Brand New Monitor

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Brand New Monitor

Post by CTarana45 »

Brand New Monitor! My daughter Amanda who works at a Bloomington Area Goodwill! has been helping find used monitors for the computers! :lol: The one I bought Thursday , Quit on Friday! So this time I decided go brand new! This my first 1080p monitor also! It was made by AOpen! My wife says LegoLoco is too Fussy!

Christopher Tarana
kamnet

Re: Brand New Monitor

Post by kamnet »

I don't have anything as fancy. All my monitors are at least 10-15 years old. I seem to be collecting them. I have two in use on my desktop, three 4:3 LCD monitors and four 16:9 LCD monitors. The latter have come from my children who did upgrade to either 1080 or 2k monitors. I've also got a pair of 19" CRTs (one of them a Sony Trinatron clone)fd, and a 32", 24", 19" and 12" CRT TVs. None of those are in use currently, but I should probably part with most of them - retro gaming enthusiasts are driving the price up again. :)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

New monitors are always a nice treat, so I hope you enjoy them!
I currently have a quad-monitor setup, the main monitors being 1080p Iiyama PL2470H's I got a few month ago, to upgrade from some ancient Acer's which were also 1080p, but only 60Hz, these are 165Hz, which is much smoother. The colour is much truer too, it seems my old Acer S220HQL's were inaccurate. Since upgrading I can now see colours a lot more... colourful, I can now understand why I died so often in Counter-Strike, seems the corners I thought were dark and hard to see, were not, whereas other map areas were much darker than the Acer's said. The main one, bottom left on the quad setup is my main one I use for gaming and whatever I am really focused on at the time, with the right hand one being whatever I am watching, I live alone but hate silence, so I always have something on, usually Star Trek or Stargate, but often its YouTube too.
The top two monitors are HP EliteDisplay E201's at 1600x900, which I use for static stuff, often Discord or a browser window I'm using. Infrequently I may watch youtube on one if I have VLC still loaded with something else that's paused on the ones below. I'm also not convinced HP didn't use factory rejects for their panels to save money. At identical settings, the monitors display entirely different pictures, in pretty much every way possible, even the backlights are in no way matched to same brightness as identical levels, with one monitor able to go much brighter than the other when its set to the monitors max. So I'm not buying HP's 'Elite' part of EliteDisplay.
When I first upgraded I had awful headaches. I'm not sure if that was my brain getting used to 165hz, or if my brain was unhappy with trying to deal with 60 and 165hz together? Either way, for a while I didn't seem to agree with the difference, and I was otherwise not ill either with anything else that may cause headaches.

I do miss my really old giant Dell CRT, though... I'll never tire of the clunking noise on old CRTs when they're degaussing. In time I may upgrade the EliteDisplays to be the 165 iiyama's too, if I've not got bored of 165hz and ned more hz by then, but I'm not sure how much more than 165 will be noticeable, 60 to 165 was quite noticeable, but it probably helps I have > 500 fps in CSGO, and over > 200 in Fortnite so I can actually make use of them.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

The last CRT monitor I had was a Sony Trinitron that made it's own music when the wires expanded and shrank! :lol:

Christopher Tarana

Return to “Off-Topic”