[TrueGRF] Simple new industry NewGRF not working, how to debug?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

[TrueGRF] Simple new industry NewGRF not working, how to debug?

Post by pickpacket »

I made a NewGRF to introduce tea (gross oversight that it wasn't already in the game :wink: ) but when I try it I get the message "No vehicles at all available. Change your NewGRF settings." I don't know what's wrong and I don't know how to debug it :( The in-game console gives me nothing, and neither do debug printouts.

I could use and and all tips for debugging and fixing this.

https://github.com/bjornwarmedal/teapot-love
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [TrueGRF] Simple new industry NewGRF not working, how to debug?

Post by pickpacket »

Alright! I found a setting in the yaml files saying "available: false" and set that to true instead and now it works!

... Except it's now the *only* industry on the map...
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Sorry, I'm no programmer, but... The game says it clearly, there are no vehicles available. The cargo must also be supported by some set of vehicles, as I understand newgrf's behavior.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Argus wrote: 26 Sep 2022 21:43 Sorry, I'm no programmer, but... The game says it clearly, there are no vehicles available. The cargo must also be supported by some set of vehicles, as I understand newgrf's behavior.
Since OpenTTD 12, the base vehicles support any newgrf cargo that sets cargo classes. :)

Prior to OpenTTD 12, the behaviour of base vehicles with newgrf cargos was much less useful.
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

I believe I've figured out what's going on. As I added in my last post I got it to work, but I think the industry NewGRFs from TrueGRF deactivates the default industry set by default to avoid ID collisions. Which is a huge problem for me since I want to add a new industry rather than an entire new set.

I'll have to look at NML or NFO if I want this to work, I believe. And I'll probably need to add a new vehicle set as well since I want it to work with older versions of OpenTTD. The version in the current Debian Stable (Bullseye) is 1.10.3.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, I didn't write that, because everyone knows that newgrf disables basic graphics.

Return to “Graphics Development”