[JGRpp] Fortune Bay, 1993 - (Hopefully) authentic scenario for urban & rural transportation

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

[JGRpp] Fortune Bay, 1993 - (Hopefully) authentic scenario for urban & rural transportation

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Hey guys,

Fortune Bay is a hand-crafted scenario I made for my own entertainment, which attempts to be a fictional but authentic ex-British colony somewhere in sub-Saharan Africa or South America. Thanks to the fact I'm now using a well-supported public fork instead of my ancient, self-compiled version of OpenTTD, I can share it with the forum as a byproduct so to speak. As far as play styles are concerned, the map contains several large cities for EL, suburban rail and extensive tram networks, whereas the resource-rich highlands are largely rural in character and sparsely populated. Since FIRS "In a Hot Country" is focused heavily on the export of raw materials and exotic goods, a good portion of any cargo flow will likely originate in the highlands and terminate at the various shipping terminals, with petrol and supplies moving in the opposite direction.

Highmap: Congo river basin from BANANAS (modified)
Towns: Managed by the Villages is Villages script
Industries: Static and managed by VisV (can be disabled in the scenario editor). I think the game tends to spawn way too many industries during actual gameplay.

Fortune Bay comes in two flavours:

Complete, daylength 50
- The one I play.
- UKRS2, 600mm narrow gauge, HEQS, eGRVTS2, City Tram Set, Squid, AV8, General AV8
- A couple of station sets.
- Running costs adjusted with BaseCosts 4.0 because scaling was WAY off and prevented many vehicles from ever turning a profit.
- Cargodist for PAX and cargo.

Complete, daylength 1
- The same, but with default running costs.
- Town cargo generation reduced somewhat.

As always, don't forget to tweak the settings and newGRF parameters to your liking.

Kind Regards,
The Axe
Attachments
Fortune Bay_setup_contours.jpg
Fortune Bay_setup_contours.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Fortune Bay_setup_road network.jpg
Fortune Bay_setup_road network.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
supplemental NewGRF package.zip
Includes AV8 with range limits removed.
(4.16 MiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by Dr. B. Ching on 29 Jan 2019 17:39, edited 6 times in total.
My scenarios for JGRpp: Motor City (1910), Fortune Bay (1993)
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [JGRpp] Fortune Bay, 1993 - (Hopefully) authentic scenario for urban & rural transportation

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

This page was intentionally left blank.
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [JGRpp] Fortune Bay, 1993 - (Hopefully) authentic scenario for urban & rural transportation

Post by arikover »

It sounds really nice, and I will definitely give it a try! Just judging by the map pictures you posted, it seems there was a lot of work on the rivers/lakes as well as on the road network. Congratulations!
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Thanks. Yeah, it was quite a bit of work, but given that I'm going to get a lot more mileage and enjoyment out of Fortune Bay than some randomly generated map, I'd call it even in the end. Good highmaps are a must, though. No matter the settings, I just can't seem to achieve any decent results with TerraGenesis. Everything's bland, sort of similar, nonsensical in terrain distribution and boring overall.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

So uhm, it just occurred to me that not all NewGRFs are available from our favorite fruit store. I've attached the missing bunch to the first post for your convenience.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Spotted a few glitches in the road network here and there while playing, and added three station sets. Scenario and newGRF package (first post) updated.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Yet another and hopefully final bugfix release. Also, air travel should be a more viable business now...what was up with those crazy-high infrastructure maintenance costs anyway? Honestly don't know where these came from.
Attachments
Fortune Bay_daylength 50_v1.3.scn
(5.58 MiB) Downloaded 226 times
Fortune Bay_daylength 1_v1.3.scn
(5.58 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
DeletedUser22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser22 »

Looks good! Will be potentially playing it on our server. I'll post a screenshot if we do
DeletedUser22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeletedUser22 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/commen ... _jan_1993/

Here were the results, game is still going but has slowed down :)
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Glad you've had fun with the map resp. scenario! Thanks for sharing.
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Hello, friends! Long time no see. I have updated Fortune Bay for JGRpp 0.48.1.

- I had to redo the entire road network with U&RaTT 0.7a, which required an absolutely herculean effort. Vehicle sets are NRT-aware were available.
- All industries are now connected in a sensible fashion, but don't expect stellar infrastructure. We're in the middle of the jungle. Winding roads and missing shortcuts are entirely intentional. Kept most of them were they were and found ways to get roads to them; thought it would make for a more interesting experience to craft and play.
- Infrastructure away from the three Big Cities is poor, and the terrain very challenging. Might be a good opportunity to try a network of small airports and bush planes as if we're somewhere in South America or whatnot. There's plenty of small aircraft to chose from courtesy of AV8. And also the seaplane port (use TwinOtters refitted with floats) you have to combine with fake water tiles to prevent it getting flooded.

Villages is Villages you'll have to download and add manually, I think. Here's my settings from openttd.cfg:

[game_scripts]
"Villages Is Villages" = manage_industries=1,max_town_size=6000,min_cargo_transported=25,min_industries_served=20,min_mail_transported=0,min_pax_transported=0,min_town_size=400

Enjoy.
Attachments
Fortune Bay_daylength 1.scn
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Fortune Bay_daylength 75.scn
(6.71 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Includes AV8 with range limits removed.
(18.63 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Just a small bugfix. Forgot to re-add the liquids terminal I intended to move. Oops...
For an ongoing game, you can do it yourself. Temporarily change your savegame's file extension to .scn and apply the necessary fix in the scenario editor.
Attachments
(6.7 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
(6.7 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

I ran into some problems with those 2019-vintage cargodist settings. These should work better.
Attachments
(6.7 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
(6.7 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
Fortune Bay Cargodist Upd.jpg
Fortune Bay Cargodist Upd.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Minor tweak and bugfix update. I also ran into the 1000 road vehicle limit... imagine that!

Changes for cargodist:
- Effect of distance on demands: 33%
- Saturation of short paths: 33%
- Aircraft modifier: 100%

Seems to work quite well for small commuter aircraft and long-distance passenger buses.

I also drastically reduced the amount of town cargo generated (0.25) for my own game, but I won't be making it part of the public scenario because it's a very niche type of playstyle.
Attachments
(5.38 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
(5.38 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
Dr. B. Ching
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr. B. Ching »

Another minor(ish) update:

- Updated multiple vehicle sets (UKRS2+ Community, 600mm narrow gauge, eGRVTS2.1).
- Added ISR-style waypoints.
- Swapped FISH for SHARK because the lack of modern passenger ferries became really quite annoying.
- Some small road network fixes.
Attachments
(5.54 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
(5.41 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Includes AV8 with range restrictions removed.
(19.47 MiB) Downloaded 92 times

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”