OpenTTD 12.1 released!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 12.1 released!

Post by Maddog45353 »

My server name wont change from "test" for some odd reason is it due to the remove of this code

Code: Select all

Remove: [Network] Language and map-name from server information (#9070)
from openttd.cfg in the network section or is there a solution i am hosting using zaphosting and they too find it odd.
LoneBlackWolf
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Maddog45353 wrote: 20 Nov 2021 07:11 My server name wont change from "test" for some odd reason is it due to the remove of this code

Code: Select all

Remove: [Network] Language and map-name from server information (#9070)
from openttd.cfg in the network section or is there a solution i am hosting using zaphosting and they too find it odd.
Should not be related.
The change you quote is about what servers send to the game coordinator (master server), and what the game coordinator sends back.

Quote from the pull request (#9070):
Motivation / Problem
Back in 2007 or so we added two fields to the server info: map_name and language. Both have their own story, and this PR removes them both.

Description
map_name was intended so people could find a server with a certain scenario/heightmap they liked. But, looking at the current serverpool, most are (loaded game) or Random Map. It never really worked, as the implementation is flawed anyway. The original scenario/heightmap a game started with is not stored, so if you save/load, that information is already gone.
If we want to do this feature, we should approach the problem differently. As such, I removed it now (well, replaced it with an empty string). This allows someone else to start fresh again if this functionality is still wanted. But given that nobody ever mentioned it either way, I doubt that being the case.

language is a bit more political. After introduction we got quickly told that using flags for language is a stupid idea. And I agree. Especially in 2021, that is just no longer socially acceptable (it wasn't back in 2007, but we got away with it :P).
So no, it has nothing to do with server name.

Could you explain your problem in a bit more detail? Especially how you change the server name and where you see it change (if anywhere) and where it stays the same despite changing.
Maybe open a new thread over in the Problems subforum.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Change: Reverse ship when leaving docks if a better path exists (#9610)
Change: Allow all tiles around docks to be docking tiles (#9578)
I think these changes should be made optional, at least the "Reverse ship" should. There's already a setting to "Disallow trains reversing in stations" (see picture), and, logically, an option to "Disallow ships from reversing at docks" is missing.

I find the present behaviour annoying, and I want to see ships make actual turnabouts like they did before, not this new magical 180 degrees spinning maneuvre.

Utvalg_097.png
Utvalg_097.png (12.75 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

leifbk wrote: 27 Nov 2021 09:19 I think these changes should be made optional, at least the "Reverse ship" should. There's already a setting to "Disallow trains reversing in stations" (see picture), and, logically, an option to "Disallow ships from reversing at docks" is missing.

I find the present behaviour annoying, and I want to see ships make actual turnabouts like they did before, not this new magical 180 degrees spinning maneuvre.
Out of curiosity, could you please attach a save showing that problem? Honestly, I have never noticed the behavior you write about - ships always turn clockwise to take direction. If something were to be a problem, it would be that the ships only turn in one direction and often turn 270° right instead of 90° left. In addition, even if a turn by 90° would be enough, they rotate unnecessarily by 180°.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

LaChupacabra wrote: 29 Nov 2021 00:41 Out of curiosity, could you please attach a save showing that problem? Honestly, I have never noticed the behavior you write about - ships always turn clockwise to take direction. If something were to be a problem, it would be that the ships only turn in one direction and often turn 270° right instead of 90° left. In addition, even if a turn by 90° would be enough, they rotate unnecessarily by 180°.
A save file shouldn't be necessary; it seems clear that you understand what I mean. I've made a small illustration:

arrows.png
arrows.png (5.1 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
The upper figure is how a ship used to leave a dock, when it was properly placed along its outer edge. It makes a 45 degrees turn, and then a 90 degrees turn. The lower figure is supposed to show how it leaves in the same direction now. From a position similar to the upper one, it first does a 180 degrees totally unrealistic pirouette, and then a 45 degrees turn.

I for one like to see ships behave somewhat realistically, and I would love it if some developer would like to ponder how to get ships to land nicely alongside the docks, rather than in the haphazard way which only has been aggravated by the current "improvement" that allow ships to land in any available position around the dock.
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

leifbk wrote: 29 Nov 2021 13:22 The upper figure is how a ship used to leave a dock, when it was properly placed along its outer edge. It makes a 45 degrees turn, and then a 90 degrees turn. The lower figure is supposed to show how it leaves in the same direction now. From a position similar to the upper one, it first does a 180 degrees totally unrealistic pirouette, and then a 45 degrees turn.
Yes, the ship stopping and turning 90° instead of making a smooth turn is a bit irritating. This was not the case before or was less common. However, I have not seen ships change direction by 180° as they used to, i.e. like trains at the station - they always rotate, which is much more realistic (practically all large ships have bow thrusters so that they can actually turn on the spot). That's why I wanted to see some save with another behavior. And yes, it is not very realistic that they moor to the wharf almost randomly, and the recent change (#9578) has made it even more noticeable.
Well...
It doesn't look good.png
It doesn't look good.png (48.88 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
So, for me, there are currently three problems:
1. Ships only turn in one direction and often too much - the pathfinder should choose a direction and the ship should turn the right way to take this direction.
2. Ships often unnecessarily make sharp turns and stop at the same time - they should avoid making sharp turns, even taking into account leaving the port.
3. Ships choose the strangest berth first - they should occupy the default berth first, and if it is occupied, then the other vacant one.
leifbk wrote: 29 Nov 2021 13:22 I for one like to see ships behave somewhat realistically, and I would love it if some developer would like to ponder how to get ships to land nicely alongside the docks, rather than in the haphazard way which only has been aggravated by the current "improvement" that allow ships to land in any available position around the dock.
You mean something like this? :)
Docks parallel to the quay.png
Docks parallel to the quay.png (254.33 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Docks parallel to the quay + mooring path 1.4.png
Docks parallel to the quay + mooring path 1.4.png (58.72 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Yes, I would also definitely prefer this behavior. Unfortunately, these graphics are just an idea, but if someone were considering such a change, I think it could be related to the addition of new ports to the game that would be built along the quays. Then such ports would have an approach path shown in the graphic, so that ships would always line up naturally. A change to introduce one dock - one ship principle would also be very beneficial (pathfinder reserves the dock in advance and, if there is no free one, stops the ship before entering the port). Such changes would make building real harbors with many quays make sense and water transport would be much more visually attractive.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can block the sides of the docks with objects. there are objects with a harbor-y look, and a dock replacement that fits into it neatly

it should get pretty close to what you've drawn. and with clever buoy placement you can simulate the approach paths.
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

Eddi wrote: 30 Nov 2021 03:46 you can block the sides of the docks with objects. there are objects with a harbor-y look, and a dock replacement that fits into it neatly
it should get pretty close to what you've drawn. and with clever buoy placement you can simulate the approach paths.
It is not always possible, as you can see in the screenshot above. Also, buoys cannot always be placed in such a way that it works. And the fact remains that the buoys are quite intrusive or even very if you take into account its labels. Regardless of how the ships sail, there would be useful of such (flat) ports along the quays. :)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

don't we have a setting to disable signs of waypoints/buoys?
LaChupacabra
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LaChupacabra »

Eddi wrote: 03 Dec 2021 15:55 don't we have a setting to disable signs of waypoints/buoys?
Yes, there is such an option. However, it applies to the buoys and railway waypoints at the same time, which is not good, because when some are disturbing, the other may be needed.
Besides, buoys will only work if you have one quay. What if you have several? Unfortunately, this is a very limited solution and discouraging when used on a larger scale.

Return to “General OpenTTD”