[OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

m26pershing
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2216) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by m26pershing »

NekoMaster wrote:Nothing I can do about their speeds as thats their real max speeds.
The 'Service Speed' listed on wikipedia is misleading. The BBD M7,M8 Railcar and M2 were all designed to be used in regular service at 100 mph. In fact, up until five years ago the M2 and M8 Railcar were both used at higher speeds. All three have been reduced to lower max speeds because of the decrepit and still declining state of American infrastructure.

America's infrastructure problems shouldn't matter in OpenTTD where all transport companies diligently pay the property maintenance fee
NekoMaster wrote:100 mph or 163 km/h is a bit too fast for 3rd rail
It's not unusual. Many UK 3rd rail EMUs and their associated NewsGRF have their speeds set to 100 mph. The most prominent one is the Electrostar 3rd rail variant and that's also made by Bombardier.
Electron
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2218) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by Electron »

Can someone verify that sort by Power/Running Cost works right? I seem to be having issues.

It seems like Power/Running Cost won't sort locomotives correctly in the 'New Rail Vehicle' window, 'Available Trains' window, and 'Replace Train' window.

Example:

Version: OpenTTD v1.8.0

GRFs in use:

NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC, -2218

Date: Jan 1st, 1985

Currency: USD

Running cost multiplier: 1x
Purchase cost multiplier: 1x

GE P30CH (Diesel) has a power of 2237kW with a running cost of $33,636/yr

GE U30CG (Diesel) has a power of 2237kW with a running cost of $32,662/yr.

Ranked from largest to smallest (putting most kW/$ on top), the GE P30CH is above the GE U30CG even though the GE U30CG has a lower running cost for the same power and thus should be above the GE U30CH.

This is an example, I only chose those 2 locomotives to illustrate the issue since the equal power outputs makes it easier to do a quick spot check when trying to get GRFs to work together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regarding max speeds:

80MPH defiantly seems to be low for the Kawasaki M8 railcar. Kawasaki's own site lists it's max speed as 100 MPH.

The convergence on 128kmh/80 MPH makes me think that there may be influence from FRA track classes at play here.

From the wikipedia article "Rail speed limits in the United States", modified to preserve information since the formatting doesn't carry over, the list of fra track classes is:

Track type Freight train Passenger
Excepted [us 1] <10 mph (16 km/h) not allowed
Class 1 10 mph (16 km/h) 15 mph (24 km/h)
Class 2 25 mph (40 km/h) 30 mph (48 km/h)
Class 3 40 mph (64 km/h) 60 mph (97 km/h)
Class 4 60 mph (97 km/h) 80 mph (129 km/h)
Class 5 80 mph (129 km/h) 90 mph (145 km/h)
Class 6 110 mph (177 km/h) (Freight and passenger)
Class 7 125 mph (201 km/h) (Freight and passenger)
Class 8 160 mph (257 km/h) (Freight and passenger)
Class 9 220 mph (354 km/h). (Freight and passenger)

Conveniently enough:
FRA rules limit track speeds on the corridor to 80 miles per hour (130 km/h) over conventional crossings and 95 miles per hour (153 km/h) over crossings with four-quadrant gates and vehicle detection tied into the signal system. (from Wikipedia article: Northeast_Corridor, section 2.3: Grade_crossings.)
Lionic
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Lionic »

NekoMaster wrote: Sorry, I didn't think to increase the model life of modern locomotives because I play with "Vehicles Never Expire" because it never made sense that you couldn't buy locomotives after a certain date, because IRL anyone with enough money could get a company (a 3rd party or their own) to build locomotives, or buy 2nd hand locomotives from other railroads or what ever.

Either way, I'll try to remember to change that next time I update the set which should be soon.
And Jet Train as well.
Notch8GEGaming
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2203)

Post by Notch8GEGaming »

NekoMaster wrote: 23 Jun 2018 17:16
Notch8GEGaming wrote:
sim-al2 wrote:
They'll have about the same tractive effort though, because (given the same production year) they share the same traction motors and almost always weighed roughly the same. This is also true of the EMD SD38/39/40/45 family and others.

Caveat: This mainly applies for the same gear ratio, for different gear ratios the difference between maximum T.E. and continuous T.E. becomes important.
Very true, however in this mod and the NARS mod they short it big time. They only gave it 80,300+ tractive effort when it actually is 91,500 to 92,500 for all of them.
What are you talking about? If I made a mistake with one of the engines let me know. If your going to argue about starting and continueous TE though I just go with what seems to be the norm and using Continuous Tractive Effort (some locomotives have very high starting TE which would make them very cheaty as they would accelerate instantly)
Sorry, I haven't been on in a long time. I was talking about a mistake made with the GE locomotives previously mentioned. The U33C had 92,500 lbs of continuous tractive effort at the "regular" gear ratio of 74:18 which allowed for 70 MPH top speed. The U36C has the same specifications as well. This is using the regular weight on it, not ones with added weight either.
Notch8GEGaming
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Notch8GEGaming »

I could give you updated info for all EMD, GE, and Alco/MLW stuff if you wish, some stuff is good already but some does need a bit of work.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I had a look at the buy menu for this, nice work getting it done :)

Does the crane get any use in game? :)

Asking because I’m thinking of adding some eye candy vehicles to Iron Horse, with zero gameplay purpose (crane, snowplough etc). Too much work for too little benefit? :)

I used pikka’s snowplough in NARS maybe in one game only :twisted:
openttdfan2020
Engineer
Engineer

Post by openttdfan2020 »

Hey! I just let you know, Can you Add these Locomotives?
:D

CR
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP30
EMD GP35
EMD GP38
EMD GP40
GE U30C
GE U33B
Alco RS3

Chessie System
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP30
EMD GP35
EMD GP38
EMD GP40
GE U30C

Amtrak
EMD F40PH
EMD F7
EMD E8

Norfolk and Western
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP30
EMD GP35
EMD GP38
EMD GP40
GE U30C

Southern Railway (All Highhood)
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP30
EMD GP35
GE U30C

DRGW
EMD SD40-2
EMD GP30
EMD GP35
EMD GP38
EMD GP40
GE U30C
Bad_C4t
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bad_C4t »

The Bombadier LRC is OP, it weirdly has insane HP and tractive effort, (while also being the 3rd fastest train in the set). The sheet with the train info says it should have 5,400 HP which is high, but in-game it's actually 7,503hp!

This makes it the best freight train... with half the running cost of anything comparable. The only train that competes is the EMDSD70ACe, it costs 2k less per year to run and has a bit more tractive effort, but at the cost of 3,000HP and a 50mph lower max speed!
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

Will there be a CTRL click option for manual reversing of engines? like the nars 2.52 one?
EDIT: Sprite bug with Baldwin AS-616 part of other engines or wagons get merged inside and flicker.
Bigwig & Co., 1959-07-29.png
Look closely at the first wagon and 2nd and 1st engines.
(84.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bigwig & Co., 1959-07-29#1.png
and again after it moved a bit
(84.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LoneBlackWolf
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Maddog45353 wrote: 06 Feb 2022 05:52 Will there be a CTRL click option for manual reversing of engines? like the nars 2.52 one?
EDIT: Sprite bug with Baldwin AS-616 part of other engines or wagons get merged inside and flicker.
Bigwig &amp; Co., 1959-07-29.png
Bigwig &amp; Co., 1959-07-29#1.png
Probably not as I coded the set using the 2cc Trains in NML method of dealing with sprite alignment and vehicle sizes but that means its not possible to add flipping on anything shorter then 8/8 size or 0.5 tile long stuff.

If I where to impliment flipping I'd have to make a sprite template for each size/length of vehicle so that the sprites are flipped properly without them clipping far into the train behind it and having a huge gap in front of where the sprite appears to be.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

<3 Still love the set of trains best train set ever. :bow: and can't wait for that diesel i posted get's fixed still avoiding it for now.
LoneBlackWolf
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

Is this grf still in development? I've been using NARS 2.52 but that is all but incompatible with this now, since the variable running costs make them so much cheaper to run that I find myself never even using the trains from the addon set, except the narrow gauge.
GrandSeverus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GrandSeverus »

Does this work with most up to date version of nars ?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Ruiluth wrote: 26 Jun 2022 20:26 Is this grf still in development? I've been using NARS 2.52 but that is all but incompatible with this now, since the variable running costs make them so much cheaper to run that I find myself never even using the trains from the addon set, except the narrow gauge.
GrandSeverus wrote: 20 Jul 2022 14:15 Does this work with most up to date version of nars ?
The set is just a basic Train GRF using code from 2cc Trains in NML. It can theoretically work with any other set or version of NARS be it 2.03, 2.51, or 2.52 (which I didn't even know there was an update).

NARS Add-on Set 2cc has NEVER had variable running costs as I didn't know how to impliment that until I had a huge roster of vehicles and I just don't feel like doing variable running costs for a crap ton of locomotives.

This is why the set defaults to having half running costs to balance it against variable running costs (since at the end of the day stuff should still be similar when you average out the costs NARS 2.5x has since things are most expensive when accelerating and cheapest when idle).

I dunno if I will do any more work on the set at the moment, as I haven't been int he mood to do newGRF stuff in a while thanks to a lack of interest and (apathetic) depression sucking out all my energy and interest in NewGRF development.

TLDR; The Set still works with any version of NARS and other sets, but has always had the Running Costs parameter set to half cost/.5x by default for balance.
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD] NARS Add-on Set 2CC (version -r2222) NOW WITH EMU'S!

Post by NekoMaster »

Bit of a late post to announce the update but theres an update now, nothing big, just a few fixes.

If theres any other fixes let me know.
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

NekoMaster wrote: 19 Aug 2022 19:49 Bit of a late post to announce the update but theres an update now, nothing big, just a few fixes.

NIce anything gonna be done to the Baldwin AS-616 sprites
LoneBlackWolf
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Maddog45353 wrote: 27 Aug 2022 00:03
NekoMaster wrote: 19 Aug 2022 19:49 Bit of a late post to announce the update but theres an update now, nothing big, just a few fixes.

NIce anything gonna be done to the Baldwin AS-616 sprites
I knew I was missing something.

nothing "wrong" with the sprite, just he code. Must be another case of me copying the code from something while working on it and previous stuff at the time and the code must have been for a 6/8 size vehicle.

Easy fix, I'll be uploading a fix as soon as possible.
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

sweet :bow: now it's the best north american train set ever.
LoneBlackWolf
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Hello.
A great set. But there are not enough tanks for liquids. With a large capacity.
For example, there is one hopper in the supplement.
I'm sorry for my English.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Nordleng wrote: 25 Nov 2022 10:23 Hello.
A great set. But there are not enough tanks for liquids. With a large capacity.
For example, there is one hopper in the supplement.
Did you load the original NARS as well? That's what gives you most of the freight equipment

Return to “Graphics Development”