Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

Thanks pineapple. :) I apologise for the lack of documentation - I did start, but then I made changes to how some things worked, so I thought I'd leave the documents until everything was finalised.

In any case, I hope the set is reasonably self-explaining, and similar enough to the default industries that most players can find their way through. One little correction to your flow chart - the Fishing Port uses Engineering Supplies, not Farm.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

In temperate climate houses don't accept food. Is this intentional or this is a bug (or engine limitation etc.) ?
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

luk3Z wrote: 05 Jul 2022 18:34 In temperate climate houses don't accept food. Is this intentional or this is a bug (or engine limitation etc.) ?
Default inhabitants don't need food.png
Default inhabitants don't need food.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Sometimes it makes sense to read the descriptions. ;)
You can fix the game by adding one of the building sets. Not immediately, but over time, as the city grows, the buildings will be replaced. I guess all sets are accept the food.

By the way, you've made a really nice set Pikka. :) Finally, accumulated supplies are visible and finally supplying coal to the power plant makes sense. :D I must admit that Milek and I planned to add something similar to the New World Disorder script. There, the supply of coal to the power plant was to be counted globally (or locally, taking into account distance) and shared between cities. This was to condition their development...
In any case, there will be a few things that could be improved. ;)

1. Steel mills have a very low productivity.
I provide 820 tons of iron ore and 270 tons of coal. The smelter produces only 520 tons of steel, of which even less, about 400 tons, ends up at the station. Taking this into account and the unattractive rates for the transport of steel, its transport and production seem to be not very encouraging.
2. Low maximum steel production.
This is an additional and also discouraging problem with the steel mills. Breaking production records can be one of the most interesting elements of the gameplay and competition. Here the maximum level is reached very quickly. For example, an option to disable or increase this limit would be useful.
3. Overfilling the steel mills and power plant depots is inevitable, even with a small oversupply.
Even if I deliver just 20 tons of coal too much, the depot will overflow over time. With larger deliveries, sometimes it's really hard to keep the perfect balance. I think it could be easily prevented if, in the event of a large stockpile, some simply disappeared. For example, 1% a week if there are more than 20,000 and 2% if there are more than 40,000.
4. For some reason, a power plant doesn't always see eneterprises that require energy.
The numbers of cities and eneterprises are changing all the time, eg 0/480/0/480. In addition, the given number of cities and enterprises does not have much to do with the situation on the map.
Power Station bug.png
Power Station bug.png (114.05 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Perhaps a better solution, if feasible, would be to consider the population instead of the number of cities and the sum of all production instead of the number of enterprises.
5. Could use another explanation for the power boost function.
For eneterprises, it would be useful to know what this feature does. I can see that production is doubling, but I don't know if it's because of the increased processing speed or because the same amount of raw material is simply producing twice as much.
In the case of power plants, the "Boost will be disabled if fuel stockpile falls to 0 days" rule is not the most convenient one to remember. I think it would be better if there was always one value, which is these 90 days.
6. The graphics of the power plant don't look much like a power plant.
For me it is misleading and more like some chemical plants. Cooling towers are the main characteristic of most power plants. This is also the case with power plants in other sets. If not, at least larger main chimneys could be used.
7. Stores that accept food.
They would be a solution to the problem of non-acceptance by default buildings.
8. Fuel depot for accept fuel by cities.
I don't know which set currently accepts them, but most just don't. So it would be useful to add enterprise that could be built near cities and would accept these cargoes.
9. Goods and food accepted only by dedicated stores.
I always thought that such a solution could have an interesting effect in the game, if this acceptance was proportional to the size of the cities. This would probably require the use of different identifiers and thus no translations for these cargoes would be available anymore.
10. Building materials.
For the previous set you made an add-on with a brickworks, clay pit and quarry. I don't think it would be bad if these enterprises also appeared here, but it would be better if they produced building materials instead of goods - they can be used more interestingly through the script for city development.
11. Valuables
They were also in the previous set. They could be an interesting complement to the set, if some more interesting mechanism was used. For example, if their production volume depended on the size of the city, or the amount of goods delivered... The maximum production could be limited, for example, at random. When the bank reaches its end of capacity, another bank may appear in the city with another randomly set limit. I don't know if it's feasible and interesting. Just one of the ideas. ;)
12. Translations into other languages.
It would be nice if you could provide this option. I would like to do a translation at least for my language. :) When there are default and new cargoes, their names are in different languages. This is quite confusing and you have to deal with it every time you buy a vehicle.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Macchinista
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v123 February 6 2022

Post by Macchinista »

PikkaBird wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:35 Thanks for the offer! There are no language files currently because this set isn't coded in NML.

The set in its current incarnation is really just a proof of concept - I won't consider it complete until it uses its own graphics, instead of the FIRS sprites. As part of that process, I will organise the texts and open it up for translation. But that might not be for a while.
I am available to do an Italian translation.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

LaChupacabra wrote: 06 Jul 2022 00:45 2. Low maximum steel production.
You can double the steel production in a location by building a second steel mill.

One of the interesting things I've found over the years is how often people say they want limits to exist, but they never want to hit them - ie, they want them for flavour rather than actual gameplay.
LaChupacabra wrote: 06 Jul 2022 00:45 3. Overfilling the steel mills and power plant depots is inevitable, even with a small oversupply.
There is an OpenTTD limit of 65k per cargo stockpile. Deliveries in excess are paid but disappear.
LaChupacabra wrote: 06 Jul 2022 00:45 4. For some reason, a power plant doesn't always see eneterprises that require energy.
The power plant consumption is based on the population of the local town, and boosting tertiary industries in that town only. Yes, this needs explaining in a manual, yet to be produced.
LaChupacabra wrote: 06 Jul 2022 00:45 8. Fuel depot for accept fuel by cities.
This exists, it is the power plant.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

PikkaBird wrote: 02 Sep 2022 04:04 There is an OpenTTD limit of 65k per cargo stockpile. Deliveries in excess are paid but disappear.
Having experienced this in many a PIRS game and then done some experimentation, I've discovered that you actually do NOT get paid for deliveries in excess.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Really? That's interesting. :lol:

In that case, this is an OpenTTD thing, rather than a GRF thing.
AnniKa32
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AnniKa32 »

hey, any updates here? :)

i tried some industries, but this one seems to be the best.
i would fancy to help with a german translation since i play with multiplayer some ppl that dont speak english very good for reasons.

greetings
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Gave this a shot with Japan buildings...did 20 years to save up enough money for a FPP and farm...only to find that the Japan housing set doesn't accept food with this newGRF. But if I change the industry set to FIRS as an example, the same houses do?

I know I can turn FPP to producing goods but for immersion sake that is kind of a dealbreaker for me 😅

So seems to be on the industry not housing side of things? Unless Japan buildings are configured to recognize FIRS food, rather than vice versa.

Return to “Graphics Development”