How Do I Deal With This?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

How Do I Deal With This?

Post by Svartypops »

Greetings!

Please could you fill me in on this situation? It seems to happen at least once per map...

I've got an industry that produces something that the depot in it's coverage zone can accept.

Specifically: if I bring Livestock/Wheat the industry should make food ... and the depot accepts food.

What's the crack here? Does the industry just make Food and the town Eats it (i.e. grows without my interaction)?
Do I make a truck that goes in and out of the same depot (seems stupid)?
kamnet

Re: How Do I Deal With This?

Post by kamnet »

Stations do not automatically receive cargo for consumption. All cargo must be transported. You will need to set up two stations. One which stockpiles the cargo from an industry in its cachement area, and another to receive transported cargo that is then used by the town or other industry.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Svartypops wrote: 20 Nov 2022 21:12Does the industry just make Food and the town Eats it (i.e. grows without my interaction)?
no, cargo does not travel without user interaction
Do I make a truck that goes in and out of the same depot (seems stupid)?
no, cargo cannot be delivered to the station that it came from
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

It's weird, but I guess if that's how it is, that's how it is.

Thanks for the help.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, it's probably a bit unintuitive. but sometimes game mechanics have to be as computationally simple as possible

keep in mind that the core gameplay is almost 30 years old now, and computers were much slower back then.
Svartypops
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svartypops »

I was considering that the game should simply use the (in this case) Food as one of the town's 5-a-month bonus to growth and nothing else happen. The player deserves nothing because they did nothing and the Food doesn't need transporting because the depot accepts it.

But that might indeed take up too much processing power :(
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

but think about this problem:

what if the player wants to supply multiple towns from the same food processing plant. what fraction of the food should go directly to the town, and what fraction should be loaded onto other vehicles?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The first games in the Train Fever and Transport Fever series actually did it this way. Cargo "walked" between industries, stations and town buildings, and if the cargo could find a fast way from the producing industry to the requesting town buildings without going through the player's transport system, it would do that. The industry could then produce cargo and have it delivered without the player doing anything. The player of course wouldn't make any money from that either.
They removed that in Transport Fever 2 (or maybe earlier?), presumably because it was confusing, and made cargo always need to take a player's vehicle before being able to reach a destination.

Return to “General OpenTTD”