Layout tips - send train to wait in depot if station is full

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Quinch
Engineer
Engineer

Layout tips - send train to wait in depot if station is full

Post by Quinch »

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to deal with intermittent station congestion. Basically, I'm looking for a way to have incoming trains wait in the depot next to the station until spots open up. I've tried using conditionals and waypoints to send trains to the depot using counters/platform availability {using JGRPP, by the by}, but then realized that doing so also means I'd have to micromanage maintenance along the rather long routes.

Are there any templates or tutorials on how to deal with this?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Layout tips - send train to wait in depot if station is full

Post by jfs »

Personal opinion: If you need to do this then you have too many trains.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Layout tips - send train to wait in depot if station is full

Post by 2TallTyler »

I couldn’t disagree more.

Primary industries production mechanics strongly incentivize always having a train loading, but on a large network (read: long trips) with high-production industries it can be hard to gauge the right amount of trains. Escape depots keep extra trains from clogging the main line.

Secondary industries need escape depots even more. If you have many Steel trains waiting for a full load, they can block Iron Ore trains from unloading, creating an infinite deadlock.

I use escape depots at nearly every industry for these reasons. I suppose you are technically correct that it is too many trains, but I don’t think a few extra trains is a strategy problem, just a natural consequence of playing the game.

Return to “General OpenTTD”