Why don't you use Opera?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Darkvater wrote:
Daan Timmer wrote:A: 4)
It might be only a few bits and bytes, however. It now has put more rubbish on my harddisk, which I dislike.
All your bookmarks are in ONE file, bookmarks.dat, which exists even if you have no bookmarks at all. So there is no rubbish.

It is simple: Opera is the superiour browser, and software of choice for managment, IT and hot babes! Ha, beat that 8)
I know, it is in one file.

But I now have 2 different bookmark files, one for FF and 1 for Opera...
Where the Opera one is the same as to the FF one... adn it requires more space then when it is empty...

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Steve wrote:4) It got your bookmarks, so what? You're complainng it was helpful?
That was chuckle-worthy :tongue:
Sorry, I understand people have preferences, but those complaints are just not valid!
Thats why I don't like discussions like this - no matter the good intentions, they always twist around to "mine is better".

I've said it before, I had problems with IE, so I thought "hey, FF might be worth a go". Until I have a problem with FF, I have no reason to uproot myself and go use Opera, no matter how much better it may be. However, it's nice to read that it IS a comparitly good tool, so that if/when I have a problem with FF, my options are open to me.

So, thanks Steve. Who knows when this new knowledge may help me :)).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Btw, here is a very nice example why all you IE LOVERS :puke: should go to FF/Opera!

You can clearly see which browsers do follow the standards and which don't ;)

(in FF some corners show up rounded cuz I am using -moz-border-radius in the stylesheet...)
Attachments
IEdiffFromOAndFF.PNG
(636.81 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Daan Timmer wrote:Btw, here is a very nice example why all you IE LOVERS :puke: should go to FF/Opera!

(in FF some corners show up rounded cuz I am using -moz-border-radius in the stylesheet...)
That's quite a minor problem from some I've come across.
We were making a survey, which had speech-bubble style paragraphs at the top, 4 of them in 2 columns. FF and Opera were fine, IE however, decided to make the top of a 5th bubble in the second column. It created another element from scratch and drew it on the screen. This isn't following standards, this is just a bug. So the clever users on Opera anf FF have to suffer.

The reason I quoted you is your use of the -moz-border-radius attribute. I don't understand why Firefox has such tags, as these styles are part of CSS 3 and surely it's sensible to support the actual CSS now, rather than change things later?

As for your JS/Image issue, I don't understand what the problem is with the page, as Opera doesn't have speed issues like that on any other page I've tried. I presume you've coded something to generate the images? In which case it seems to oddly favour FF and IE.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Steve wrote:
Daan Timmer wrote:Btw, here is a very nice example why all you IE LOVERS :puke: should go to FF/Opera!

That's quite a minor problem from some I've come across.
We were making a survey, which had speech-bubble style paragraphs at the top, 4 of them in 2 columns. FF and Opera were fine, IE however, decided to make the top of a 5th bubble in the second column. It created another element from scratch and drew it on the screen. This isn't following standards, this is just a bug. So the clever users on Opera anf FF have to suffer.

The reason I quoted you is your use of the -moz-border-radius attribute. I don't understand why Firefox has such tags, as these styles are part of CSS 3 and surely it's sensible to support the actual CSS now, rather than change things later?

As for your JS/Image issue, I don't understand what the problem is with the page, as Opera doesn't have speed issues like that on any other page I've tried. I presume you've coded something to generate the images? In which case it seems to oddly favour FF and IE.
yes, images are generated by a GD2 script :)

Code: Select all

function gd2_out(){
		header("Content-type: image/png");

$im = imagecreatetruecolor(($this->dim->x*$this->parsed_list[0])/$this->parsed_list[1],$this->dim->y);
		imagefill($im,0,0,$this->gd2_get_color($im,$this->bgcolor));
		$im2 = $this->gd2_LoadJpeg("Census_Bar-1.jpg");
		imagecopymerge($im,$im2,0,0,0,0,($this->dim->x*$this->parsed_list[0])/$this->parsed_list[1],$this->dim->y,100);

imagepng($im);
		imagedestroy($im);
	}
See, no FF/O/IE favoring things there :)
BUt ohwell, meh, bit off-topic I guess :)

Ohad
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Why don't you use Opera?

Post by Ohad »

Steve wrote:Opera (http://www.opera.com/) is an excellent cross-platform browser that has proven itself to be the fastest web browser on the market.* My question, is why you don't use it?
What? :P
HoQuocDu
Engineer
Engineer

"Why don't you use Opera?"

Post by HoQuocDu »

I used on my old mobile phone I did...

Return to “Off-Topic”