How to make those AIs to build railways with intermediate stations?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kcl504sandboxgamer
Engineer
Engineer

How to make those AIs to build railways with intermediate stations?

Post by kcl504sandboxgamer »

I found that most of my AIs build point-to-point railway lines with single track, which is not always realistic, especially when connecting large towns. Are there any AIs that don't build like this?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: How to make those AIs to build railways with intermediate stations?

Post by Taschi »

kcl504sandboxgamer wrote: 22 Jan 2022 10:31 I found that most of my AIs build point-to-point railway lines with single track, which is not always realistic, especially when connecting large towns. Are there any AIs that don't build like this?
AI scripts are entirely user-provided, and there are no quality standards for them, so their code quality is pretty much a gamble.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How to make those AIs to build railways with intermediate stations?

Post by Redirect Left »

This is relatively difficult to code, of all the ones I have tested "ChooChoo" AI can build proper networks, although it is troubled, it often makes junctions it later goes on to not use, or it runs out of money halfway through and stalls.
ChooChoo will attempt to make a proper network, if it can find the resources and energy to do so, and from the ones I tested about 18 month ago, was the best at doing so, as long as you don't mind it occasionally bankrupting itself, or unused junctions on track, as noted below. My assumption is it does forward thinking, then later on thinks "nah", and doesn't go back and undo them, either due to financial changes or some sort of internal priority change for what the junction was for.

I have tried numerous times to improve the ChooChoo AI, but never got far due to it being, frankly, beyond my knowledge and understanding the language OTTD uses for bots.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “General OpenTTD”