The longest passenger train in the world

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

The longest passenger train in the world

Post by LaChupacabra »

For those of you who missed this message. :)
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
Last Saturday (29.10.2022), the Swiss, on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of railways in the country, broke the more than 30-year-long record for the length of a passenger train previously owned by the Belgian railways (wiki). The train consisted of 25 four-car EMU Stadler Capricorn trains. Its total length was 1906 meters. If this event were to be transferred to the OTTD world, this train would be 50 tiles long... It means that there is still a possibility of breaking this record. :D
More information you can found in the link above.
Stadler Capricorn 4x25 - World Record.jpg
Stadler Capricorn 4x25 - World Record.jpg (220.11 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Stadler Capricorn 4x25 - World Record 2.jpg
Stadler Capricorn 4x25 - World Record 2.jpg (175.72 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The longest passenger train in the world

Post by Pyoro »

Nice work. As expected by Switzerland.

Fun fact: that's more modern EMUs than operating in the entire North American continent.
... okay, not actually. But probably not that far off ;)
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I wonder how the passengers boarded the cars that didn't fit into the platform...
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

That must have been drawing an insane amount of current from the OLE's.

I keep just imagining a call from the signaller.
"Hello Driver, we've had a report that your tail light isn't lit. Could you go back and check please?" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Geo Ghost wrote: 02 Nov 2022 14:54 That must have been drawing an insane amount of current from the OLE's.
Yeah, i'm surprised that it didn't blow out a lineside substation. I remember a driver I know in Melbourne saying how they managed to down a substation once by having too many trains in the same or near section to each other. Meanwhile our trains died because the frequency was ever so slightly out of spec (about 49hz instead of 50), although I think Thameslink made Siemens fix them (700s & 717s if memory serves) so they can manage a slightly out-of-spec supply. Kinda amazing the massive difference in what the systems can & can't manage country to country!

Either way, GG to Switzerland! Most I get to look forward to is 3 Sprinters strung together, or a large convoy of Pacers that were headed for storage in Keighley before being sent to the scrapyard :mrgreen:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

According to some utub channel they basically de-tuned the units to draw less power, and (apparently more importantly) to, uh, be worse at breaking - because of course those units got regenerative breaks, and apparently THAT would have caused trouble, as it'd have put just too much juice back into the system. What a problem to have ^^;

Unfortunately apparently it was only for invited guests and such, so don't think boarding was an issue. Some like 150 people or so?

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”