friends list

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

McDeffice
Engineer
Engineer

friends list

Post by McDeffice »

Would it be possible to create a system that allows to add friends? I often play with the same friends who are not always on the same servers. I would like to have a list of my friends who are online on the game and to know on which servers they are.

I imagine that it obviously does not have a technical way to set up?
I don't know how other games go about creating this function. I imagine that you need a database containing each user (if he wishes) who connects to a server and centralize this information
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: friends list

Post by jfs »

Yeah, there is no such thing as an identity within OpenTTD, so it isn't possible to follow people.

However, it should be possible to do some kind of integration with external services such as Discord or Steam community. Someone (read: probably me) just needs to get it done.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

my last information is that integrating with steam services isn't a technical problem, but a licensing problem, because the steam toolkit's license isn't compatible with GPL
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

It is very much a licensing issue, yes, but there are ways around it.

Making a Discord integration should be possible with an open API that can be linked into GPL code. That would let us distribute a DLL using a generic interface that integrates with Discord.

Then make a free DLC for the Steam distribution, that DLC will install a non-GPL DLL that implements the same interface as the Discord DLL. That way the non-GPL code distribution is distributed separate from the GPL code, and the interface the non-GPL DLL links against is demonstrated to also be designed for fully open integrations.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, it's not me you have to convince with that argument :)
garticphone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by garticphone »

You can invite your friends to a certain room to play together like discord for example. gartic phone

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”