Initial Loan amount issues

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Initial Loan amount issues

Post by skc »

Apologies if this has already been raised and dealt with elsewhere, but an advanced search of "+initial +loan" didn't show me an answer to this issue.

Just to see what happened, I decided to start my game with $0 initial loan.
Obviously, I can't do any building without resorting to the cheat menu, but as you'll see in the screenshot there's a possible issue: I was charged a few dollars of loan interest, yet I haven't been able to borrow any money.
Unnamed, 1901-01-12.png
(666.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1) What is the rationale behind allowing a $0 initial loan? Shouldn't the minimum possible be $100kUSD (50k GBP)?

2) Where's the loan interest coming from???
kamnet

Re: Initial Loan amount issues

Post by kamnet »

The reason for being able to set the minimum loan to zero is for players who do wish to cheat money to start and not worry about repaying the loan. This can be done through the cheat menu, or in multiplayer another player can gift them the money.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you could also have a game script that hands out money
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I think the loan interest charged might be for overdraft, but I'm not sure.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

There are "other" expenses deduced automatically (company fixed costs?), thus you have loan (see red numbers) anyway.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

skc wrote: 04 Oct 2022 07:51 1) What is the rationale behind allowing a $0 initial loan? Shouldn't the minimum possible be $100kUSD (50k GBP)?
I don't know if set "0" that is preventing taking any loan makes sense, but a setting like 1000 or 10 000 would allow you to create zero-to-millionaire games and scenarios, where the initial limit allows you to do very little, for example buying one bus, with sometimes you will be able to buy a second one with the money you save, then another, and over time, with this small loan, you will build a great transport empire. or just a nice company. ;)
The problem is that there is no such possibility. There is a bug in the game where entering any amount below 50,000 makes the limit 0. The fact is that any input other than a multiple of 50,000 is ignored and the selected amount is rounded down.

I reported that bug on github here.

skc wrote: 04 Oct 2022 07:51 2) Where's the loan interest coming from???
Regardless of whether you do something or not, there are always some small costs you need to pay. This is interest on your debt - you have an overdraft on your account. ;)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”