SPanish Trainset (SPTS)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Monty_Montana
Engineer
Engineer

SPanish Trainset (SPTS)

Post by Monty_Montana »

Hi everybody!

Everybody who have played OpenTTD with Spanish trains surely knows a NewGRF called Spain Set. It is a much complete set, with a great variety of steam, diesel, electric trains and also including wagons. The set is pretty old by now, having its last release in 2013, with some minor not widely released fixes after that. Despite being a great set we all have enjoyed, it is clear a renewed one should substitute it.

These are the reasons a new project has just begun: SPanish Trainset (SPTS)!

The project pretends to be the replacement set of the old SpainSet. It will be created in NML (no more NFO, please), trying to include all features in the old set and maybe expanding it (since new trains in Spain after 2013 are not included in Spain set). Of course, the bugs of the old set will be fixed (some of them we all have taken as an advantage, pre-Eurosprinter maintenance costs :lol: )

This thread is supposed to be the place of tt-forums to discuss issues about the set. Further news will be announced here, as soon as the project starts to be developed...

Everybody who wants to help will be welcomed! Programmers, graphic artists, NML experts, Spain railway historians, ...

Hope you like it!
Zardoz89
Engineer
Engineer

Re: SPanish Trainset (SPTS)

Post by Zardoz89 »

We have the actual stuff on this repository : https://github.com/Zardoz89/spainset-engines

The NML code it's highly templated to avoid all the boring stuff of copy/paste&editing nearly identical code between engines. Actually I have the templates to generate the steam engines NML code, reading all the data from a CSV file (generated from a spreadsheet file).

I upload here a image of the WIP GRF working with only two engines (using the same sprites...) They are the two firsts on the purcharse list. The others are from the old Spanish trainset, that I have loaded to compare.

The idea, it's reuse the graphics of the old set, but have all the code write on NML and where it's possible, auto generated from CSV files.

As Monty_Montana said, the project pretends to be the replacement set of the old SpainSet. The version 1.0 aims to have all the engines (with all errors fixed, and with correct engine data) from the original set. The wagons, should be on a separated GRF (that I don't begin to create yet, but will be when the GRF for engines have a few more working). Also, I like to use the Standardized Railtype Scheme to make compatible with modern track GRF.

A TODO list, it's here : https://github.com/Zardoz89/spainset-engines#todo

Also, we would love to have on board the original creators of the Spain trainset, or at least his bless with this.
Attachments
spts-engines-wip01.png
Initial WIP
(808.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Zardoz89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zardoz89 »

small update :
  • Update scripts to make more easy to genrate the GRF
  • Adapted the build_nml.py script so could generate diesel and electric engines when the templates for all these engines are created
  • Steam templates now puts the extra data of track gauge and kind of service expected from the engine
  • Added data to generated all the steam machines from the Spanish Taster set v1.30b
Monty_Montana
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monty_Montana »

Hi everybody!

First pre-release: 0.1

The set will be uploaded to BaNaNaS the next days. EDIT: uploaded to BaNaNaS at 2021-03-31T20:26:52+00:00 (https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/53505301)

See you soon!
Attachments
spts.grf
(94.49 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
spts-0.1.tar
(120 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by Monty_Montana on 01 Apr 2021 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

I see from the picture that the track gauge is "Iberian".
Are you changing this to a broad gauge set?
Is track included?

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Monty_Montana
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monty_Montana »

Hi

There are at least 3 major railway gauges in Spain (further info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge_in_Spain)

Are you changing this to a broad gauge set?: Well, i dont understand what do you mean.

Is track included?: it is! Iberian gauge can be enabled/disabled via parameter. So you can play with default OpenTTD tracks (electrified, not-eletrified) or activate spanish different track gauges (iberian, iberian electrified, uic); in the latter case, some trains will be only allow to run on certain tracks.

Please, note this set is in a early-development status. Things can change in the future...

Hope i have solved some of your doubts. Ask again otherwise.

Montana.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Monty_Montana wrote: 30 Mar 2021 20:41 Are you changing this to a broad gauge set?: Well, i dont understand what do you mean.
Broad gauge is a general term used whenever the track gauge is wider - or broader than Standard gauge ( I see you use UIC to define Standard (1,435mm) gauge).
So, for example, Iberian (1,668mm), Russian (1,520mm) and Irish (1,600mm) gauges are all classed as "Broad" gauges.
At the other end of the scale, Metre gauge and Cape gauge (1,067mm), for example, are both classed as "Narrow" gauges.
Monty_Montana wrote: 30 Mar 2021 20:41 There are at least 3 major railway gauges in Spain (further info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge_in_Spain)
Yes, I was aware of this. Does this mean we can expect some metre gauge trains sometime in the future? :wink:
Monty_Montana wrote: 30 Mar 2021 20:41 Is track included?: it is! Iberian gauge can be enabled/disabled via parameter.........
..........some trains will be only allow to run on certain tracks.
This is good news. I like to play on large maps which I divide into different "regions" using different tracktypes and/or trainsets, so this will be fun!
Monty_Montana wrote: 30 Mar 2021 20:41 Hope i have solved some of your doubts.
Yes you have. Thank you.

Pete.

Monty_Montana
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monty_Montana »

Captain Rand wrote: 31 Mar 2021 10:49 Broad gauge is a general term used whenever the track gauge is wider - or broader than Standard gauge ( I see you use UIC to define Standard (1,435mm) gauge).
So, for example, Iberian (1,668mm), Russian (1,520mm) and Irish (1,600mm) gauges are all classed as "Broad" gauges.
At the other end of the scale, Metre gauge and Cape gauge (1,067mm), for example, are both classed as "Narrow" gauges.
Yea, I know. What I did not understand was the question. "Are you changing this to a broad gauge set?" This set is a re-implementation of an older Spain Set. So no changing at all. As i said, trains included are distinguished by gauge. However, you can overcome that distintion by parameter, using only 1 gauge, as explaned before. In fact, the set is designed for using a general scheme for track gauges, meaning this set tracks should be compatible with other set trains.
Captain Rand wrote: 31 Mar 2021 10:49 Yes, I was aware of this. Does this mean we can expect some metre gauge trains sometime in the future?
Yes, you can expect... XD. Well, it is not a priority feature, but a long term one. There is a set of spanish narrow gauge trains called FEVE.
Captain Rand wrote: 31 Mar 2021 10:49 This is good news. I like to play on large maps which I divide into different "regions" using different tracktypes and/or trainsets, so this will be fun!
Nice concept!
Captain Rand wrote: 31 Mar 2021 10:49 Yes you have. Thank you.
Glad to read that. Reply with anything you want to know. And, of course, download and test the NewGRF! And comment any thing you think about it!

Regards, Montana
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

Monty_Montana wrote: 31 Mar 2021 13:35 ....What I did not understand was the question. "Are you changing this to a broad gauge set?" This set is a re-implementation of an older Spain Set. So no changing at all.
I've been using the old Spain Set taster for a few years now, but I saw no parameters to change gauge and I've been running it on Standard gauge - which is why I asked if you were changing to Broad gauge. Maybe the version I'm using (v1.24) is very old and the parameters hadn't yet been implemented. Or maybe I missed something and didn't set it up properly. All it says is "Number of Parameters" with no other options. I'll bet there's a "Readme" file somewhere with instructions. I never saw one.
No matter, I'll be using your new version when I start a new game.
Monty_Montana wrote: 31 Mar 2021 13:35
Captain Rand wrote: 31 Mar 2021 10:49 ..... Does this mean we can expect some metre gauge trains sometime in the future?
Yes, you can expect... XD. Well, it is not a priority feature, but a long term one. There is a set of spanish narrow gauge trains called FEVE.
That's great, I'll look forward to that. I've been reading about FEVE, Very interesting.

Monty_Montana
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Monty_Montana »

Captain Rand wrote: 01 Apr 2021 00:57 I've been using the old Spain Set taster for a few years now, but I saw no parameters to change gauge and I've been running it on Standard gauge - which is why I asked if you were changing to Broad gauge. Maybe the version I'm using (v1.24) is very old and the parameters hadn't yet been implemented. Or maybe I missed something and didn't set it up properly. All it says is "Number of Parameters" with no other options. I'll bet there's a "Readme" file somewhere with instructions. I never saw one.
No matter, I'll be using your new version when I start a new game.
Oh, well... Now I do understand the question. Yes, the old set does not have parameters, and it does not include tracks. The new set is a re-implementation and it includes new tracks by default.

Latest version I know is 1.30b, and it does not have parameters neither. Do not consider "Number of parameters" as paramters per se(only applies to very old NewGRF's for which there is an intention of using this trick to set parameters). AFAIK, It has not intended efects nor there is not readme for that set.

Glad you want to use new version! It was uploaded to BaNaNaS yesterday! So you can download it ingame. For the moment, only a few electric locomotives are available, so it is not much ... useful. Therefore, consider this as a teaser for a bigger set that will grow over time.
Captain Rand wrote: 01 Apr 2021 00:57 That's great, I'll look forward to that. I've been reading about FEVE, Very interesting.
There are 2 threads on this forums about spanish set: viewtopic.php?t=14884 and viewtopic.php?t=46836. Surely you can find FEVE set there.

Regards, Montana.
Fedello
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fedello »

Hey there! Is the project still goes on, I would like to help! I played more than 10 years ago on ttdistas.es and really enjoyed the servers and those trains! Let me know anything!
erdek
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erdek »

Hi everyone,
Maybe I'm the only one but only two locomotives of the set, the 260 and 261, are available in my depots when playing with this 0.1 version. Maybe it is some kind of incompatibility with the old versions of ottd, as I keep playing with the 1.10 version, but it is strange and I wanted to let you know.
When I load some of the old testers all the locos and wagons seem to be there.
I hope you can finally be able to release a good and complete version if this set. It sure deserves it after such a lot of work.
Zardoz89
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zardoz89 »

I recently find the PixelTool from Richard Wheeler and I give a try to make the first steam engine that ran on Spain, the Mataró. A "Crewe type" steam engine.
unknown.png
unknown.png (122.93 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
CTarana45
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CTarana45 »

It's a good thing the Trains are free because they are not making money! :)

Christopher Tarana
Attachments
Spansih Train Bug.jpg
(303.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Graphics Development”