20 years of TT-Forums, nearly…

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

20 years of TT-Forums, nearly…

Post by orudge »

I just noticed that the entity known as TT-Forums will be 20 years old in 2 weeks’ time!

The thought occurred that we might want to celebrate this milestone in some way, perhaps even with a physical meet, but not sure how many folk might want to meet up on a cold wet November weekend (by the time you get past Halloween), especially given the cost of living challenges and so on at the moment.

But if anyone is interested it would be nice to consider options, or consider if we want to do something next year when the weather is perhaps better. :)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 20 years of TT-Forums, nearly…

Post by Redirect Left »

20 years, heck. I've also spent slightly over 50% of my life as a member of these forums (I'm sorry), I'd totally be up for meeting somewhere. The beauty of living where I do, its a spur of the ECML with cheap advance price tickets to a few places!
... although sometimes those prices make no sense, once went to Bristol via Kings Cross & Paddington as it was cheaper than the direct Crosscountry train :P

As for meets, maybe setting up one at the meet most people thought was the best location before, or the one most people have fondest memories of? that is, if the majority of people who used to go to those meets (I only went to 2 :() are still active to say things about it.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I think the most well attended meets have generally been in London, and I wouldn’t be adverse to hopping on a plane down there (which would generally let me get back the same day).
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The ones I attended were York (at the Railway Museum, fittingly) and one in London, which i think we spent mostly in a pub in Holborn if my memory serves. The York one was pretty well attended, and great fun, and also had trains. However, i'd be up for any meet basically anywhere in England & Wales, and the lower parts of Scotland.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

orudge wrote: 12 Oct 2022 11:33 I just noticed that the entity known as TT-Forums will be 20 years old in 2 weeks’ time!
Might be a bit late plan get together for 20 years , but could start planning a 21st get together. Give us chance to save our coins.

In the mean time can we have a show and tell. Start a page where players can display their best screenshot since they started playing this game. Not necessary their latest creation, but their best from the past.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'd love to attend a meeting to celebrate 20 years, but I'm in the middle of moving apartments. How about a 20.5 years celebration in the lovely London spring? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote: 17 Oct 2022 10:17How about a 20.5 years celebration in the lovely London spring? :mrgreen:
Now that's an idea we can all get behind!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Damn, I just looked and in a few days it'll be 18 years I've been on the forum...!
I've been a member for over half my life :lol: :mrgreen:

I fully agree with a Grand Forum Meet to Celebrate. But I agree this time of year is a bit.. miserable.
Mid/late spring next year I'd say would be best as it's warmer, and gives more time to plan/arrange for anyone who may be travelling distance :D

My vote goes to a rave at Owen's place for the weekend.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

17 years for me as of today. It's nice to see this place still going.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

And from your profile we can see that you are only 35 years old... That's amazing if you have already managed the website for 20 years (or even 21.5 years from the "initial" stage). From middle school time! :bow: When I was in middle school although I was a top student in computer science (to show off, all subjects) I had no idea about creating my own website. And especially you were in early 2000s when there were no one-click website creating tools (e.g. WordPress). I had not played OpenTTD until my busy high school ended (however I must have heard about it, or I could not find this wonderful free game). I am more than delighted to see a 1995 old game still developing and being discussed today thanks to all leaders like you and all players like us. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I am in China, thus unable to celebrate the anniversary (decaversary?) face to face. However, I have plan to study abroad (probably in UK), so after a few years we might meet - if newbies like me were permitted to join.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Bad Hair Day wrote: 22 Oct 2022 20:31 17 years for me as of today. It's nice to see this place still going.
When I read that, I thought, what a coincidence. Driven by curiosity, I looked at my own profile. Lo and behold, I registered exactly 16 years ago today. 😆

Tschö, Auge
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 23 Oct 2022 07:29 However, I have plan to study abroad (probably in UK), so after a few years we might meet - if newbies like me were permitted to join.
All TT-Forums members are certainly welcome to our meets. We’ve not had one for a few years now (or if we have, nobody’s told me :mrgreen:) but if we have more, they’ll be well advertised here. :)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It's amazing how this forum is somehow still up, yet I've almost never thought of it these days XD

20 years of the forum, and my account has been here for 10 years. Quite the stark contrast on the first decade and on the second decade...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Off-Topic”