NARVS - NORTH AMERICAN ROAD VEHICLE SET (v0.0.1)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

NARVS - NORTH AMERICAN ROAD VEHICLE SET (v0.0.1)

Post by NekoMaster »

Welcome to thread for the...

While a previous project of mine fell under the same name, this is sort of a modern rebirth where I
actually know how to draw and code for road vehicles.

This set aims to include a variety of buses, trucks, trams, and other road vehicles used in North America.
Everyday us North American's see a variety of buses, coaches, trucks, delivery vans, etc especially if you
live in a busy town or city.

For once it would be nice to play with stuff we see and perhaps drive, ride, or work around and use
them to our benefit.

As with my NARS Add-on Set, I'll be including anything that was used in North America, even stuff
that was designed and built else where so long as theres proof it was used to some extent in the USA,
Canada, or Mexico. Depending on the circumstances, I might even include one off demos or prototypes
that aren't North American designs.

Lastly, I might also add in some "special" stuff like emergency vehicles, taxies, hi-rail trucks as well
as other non-transport specific vehicles. Panel vans will likely make an appearance for sure as they can
be used to move small amounts of cargo around, while some van's can act as small shuttle buses.

~ VEHICLE LIST ~

For now I only have a handful of buses and coaches, which where originally drawn up to perhaps
be included in Road-Hog but I've instead decided to create my own RV set based on Road-Hog's code.

~ INSTALLATION ~

Either search for "North American Industry Set" via the ingame Content Downloader/Online Content, or download the file from here, and place the "north_american_road_vehicle_set_v#.#.#.tar" in your newgrf folder. This is the folder where your save files and OpenTTD.cfg will be. BY default the game loads grfs from your documents folder. The tar file does not need to be extracted (OpenTTD for a long time has been able to load GRF's from .tar archive files)

Windows : Documents/OpenTTD/newgrf
MAC OS : home\documents\OpenTTD\newgrf
Linux : home\documents\OpenTTD\newgrf

(Unsure about the MAC OS and Linux locations, feel free to correct me on those)

~ MISC ~

I'm open to suggestions and help, especially with sprites. I'm not much of a sprite artist these days due to a lack of time and motivation. That doesnt mean I wont try to draw stuff if I dont get any assistance with that.
I'd also really appreciate if people can send me specifications for the road vehicles in my set or RV's one might want to have included.
Data I need for adding road vehicles : Intro Date, Power, Max Speed, Weight, Seating(+Standing) Capacity, and any other misc information like length, years in production, etc.
Attachments
north_american_road_vehicle_set_v0.0.1.tar
NARVS - North American Road Vehicle Set
Version : 0.0.1
(86 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
STD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NARVS - NORTH AMERICAN ROAD VEHICLE SET (v0.0.1)

Post by STD »

I really like this set. Everything looks very cool and beautiful. Excellent work :)) .
You just have a great idea to implement such a chic project, given all described.

I look forward to the further development of this project :D . Don't forget to include trolleybuses, which are also available in North America :wink: .
[OpenTTD] STD screenshots
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[OpenTTD] STD saved games - My finished scenarios and saves from the game
My Youtube channel - OpenTTD | Wiki xUSSR set (RU) | Wiki xUSSR set (EN) | Download the latest version of the xUSSR set
TT Screenshot of the Month - the page editor | Screenshot Of The Month Contest Winner: August 2017
Sunmannus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sunmannus »

Is really nice to see another rv set. I'll be following this.
As a suggestion, the vehicle's type (coach, bus,...) could be added as additional_text in the vehicle purchase window.

Keep the good work!
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Sunmannus wrote:Is really nice to see another rv set. I'll be following this.
As a suggestion, the vehicle's type (coach, bus,...) could be added as additional_text in the vehicle purchase window.

Keep the good work!
I wanted to do that but since Road Hog has the code setup in Python the way andythenorth wants it setup, I can't figure out how to get "additional_text" to work like I did with my NARS Add-on Set 2cc.

I should probably try bugging andy to see if that can be fixed, that way I can also maybe add the name/company livery in the text though some of them will be rather obvious for people that live in those area's. FOr example, the
Nova Bus LFS 40 is based on Oshawa Transit's livery (before they where absorbed by Durham Region Transit which I ride to school monday to wednesday) while the MCI D4500CT is based on GO Transits commuter coaches they use here in Southern Ontario.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

The NABI 60BRT has a weird-looking rear tire in the NE-bound and NW-bound views. The wheels don't quite line up with each other unless you bump the rear tires up a pixel. Let me show you what could fix it...
Attachments
[4$] qbCorp, 02_14_2019.png
[4$] qbCorp, 02_14_2019.png (12.17 KiB) Viewed 13158 times
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SimYouLater wrote:The NABI 60BRT has a weird-looking rear tire in the NE-bound and NW-bound views. The wheels don't quite line up with each other unless you bump the rear tires up a pixel. Let me show you what could fix it...
I'm actually going to be redoing the sprites since they're all too big compared to locomotives and houses, but thats not a bug you found, the North American Bus Industries (NABI) 60BRT has a covered rear wheel like how some old cars had covered rear wheels. Thats why you can only see a tiny black pixel for a tire (and I'll be doing it again when I redraw the sprite)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

NekoMaster wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:The NABI 60BRT has a weird-looking rear tire in the NE-bound and NW-bound views. The wheels don't quite line up with each other unless you bump the rear tires up a pixel. Let me show you what could fix it...
I'm actually going to be redoing the sprites since they're all too big compared to locomotives and houses, but thats not a bug you found, the North American Bus Industries (NABI) 60BRT has a covered rear wheel like how some old cars had covered rear wheels. Thats why you can only see a tiny black pixel for a tire (and I'll be doing it again when I redraw the sprite)
I knew that. I just meant that the wheel was one pixel too far down and would look better a pixel highter than it is.

But if you're going to redo the graphics, I guess it can be ignored.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

I just checked your license for this. Since it's GPL v2, do you mind giving me a copy of the source code?

EDIT: For now, have a version where I corrected the sprites using GRFcodec.
Attachments
north_american_road_vehicle_set.grf
Minor correction to the rear wheel.
(56.55 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
Licenses for my work...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

SimYouLater wrote:I just checked your license for this. Since it's GPL v2, do you mind giving me a copy of the source code?

Heres a link to the dropbox folder where the source code can be downloaded : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zh9mc4b1l9q ... FsbQa?dl=0

Just download everything in the project folder, dropbox will let you download it all as a zip file. YOu should know what to do after with the zip file, though you'll need to have a compiling environment for NML and Python setup to compile code for GRF's made by andythenorth (which I used his code for Road Hog to make this)
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

NekoMaster wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:I just checked your license for this. Since it's GPL v2, do you mind giving me a copy of the source code?

Heres a link to the dropbox folder where the source code can be downloaded : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zh9mc4b1l9q ... FsbQa?dl=0

Just download everything in the project folder, dropbox will let you download it all as a zip file. YOu should know what to do after with the zip file, though you'll need to have a compiling environment for NML and Python setup to compile code for GRF's made by andythenorth (which I used his code for Road Hog to make this)
I can't figure out how to get compiling to work, so I'll just post the fixed version I made here...

Also, have you looked into implementing an NRT version of NARVS?
Attachments
ARTICULATED_BUS_NABI_60BRT.png
ARTICULATED_BUS_NABI_60BRT.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 11354 times
Licenses for my work...
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Why an NRT version of NARVS ?
Although the US has a few trolleybus systems left, there aren't any trolleybuses yet, and all trams are electric IIRC...
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

acs121 wrote:Why an NRT version of NARVS ?
Although the US has a few trolleybus systems left, there aren't any trolleybuses yet, and all trams are electric IIRC...
Because as it is, all the NARVS vehicles will run on all roadtypes.
Licenses for my work...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I'll do that eventually, though I'm working on redoing my data and keeping things a little more organize (with my files) then I did before.

For now I just want to get the basics down though I do have plans to add trolly buses, horse trams, steam and fireless trams, though north america in the late 1800's quickly converted to electric so fireless and steam trams didn't last long.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

SimYouLater wrote:
Because as it is, all the NARVS vehicles will run on all roadtypes.
Isn't that a bit meant to be the case ?
I think that if you have a roadtype such as gravel road or something like that, players could choose on which roadtype they want it to go on - except for some roadtypes such as HAUL, etc.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

This set gets a Four Star Rating! :lol: Like the road set, I'll be using this set Permanently!

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
Busses Outside Tunnel!.jpg
(295.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Road Vehicles!.jpg
(297.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

I like the way it's asks permission about the New Vehicles! :lol:

Christopher Tarana
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Hi NekoMaster,

Congratulates to your 4000 posts JUST in tt-forums.

It has been four years since the release of the latest version. Any updates so far?

I saw a grf called "North American Road Trucks Set" on openttdcoop bundles, but the latest version was released on 2019-04-15 and not uploaded to BaNaNaS. Was this a part of NARVS, and did this mean the truck file would separate from the bus file?

Regards,
John Franklin
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 13 Feb 2023 05:37 I szw a grf called "North American Road Trucks Set" on openttdcoop bundles
This set pre-dates NekkoMaster's set by a couple of years. It appears to have been created by George and Voyager One in 2016.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Compared to the newer set, it already includes some trams, while the new set only has buses. As for those, it is poorer than the new version.

Return to “Graphics Releases”