Reverting to an older newGRF?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Reverting to an older newGRF?

Post by Simons Mith »

Let's say you were using version 1.0 of a newGRF.
Then along comes version 2.0, so you download that using the download tool. You play it, but
having done so you then decide you want to play another new game with version 1.0 again.

(1) But while the v1.0 will still be present in your downloads area (in case it's needed for an older
saved game), I can't see any way to select anything but the latest version.

(I know this is an unusual case - most of the time there's no reason you'd want to revert
to a yucky old version. But I just happen to have hit a case where I /did/ want to revert,
and it was more fiddly than I'd have expected.)

(2) If you have a pre-saved profile with the old version 1.0 newGRF listed, you can use the profile.

(3) You can also muck about at directory level, temporarily renaming or moving the newer version,
creating a new game, and then putting it back again.

Option (2) requires you to have known in advance that you'd want to re-play the old version and
set up a suitable profile ahead of time.

Option (3) is a fiddle - my Steam OpenTTD content lives several levels down inside a hidden directory.
Non-advanced users would need hand-holding to find the right area.

Is there a graceful way to select an older newGRF for a new game without having to use option
(2) or (3)? If there isn't, should there be? I'd assume it would be more useful when debugging, but I
have just genuinely hit an ordinary gameplay use case where I wanted to do this. I can readily imagine
someone wanting to have another play on older FIRS versions for example - they are quite different
gameplay experiences. [Outside of OpenTTD, the older versions of Stellaris are significantly different
games, all fun in their own ways.]
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Reverting to an older newGRF?

Post by ChillCore »

In the config file change this setting to true

Code: Select all

newgrf_show_old_versions = false
Enjoy. ;)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Reverting to an older newGRF?

Post by Simons Mith »

Oh lawdy, I'd completely forgotten there were extra config settings in there. Thanks for reminding me.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”