Forza Horizon 5

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Forza Horizon 5

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Installing it now, no idea what it's gonna be like. Anyone else played it yet? I'm absolutely hyped!
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
DrWho42
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Forza Horizon 5

Post by DrWho42 »

haven't played it yet!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've played it a lot.

Some good, some bad:

- The game opens up too fast, there's no sense of achievement and no real direction
- There is a distinct lack of cars popular in Mexico, I feel like we're getting all the same cars as we've had for the last 2-3 Horizons
- That said, the map is gorgeous and the graphics are too. The world is the real star here

If you liked Horizons 3 and 4, well 5 is more of the same in a sunny and rich environment. You'll enjoy.

If you're on the Xbox, add ChristopherRe91 and we'll have each others drivatars to play with.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Chrill wrote: 15 Nov 2021 10:15 - The game opens up too fast, there's no sense of achievement and no real direction
I'm actually really happy with that, I hate open-world games that feel like a tutorial for the first 5 to 10 hours. Personally my first objective was just to get the achievement "Ride and Seek " (for driving every road - well, actually the Steam achievement triggers a bit earlier because finding the one single road you're still missing can be an absolute pain).
- There is a distinct lack of cars popular in Mexico, I feel like we're getting all the same cars as we've had for the last 2-3 Horizons
The game told me that everybody in Mexico drives a VW Beetle, are you suggesting that Microsoft is misrepresenting Mexican culture? I can't believe they would do something like that just to save time creating new assets.

That said, I'm kind of sad that the Toyota AE86 will apparently only be available through the Festival Playlist - I feel like the entire playlist system locks casuals with not that much racing experience out of the seasonal rewards entirely. I just want my weeb car, dangit!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Taschi wrote: 15 Nov 2021 22:32
The game told me that everybody in Mexico drives a VW Beetle, are you suggesting that Microsoft is misrepresenting Mexican culture? I can't believe they would do something like that just to save time creating new assets.
Well, the game does not even feature a real Mexican Beetle. They don't look like our European counterparts from the 50s/60s, now do they? They built the whole story about the Vocho, but used a European model with a European interior. It might be a small oversight, or they counted on people not noticing, but car people be car people.
My Scenarios:
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Chrill wrote: 16 Nov 2021 11:13 Well, the game does not even feature a real Mexican Beetle. They don't look like our European counterparts from the 50s/60s, now do they? They built the whole story about the Vocho, but used a European model with a European interior. It might be a small oversight, or they counted on people not noticing, but car people be car people.
I'd assume the reason for that is one of those:

* high-detail car models take a lot of work
* most of the target audience is not from Mexico
* car manufacturers want to use the game for marketing

In the case of the Vocho particularly, I have the strong suspicion that VW paid good money for the prominent inclusion of the Beetle. I refuse to believe that the line about the two cornerstones of Mexican culture being family and the VW Beetle is something any half-decent writer would write without financial incentives and it felt very cringey to me (even in a game that is full to the brim with "how do you do, fellow kids" cringe). VW, of course, has a bit of a tarnished reputation these days on account of that whole NOx fraud scandal some years back, so they want to show us a car that feels deeply nostalgic to many people (even to me, despite being a lot younger than the car itself). And the people they want to pander to with this nostalgia are, for the most part, not Mexican.

But it might also be that Microsoft / whatever the name of the studio is just doesn't care. I've looked at some photos of Mexican Beetles and honestly couldn't tell you how they differ from your bog-standard Beetle made in Wolfsburg for the German market, aside from some of them having fairly flashy paintjobs that are probably not factory standard.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

So let me get this straight...

Arguably the biggest freeroam racing game series, Forza Horizon, shouldn't bother with making authentic car models because "they take time", the "target audience is not Mexican" and "Taschi can't tell them apart"? Yeah, checks out. :wink:

If the car manufacturers want to advertise their cars through the game, I would expect a majority of cars in-game to be of model years 2020-2022. Now, they're mostly 2014-2017. It's almost as if there is a tendency to reuse old models instead of introducing the newest cars on the market. Only 16 of the cars over 500 cars are from the last two years.
My Scenarios:
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Chrill wrote: 17 Nov 2021 08:35 Arguably the biggest freeroam racing game series, Forza Horizon, shouldn't bother with making authentic car models because "they take time", the "target audience is not Mexican" and "Taschi can't tell them apart"? Yeah, checks out. :wink:
I'm not saying they shouldn't bother, I am speculating why they didn't.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

The biggest most grievous sin is that none of the RocketBunny bodykits are in it anymore. All I wanted was my ducktail spoilered widebody NA Miata to turn into a ridiculous AWD 9000rpm class A rally car. That's all I wanted.

I also wish the 1.6VVT was available to more cars, because the only thing better than a 9000rpm redline is a 9500rpm redline.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'd also quite like to have an electric conversion on more cars. Turn any old muscle car into a Rimac. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I'm actually happy with the diesel V8. Sounds like some kind of beast. Diesel Dodge Charger. All black, all muscle, all insanely high tax and insurance.
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015

Return to “Off-Topic”