Patch: Grass growth on unused tracks

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Patch: Grass growth on unused tracks

Post by Muzzly »

boekabart wrote:Re the pink thingies: what blitter are you using?
I do not know. Probably default blitter :)

Code: Select all

$ grep -i blitter openttd.cfg
blitter =
blitter-32bpp-aa-level = 2
blitter-32bpp-aa-anim-slots = 4
blitter-32bpp-aa-anim-threads = 0
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

TrueBrain wrote:
boekabart wrote:Hmm, how are custom tracks rendered differently? These overlays are drawn after tracks, before overhead wires IIRC.
Re the pink thingies: what blitter are you using?
Look at that, a boekabart! How have you been? It has been a while :D
welcome back :D (I hope? :P)
I've been good and busy (house, work, kids'n'stuff). Re Back: well.. someone reactivated this thread so I came back... I haven't been here or in a game of OTTD for a long time, don't really have much time for it lately. I might start following the forums a bit more again now that I'm logged on anyway ;)
boekabart
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by boekabart »

Is the default blitter still the 8 bit one?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Yes and no. On non-OSX, you start in a 8bpp blitter, unless you load a 32bpp NewGRF, then you switch to a 32bpp blitter. So if and only if you don't have OSX and have no 32bpp NewGRFs actively loaded, you use the 8bpp blitter. Otherwise the 32bpp blitter.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

TrueBrain wrote:Yes and no. On non-OSX, you start in a 8bpp blitter, unless you load a 32bpp NewGRF, then you switch to a 32bpp blitter. So if and only if you don't have OSX and have no 32bpp NewGRFs actively loaded, you use the 8bpp blitter. Otherwise the 32bpp blitter.
Error occured playing openttd-hardpack-0.7.142 win32 version under windows 7, without any newgrf loaded. So I suppose , my blitter is 8bpp.
LeXa2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LeXa2 »

Muzzly wrote:
TrueBrain wrote:Yes and no. On non-OSX, you start in a 8bpp blitter, unless you load a 32bpp NewGRF, then you switch to a 32bpp blitter. So if and only if you don't have OSX and have no 32bpp NewGRFs actively loaded, you use the 8bpp blitter. Otherwise the 32bpp blitter.
Error occured playing openttd-hardpack-0.7.142 win32 version under windows 7, without any newgrf loaded. So I suppose , my blitter is 8bpp.
Likely to be a "wrong palette" problem then (oldtracks.grf is used internally and game might use the wrong palette when loading it, i.e. don't convert Win->Dos while it's needed or do convert Win->Dos while it's not needed for this case).

Also it could be a bug in 32bpp-anim-aa blitter - extremely unlikely as the game isn't expected ever to auto-select it but who knows. Thus I'd like to ask you to edit up your openttd.cfg and play a bit with a blitter used. Try using "32bpp-anim" or "32bpp-optimized" and check if the problem is gone with it. Then quit the game and edit cfg to select "32bpp-anim-aa" blitter and give it a try. Would the problem persist with it?
Muzzly
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Muzzly »

LeXa2 wrote:Also it could be a bug in 32bpp-anim-aa blitter - extremely unlikely as the game isn't expected ever to auto-select it but who knows. Thus I'd like to ask you to edit up your openttd.cfg and play a bit with a blitter used. Try using "32bpp-anim" or "32bpp-optimized" and check if the problem is gone with it. Then quit the game and edit cfg to select "32bpp-anim-aa" blitter and give it a try. Would the problem persist with it?
I have tried with "32bpp-anim", "32bpp-optimized" and "32bpp-anim-aa". No changes, pink pixels are still visible.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

If you use opengfx, you must convert the oldtrack.grf to dos palette. or you do it properly and have the .obg handle this stuff... (to do that you have to add the sprites to openttd.grf and ogfx_extra.grf)
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Eddi wrote:or you do it properly and have the .obg handle this stuff... (to do that you have to add the sprites to openttd.grf and ogfx_extra.grf)
While this would be the less breaking solution, setting _palette_remap_grf appropriately before calling LoadGrfFile() would do the trick as well. Updating a patch is more than just fiddling until it applies without conflict.

-- Michael Lutz
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Why not allow Newgrfs to specify what disused tracks look like?
beeurd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beeurd »

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I've always liked the idea of this and tried to get it working today without success.
Can anybody confirm if it still works with the latest version of openTTD and which files to actually use? Think I may have gotten a bit confused as there ares o many versions attached around here.
Long time TT addict, long time forum lurker.
Oh, and I run a Star Wars fan site.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It's working in OpenTTD Spring Patch Pack 2013 v2.0.103, which is based on OpenTTD r25965, which was released on November 11, 2013. Latest release in trunk is r26288, released on January 30, 2014. It is possible that something in trunk has changed which has broken this patch.
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Has anybody taken a look at this again recently?
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Tested this with 1.4.0 and it worked fine. It just cannot be used with that "stuck trains" patch since they use the same byte to store their rail_map data. Aside from that the latest patch file in this thread works perfectly fine.
MladenNinkovic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MladenNinkovic »

How do i disable this in a patch pack?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

MladenNinkovic wrote:How do i disable this in a patch pack?
Which pack are you using?
MladenNinkovic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MladenNinkovic »

I am using a custom patch pack by lt_joker he has a openttd let's play on youtube. I can give you a link of the download if you want.
y2000rtc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by y2000rtc »

Hi all, one question. Please, if I want to use this grf file that I inserted to folder with newgrf files but this file is not in list of newgrf in game. Don't you know why?
I would like to play with this graphic. Thx to all. : o )
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

y2000rtc wrote:Hi all, one question. Please, if I want to use this grf file that I inserted to folder with newgrf files but this file is not in list of newgrf in game. Don't you know why?
I would like to play with this graphic. Thx to all. : o )
You're in the development forum, the area where changes to the OpenTTD program itself are discussed.
In this case, it is a combination of a change in OpenTTD itself by means of a patch (http://wiki.openttd.org/Patches for a discussion what they are, and what to do with them), and a NewGRF. To play with this extension you need to do both. Only installing the NewGRF won't work.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
erikjanp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by erikjanp »

Here's an updated patch for the 12.0-version.
Attachments
openttd-12.0-oldtracks-1.patch
(12.01 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”