Local authority refuses to do anything

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tankjob
Engineer
Engineer

Local authority refuses to do anything

Post by tankjob »

How can the atrocious rating be changed to anything slightly more constructive? Passengers, mail, goods need to be transported desperately! But the local authority refuses to allow anything. I cannot even raze the towns for their stupidity. Advertising and bribing doesn't change anything either. Funding roads and buildings is simpy useless. Everybody just finds me atrocious. What to do?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Local authority refuses to do anything

Post by Taschi »

tankjob wrote: 20 Jan 2022 21:16 I cannot even raze the towns for their stupidity.
Working as intended.

The most effective way to deal with angry town authorities is planting trees. The rating will gradually improve if you offer good service to the town, but this is fairly slow.

JGR's patch pack has an option that makes town authorities ignore landscaping (which is the biggest cause for losing reputation with town authorities), which I personally always use.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there's 4 ways to increase a town's opinion of you:
  1. providing good service
  2. planting trees
  3. bribing
  4. waiting a really long time
ideally, you start out in a town by building a few bus stations and sending a bus in circles. the tree thing is more of an exploit. and bribing might get you caught.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

And while this won't help you in this game, in a future game you could also install the Eternal Love game script. It will automatically reset your rating with the local authority to Excellent every 7 days.

But a better way, possibly, is to just not be as aggressive in destroying buildings and messing with landscaping. Making a small change ever 3-4 in-game days is tedious, but typically doesn't draw a bad reaction from a town and gives you time to naturally recover your rating by providing good service.
tankjob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tankjob »

Thanks for the great tipps! I like this tree planting stuff. I kinda omit road vehicles and do mainly trains and ships. Now I can improve stations.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

it doesn't necessarily need to be a bus. just it's the easiest start.

the idea is that you have as many stations as possible, and they are serviced as frequently as possible. if you have a ship that only visits once a year, town rating is going to be terrible.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

A station where vehicles stop very often makes the town happy. A station where vehicles barely ever stop makes the town annoyed.

Short bus routes are an easy and cheap way to make a station that gets a lot of visits from vehicles, that's why they are good for raising your local authority rating. They also happen to be good for making towns grow larger. The bus itself might not make a profit, but it's still a benefit to your company overall, because it makes it easier for you to build more business in the town.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

In a town where you have many stations, but they all have the same station name, ie you are using station spread, does the town see this as only 1 station in the town or many stations?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

It's per station sign.

I think the only place multiple station parts count in the game are for the overall company rating score, where you need to reach a specific number of "station facilities". (I.e. a station with train, bus, and truck stop counts 3, but a station with 5 truck stops only counts one, because it only has the truck stop facility.)

The only thing that matters is the "station sign", and in particular also its position for which town it counts towards.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

OK, makes sense.
tnx

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”