Can't found town here... ...too close to another town

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Can't found town here... ...too close to another town

Post by erwtensoep »

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 13.37.23.png
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 13.37.23.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2484 times
Hi guys!
I'm inspired to use a heightmap to make a new, slightly more realistic version of the original TTD Scotland scenario, while keeping the 256x256 original map size. However, once I try to put down the towns, I found out that the minimal distance is badly in the way, not allowing me to even put down cities like Glasglow because Stirling was already too nearby (< 20 blocks).

It's even that problematic that if I open the original TTD Scotland scenario, and remove a city, I cannot put it back where it originally was. I would have expected that when I manually put down a city, the game wouldn't mind :o

Is there a workaround for this? :)

Many thanks!
Hans
kamnet

Re: Can't found town here... ...too close to another town

Post by kamnet »

In game settings, change "Minimum distance between towns". This distance is from the center tile (where the town name is to the other center tile.
erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erwtensoep »

Thanks a lot, that gives me hope, because I already suspected there should be such an option! :)

Do you know where to find it? I have version 12.1, and in my settings menu, I cannot seem to find it, not with town or environment, nor when I use the search dialog :(
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

kamnet wrote: 05 Feb 2022 15:57 In game settings, change "Minimum distance between towns".
This setting does not appear to exist in 12.1. It is in JGRPP.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

PikkaBird wrote: 06 Feb 2022 03:38
kamnet wrote: 05 Feb 2022 15:57 In game settings, change "Minimum distance between towns".
Yes. Apparently I believed this was in stock OpenTTD already. I'm sorry. :(

This setting does not appear to exist in 12.1. It is in JGRPP.
erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erwtensoep »

Thanks guys! :D

So I downloaded jgrpp-0.46, that indeed does have a setting like this! It can't be lowered below 15, and it's not completely clear if the setting affects manual placement. However, my problem seems to persist in some cases where towns still get too close by (<15 blocks).

But, now I cannot load the scenario back in version 12.1 - it says it has been made with a newer version :(
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you find yourself in need of placing towns that close, i suggest you reconsider either leaving out some towns, or switching to a larger scale map
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

erwtensoep wrote: 06 Feb 2022 17:52 But, now I cannot load the scenario back in version 12.1 - it says it has been made with a newer version :(
Indeed, many patchpacks are incompatible with the original, if you try to load a patchpack save into it, this is due to all the different things that end up that the vanilla game may have a panic attack about trying to figure out. So it's a bit of a one-way route unfortunately.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erwtensoep »

Eddi wrote: 07 Feb 2022 01:32 if you find yourself in need of placing towns that close, i suggest you reconsider either leaving out some towns, or switching to a larger scale map
Thank you for thinking along. I have considered these, but I want to create a scenario with the original TTD feeling, and larger maps won't do that sadly :-). I already came to terms with leaving some towns out, if I can go down to 15 blocks distance then it does works out. But the vanilla game doesn't allow that sadly.

Attached are two screenshots of the original TTD Scotland scenario. If I remove some of these cities, I would not be able put them back ;-)
Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 08.27.06.png
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Screenshot 2022-02-07 at 08.27.46.png
(1.2 MiB) Not downloaded yet
erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erwtensoep »

Redirect Left wrote: 07 Feb 2022 01:37
erwtensoep wrote: 06 Feb 2022 17:52 But, now I cannot load the scenario back in version 12.1 - it says it has been made with a newer version :(
Indeed, many patchpacks are incompatible with the original, if you try to load a patchpack save into it, this is due to all the different things that end up that the vanilla game may have a panic attack about trying to figure out. So it's a bit of a one-way route unfortunately.
Bummer :(
erwtensoep
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erwtensoep »

I found another solution: I compiled OpenTTD from source and modified the minimum town distance to a practical working value. It retains compatibility with the regular 12.1 because there is nothing different in the version or savegame. I'm really excited :)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”