Looking for an updated comprehensive guide to signals

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lorgarn
Engineer
Engineer

Looking for an updated comprehensive guide to signals

Post by lorgarn »

Hello,
it has been almost 2 years since I last played openTTD. I put considerable time into learning how signals work, and as of today I feel all of that has been 'overhauled' and 'simplified'.
I have just tried for about 2 hours to get a simple terminus station to work, and did a search for tutorials, which all seam outdated.

I was able to build rather complicated stations and signal structures around those back in the day, perhaps this has to be done differently now, or I did it wrong and need to adapt to that.
Nevertheless, I need a comprehensive guide on how signals work and are supposed to be used in the latest version of the game.

Best regards.
kamnet

Re: Looking for an updated comprehensive guide to signals

Post by kamnet »

None of the guides are outdated. Block signals, pre-signals, path-based signals etc have all worked the same way since OpenTTD 1.0.0.

With OpenTTD 12.0, though, the interface has been simplified to show only the path-based signals and block signals by default. Pretty much everything that needs to be done can be done using path-based signals. The decision to make them the default was to help new players get started faster and be less confused about all the other types of signals.

My own rules for signals are simple:

1. A signal block should be no shorter than the longest train that will be in the block, otherwise the end of the train will stick out and back up trains behind it.

2. Always put a signal before any intersection or junction, and again make sure the next signal is far enough away that a train doesn't stop in the middle of an intersection to block other traffic.

3. Always place a signal before a station where you need a train to stop in case the platform is in use.

4. Always place a signal facing inwards towards a platform so trains know when they can leave.

Return to “General OpenTTD”