Close adjacent level crossings

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Close adjacent level crossings

Post by Alberth »

doxlulzem wrote:I know I sound like a reeeaaalllll noob, but where do you put the .diff, and will it change the level crossings in existing savegames?
Inside the program, by changing the source code.

The common name for .diff file is "patch", as in a "source code patch" in this case, which is explained at http://wiki.openttd.org/Patch

All games that you load or play with the new version will be affected. I don't know whether you can save a game in the modified version, and later continue playing with that save in a normal version.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, the patch does work on existing savegames, and you can load them back and forth in unmodified games as well. be aware, however, that vehicles may unexpectedly start up while waiting on a closed barrier, so keep vehicles stopped when you load a game this way.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

doxlulzem wrote:I know I sound like a reeeaaalllll noob, but where do you put the .diff, and will it change the level crossings in existing savegames?
.diff files must be compiled using the game source code.

If your savegame was created using a stock (unmodified/unpatched) version of OpenTTD, then when you should be able to load it into your new patched version of the game and it take effect. If your savegame was created using any patched version of OpenTTD, however, it will not open at all.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

This patch has been part of JGR's Patchpack for years now, but I've recently opened a Pull Request to add it (with modifications) to vanilla OpenTTD. Thoughts, tests, etc., welcome: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/9931

Return to “OpenTTD Development”