[NewGRF] Frenchies Town Names (v0.1)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

roptat
Engineer
Engineer

[NewGRF] Frenchies Town Names (v0.1)

Post by roptat »

Hi everyone!
« Le train TER numéro 98058 à destination de Pontvif va partir. Il desservira les gares de Sainte-Foy-le-Grand, Saint-Bonnet-la-Ville, Pontbel, Pignanvilliers, Castelvaux, Écailhé, Trauzoc et Pontvif, son terminus. Prenez garde à la fermeture automatique des portes. »
After watching a video on town name generation, I figured that the French names were not generated like the English names, but only taken from a very small list. I looked for NewGRFs that would generate fake but believable names, and found nothing. The only NewGRFs I found on Bananas simply had a larger list of town names (which is already a great improvement, especially for large maps). I think random fake names are more funny though, so I started to learn about how to make a NewGRF for city names. I had some troubles with nmlc, so in the end I went low-level and created my own script to generate a NewGRF.

The names it's able to generate are usually small towns. I think it's pretty good already, but I plan to add some more options to generate regional names, like "only names from Britanny" or "only names from Alsace". I think it could be fun :)

It's available on Bananas

The license is GPL3+ and the source is available on GitHub. Look at generate.py which does all the work, and is heavily commented :)

To give you a small taste of what you can get, here are a few examples from my current game.
  • Saint-Hilaire-les-Lacs
  • Pontblanc
  • Rirsouls
  • Moilhéglise
  • Sarnoc
  • Saint-Vincent-le-Bas
  • Broinvillier-le-Duc
I hope you enjoy, and if you find issues with generated names (such as, a name that cannot exist due to orthographic rules), please report!

Have fun!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [NewGRF] Frenchies Town Names (v0.1)

Post by acs121 »

Hello,

Thank you very much for your GRF !

It shall be very helpful for me although I already used my own imagination.

Return to “Graphics Releases”