Information on Industries economics and new town development

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Information on Industries economics and new town development

Post by zifox »

Hey,

is there a page somewhere where I could get the details of the industries behavior, and on the new town development scheme ?
I've launched a game a few days/weeks ago and I feel the industry economics have changed from way before. (industry output not evolving like I'm accustomed to, 30 years into the game the outputs of the primary industries have not changed or slightly decreased even if they have a very good service)
Also, the way the towns are growing surprised me, it seems they grow away from my stations, maybe this has something to do with the noise parameter ? (although the noise in the cities is always (0 / 3).

Ideally, is there somewhere the details of the math used in the game ?

Thanks !
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Information on Industries economics and new town development

Post by odisseus »

Each industry has a production cap beyond which the production cannot increase. It is about 200 units for banks, and about 2000 units for everything else. But even if your service rating is 100%, there is a small chance that the production will decrease.

A town always tries to grow symmetrically about its centre tile. The relative position of stations does not matter, as long as they are within the town's authority zone.

However, these behaviours can be changed by add-ons.

More information is available somewhere in the wiki, but good luck finding it after the site migration has broken the search.
zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zifox »

The site https://wiki.openttd.org/Main_Page is apparently down.

I'm very far from the 200/2000 units, i'm struggling with Mines/Farms/Forest with very low outputs (36 for mines, from 8 to 48 in farms). :shock:
From my previous games, I remember that a well operated industry would increase its output regularly, I had up to 800 units at the end of my games.

I need to check if a stable economy combined with no industry creation could be the reason for this.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Can you post a saved game?
zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zifox »

Here is one.

The game starts in 1920, you'll need ukrs3.
Attachments
MacDonald & Co., 4 Mai 1958.sav
(6 MiB) Downloaded 43 times
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Most of your stations have rating in the range of 30-70 %. To make sure the production grows consistently, you need to keep the station rating above 70%. Ideally, there should be at least one vehicle loading at all times.
zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zifox »

Do this page still apply ?
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Game%20Mechanics/
That's how I remembered it to work, and keep an industry above 50% would be enough to see a small increase in output over 20-30 years, then in later parts of the game, with high speed trains you could keep the rating above 80% and the outputs would skyrocket.

Searching for info on various website, i came onto several reddit posts with people have the same kind of weird behavior, one guy posting about a mine in 2008 with ratings not going up and output between 40 and 50.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

The page basically says that the production is more likely to decrease than increase, unless your station rating is higher than 60%. This is consistent with my own observations.

If you are serving a lot of industries, statistically some of them may increase production so much as to offset the drop in other industries. This is probably what you have been observing in other games.
zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zifox »

I've made several tests, and the behavior is that, unless you can have a service over 80%, an industry with low outputs (around 40 and below) don't get an increase on the long term. I'm not sure why, since the code doesn't have anything specific set for low output industries, I'm wondering if the various calculus, which are made with integers only, might suffer from rounding with low values.

I'm modified my scenario, basically increased the outputs of many industries. This way the industries not serviced at the beginning keep an higher output and it's easier to make they production grow later.

Return to “General OpenTTD”