Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

Many, many years ago I made an industry set called Pikka's Basic Industries. PIRS 2022 is the spiritual successor to that NewGRF, using mostly FIRS graphics.

Features include simple TTD-like industry chains, advanced industry generation and placement rules for better gameplay and realism(tm); cargo stockpiling; player-influencable, non-random primary production levels; engineering and farm supply cargos; and inter-industry production boosting. See the next post for technical details on how all the mechanics function, or just jump right in! The set is available now from the in-game content download.
Attachments
pirsbanner.png
pirsbanner.png (313.29 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

(Post reserved - coming soon!)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v120 January 25 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

Latest version is 120 (aka 1.20), 25th of January:

- Added a parameter to double or triple the limited resources of mines and fisheries, or to turn off the limited resources feature altogether.
- Added news reports when an industry reaches 10, 5, 2 and 1 years of remaining resource, to make it easier for players to keep track of networks that need updating.
- Added a parameter to only allow forests on high ground, like the mines and the default Arctic forests.
- Fixed all the bugs. Yes, all of them.

This update is not compatible with earlier versions (loading it into an existing save will disable limited resources).

Enjoy, and/or let me know why you don't!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v120 January 25 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

v121. Small changes, should be safe for running games.

- reworded the news reports slightly ("x years of production remain" instead of "x years of resource remain").
- made the industry information window explicitly say "estimated production" when it is estimating (due to no cargo transported in the previous month).

Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (393.85 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v121 January 26 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

v123, a few small enhancements to industry placement;

- Added options (off by default) to separate Secondary and Tertiary industries (Factories, Food processors and Power Plants will only generate near cities, while Steel Mills, Oil Refineries and Sawmills will only generate near non-cities); and to only generate one tertiary industry per town. Players can still fund secondary and tertiary industries anywhere (but only one of each tertiary industry per town, due to how the power boost feature works).

- Allow unrestricted placement of primary industries in the scenario editor (and in-game if non-prospecting primary industry construction is allowed).

Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (42.29 KiB) Viewed 10238 times
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v123 February 6 2022

Post by Nordleng »

Hello.
Dear PikkaBird. Can you give me a language file (english.lng)?
I'll try to make a translation.
There is no experience to make modifications. But I want to try.

I'm sorry for my English.
I'm sorry for my English.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Thanks for the offer! There are no language files currently because this set isn't coded in NML.

The set in its current incarnation is really just a proof of concept - I won't consider it complete until it uses its own graphics, instead of the FIRS sprites. As part of that process, I will organise the texts and open it up for translation. But that might not be for a while.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

PikkaBird wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:35 Thanks for the offer! There are no language files currently because this set isn't coded in NML.

The set in its current incarnation is really just a proof of concept - I won't consider it complete until it uses its own graphics, instead of the FIRS sprites. As part of that process, I will organise the texts and open it up for translation. But that might not be for a while.
You may contact me up for a Dutch translation when that time has come :).
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

PikkaBird wrote: 07 Feb 2022 10:35The set in its current incarnation is really just a proof of concept - I won't consider it complete until it uses its own graphics, instead of the FIRS sprites. As part of that process, I will organise the texts and open it up for translation. But that might not be for a while.
It's wonderful news you plan to further develop this set - even if it takes some time, i know it will be worth it - I love the mechanics you have already implemented and hope to see more arrive in time

I am also hoping that you will add the Brick Chain Industries from PBI too

I started a new, multiplayer, 200+ year run using UKRS2+ and TaI (the original not TaI32) alongside it yesterday and it's working a charm

Thanks for your many, many, years of work with all these sets :bow:
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Nice set! I tested it in a couple of games, it's cool! I had an odd thing though. Not really a problem, but funny thing: it seems some industries are linked to the "coal mine shaft disaster".
Attachments
Bloggs & Co., 1969-09-28.png
Apparently, this refinery has been built on an abandoned coal mine
(315.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Nice. :)

Looks like I'm not setting that flag property at all for most industries, so it's just inheriting it from whichever default industry has the same ID. I ought to fix that...
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

PikkaBird wrote: 14 Jan 2022 11:17 (...)

Features include simple TTD-like industry chains, advanced industry generation and placement rules for better gameplay and realism(tm); cargo stockpiling; player-influencable, non-random primary production levels; engineering and farm supply cargos; and inter-industry production boosting. See the next post for technical details on how all the mechanics function, or just jump right in! The set is available now from the in-game content download.
This is great addon. Can you add option to change also basecosts (I mean separated costs of: RUNNING_COST, BUILD_VEHICLE_COST, BUILD_BUILDING_COST, CLEAR_COST, MAINTENANCE_COST) (in parameters menu) ? That would be awesome.
This page is from 2012, so I don't know if it is still accurate:
https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... cost_table
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

What do any of those basecosts have to do with an industry GRF? There are already NewGRFs which do nothing but give you parametised control over basecosts.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

PikkaBird wrote: 13 Feb 2022 21:11 What do any of those basecosts have to do with an industry GRF? There are already NewGRFs which do nothing but give you parametised control over basecosts.
I mean that could be "all in one" addon. This idea was in my mind due to current mess with all of my newgrfs.
In this way NewGRF could be more advanced and handier not only "industry" related (even like total economy coversion pack - basecosts are related to the ingame economy).

Combination of TTO Conversion Pack & PIRS (classics + modernity = yummy):
Last edited by luk3Z on 19 Feb 2022 09:18, edited 4 times in total.
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
scitor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scitor »

Thank you so much for this awesome set!
It's not overwhelming yet still complicated enough to have plenty fun connecting everything...

After some games and testing around I've got some questions:

- When delivering the wrong ratio of raw materials to an industry, will it stop accepting at some point? (would be great)
[+] Spoiler

- When using other NewGRFs (hothut, opengfx landscape) and a raw industry is funded ingame, it starts with negative stock and closes right away... is that a known problem or feature or just because of it being incompatible with those NewGRFs?
(it works without any other NewGRF)
[+] Spoiler

Last edited by scitor on 28 Feb 2022 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

scitor wrote: 26 Feb 2022 18:05 - When delivering the wrong ratio of raw materials to an industry, will it stop accepting at some point? (would be great)
I believe that was the one feature of UKRSI that people really didn't like. ;) In the case of PIRS, the only penalty for over-delivering is that you don't get to deliver those cargos to industries where it would be more productive. Additionally, stockpiles are limited to 65k units, and any supply past that gets paid for, but discarded.
- When using other NewGRFs (hothut, opengfx landscape) and a raw industry is funded ingame, it starts with negative stock and closes right away... is that a known problem or feature or just because of it being incompatible with those NewGRFs?
(it works without any other NewGRF)
I can't think off the top of my head why that would happen, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the report! :)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

v1.24 is uploaded.

It's not fully tested - and I never quite worked out what was wrong - but I copied the ore mine code back to the coal mine and that seems to have fixed the problem. Please let me know. :)

I also, hopefully, corrected the industries having the wrong disaster flags as reported by arikover.
scitor
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Post by scitor »

Awesome, will test it later :D

So the thing with funding / prospecting could be a time based issue. I need to test a bit more but it seems the negative stock industries only come up when prospecting while year 1900 (startyear, and paused!)
I noticed this with Renewed Village Growth as it wanted to prospect industries on game start. In scenario editor (manually and with gs) everything worked fine.
PikkaBird wrote: 27 Feb 2022 03:54
scitor wrote: 26 Feb 2022 18:05 - When delivering the wrong ratio of raw materials to an industry, will it stop accepting at some point? (would be great)
I believe that was the one feature of UKRSI that people really didn't like. ;) In the case of PIRS, the only penalty for over-delivering is that you don't get to deliver those cargos to industries where it would be more productive. Additionally, stockpiles are limited to 65k units, and any supply past that gets paid for, but discarded.
Thats totally understandable as it doesn't happen normally and you need to design stuff differently to cope with that :D could it be an option tho? :lol: or something like, efficiency goes down the more imbalanced it is (since everybody has to go around those huge piles of coal, which takes time... haha)
I was remembering seeing that somewhere and it messed A LOT with CD and such...

[Edit]
Just tested the new version and all the generated mines have some stock :thumbsup:
pineapple
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Pikka's Industries Redux Set (PIRS 2022) - v124 February 27 2022

Post by pineapple »

Since there's no explanation I could find of the industries or resources in this set - even the wiki page for the earlier version of the mod is no longer available - I made a nice flowchart.

It would be nice to get a more complete explanation of how the industries in this set work, though, besides through trial and error...

Image mirror

Return to “Graphics Development”