Game Data export, or connect with DBMS

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

thiagoperissoli
Engineer
Engineer

Game Data export, or connect with DBMS

Post by thiagoperissoli »

Hello guys,
my question is whether it is possible to connect the game to some kind of DBMS or directly to powerBI, for example.

A simple example: cities.
I want to track the number and population.

Another thing, the registration and value of buses.

It's possible?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Game Data export, or connect with DBMS

Post by jfs »

Not quite.

When running a multiplayer game (even if you're the only player) you can use some external program connect to the Admin Port and query various data. Together with an appropriate Game Script it would be possible to extract more or less anything from the game. But that requires having both a program designed to talk to the admin port, and a GS designed to deliver the appropriate data.

Your best other bet would be patching the game in a way to let it dump out the data you want.

Or you could try something to read the savegame files and parse information out of those, but that's quite involved and would probably be easier to do as a patched version of the game anyway.
thiagoperissoli
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Game Data export, or connect with DBMS

Post by thiagoperissoli »

jfs wrote: 18 Oct 2022 18:53 Not quite.

When running a multiplayer game (even if you're the only player) you can use some external program connect to the Admin Port and query various data. Together with an appropriate Game Script it would be possible to extract more or less anything from the game. But that requires having both a program designed to talk to the admin port, and a GS designed to deliver the appropriate data.

Your best other bet would be patching the game in a way to let it dump out the data you want.

Or you could try something to read the savegame files and parse information out of those, but that's quite involved and would probably be easier to do as a patched version of the game anyway.
Thanks for the reply!

Understood. It is possible, but not so easy.

The problem is that the options are already beyond my technical capacity to achieve anything in this direction. Another option would be to pay someone to do it for me, but the fun starts to get expensive.

You said external program that can connect to the Admin port. Can you give me a practical example of one of these? Just so I can direct my studies.

Thanks!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”