[OTTD] Universal Rail Type

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

axet
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] Universal Rail Type

Post by axet »

Hello! Can I put my suggestion here?

I always build two way tracks one track for each direction for increasing track throughput. I have an idea to have multi level tracks to prevent building two tracks each way. Like hamburger tracks / multilevel tracks. One level to start. Two levels after an upgrade (booth ways). And Four levels (two way each) after 2050 or so...

Since you have universal track and this is obligatory for GRF to function, why not to have universal multilevel tracks? It helps prevent trains traffic jams and not much new graphics are required.

Feature: I hope "Universal Engine" to push/pull trains can automatically take trains from old depot and push/pull it to to universal depot convert it and let train go :) Right now you have to push old train manually and this is requires a lot of manual actions. Converting 100 trains to monorain then to magrails requires a lot of work. For example replacement procedure can looks like this:

1) send all trains into depo

2) set autoreplace using menu

3) build universal engine and it will take all trains into universal depo automatically.

4) wait 10-in-game-years == all trains coverted.

5) convert all tracks to mono-rail or mag-rail
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Tracks on top of tracks isn't really properly supported by the game. It would require a very big reworking of internals to support it properly, the way e.g. Chris Sawyer's Locomotion does.
You can already now do a kind of fake dual level with a combination of bridges and tunnels, but it isn't very space efficient because of the big hills you need, it can't be expanded to more levels, and it limits your options for signals. It's also expensive and slow to build.
Attachments
2022-01-04_11-55-35.png
2022-01-04_11-55-35.png (118.91 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

You could simulate it with some creative use of road vehicles and trams, but the main problem is a) they're not going to be at the same scale as trains and b) two vehicles can't occupy the same space, so there would be a noticeable gap. Minor details, though. :)
fleurpuissance
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fleurpuissance »

I am looking at installing this Universal Rail NewGRF. Just reading up about it first.

I usually change the COLOR of my engines .. say, White for Monorail and Purple for Maglev.
Very few AI's choose those colors, so it's a fairly safe choice.

Do those color changes apply when the NewGRF is active?

I'm an old hand at OpenTTD, but I've never used NewGRF's before.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”