Open source RRT3 clone under way!!

Discuss the Railroad Tycoon series of games in this forum.
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Open source RRT3 clone under way!!

Post by ostlandr »

Just wanted to let everybody here know that your hated arch rivals over at http://hawkdawg.com/forums/ are shamelessly copying you and setting out to build RRT4 (to be known as Rail Mogul). They actually wanted me to come over here and try to poach coders and modelers! The nerve! :roll:

Like anybody reading this forum would actually have the free time and desire to work on yet another project. :wink:

They are also accepting donations of importable 3D models.

All kidding aside, it was the success of TTDPatch and OTTD (made possible by lots of hard work and dedication by the folks here) that inspired the project and made it seem possible.
Who is John Galt?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Open source RRT3 clone under way!!

Post by orudge »

Hated arch rivals? I've never heard of them. :lol:
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Well, I understand why they're our hated arch-rivals. That obscene red-on-white javashite news animation.

Owen would never foist anything that irritating on us.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Come on... :lol:

Nevertheless, it is good news.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Indeed, I wish them luck with their project, they've got a lot of work ahead of them. ;)
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

I really wonder, if there are things like passengers and good destinations, road/air support, proper signaling, etc. on their wishlist, if they should not extend an existing base like simutrans or OpenTTD and extend it to 3D support.
I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
ostlandr
Chairman
Chairman

Post by ostlandr »

prissi wrote:I really wonder, if there are things like passengers and good destinations, road/air support, proper signaling, etc. on their wishlist, if they should not extend an existing base like simutrans or OpenTTD and extend it to 3D support.
That's one of the ideas of the project- rather than "reinvent the wheel" they plan on borrowing as much code, 3D content, etc. from other platforms as possible. Last I knew Ogre was going to be the graphics engine and C++ was going to be used for coding "the performance intensive parts"- see the forum for more details, the coders are talking over my head already :roll:

RRT3 has passenger destinations already, but commodity prices are based on (I think) a supply/demand/distance model. I am going to lobby for being able to set freight rates manually, independent of commodity prices, so you can have all the fun of bleeding captive shippers white and cutting the throat of your competitors by stealing all their business in a rate war. Hmm. . . run the sawmill into the ground by gouing them on rates, then buy it at a steep discount. . . :twisted:
Who is John Galt?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

They provided me with my crack for my RRT3 cause I had one that was part of the bach of faulty discs. (Misaligned or something, meant you got a no cd error wen you launched)
Kind of them :mrgreen:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
wozzar
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by wozzar »

This looks promising and i hope they are successful. TTD and a few other open source games have been very successful.

I hope Sid Meir and Chris Sawyer take notice of the open source movement and bring out tycoon games that we were use to not the modern day rubbish of SMR and Locomotion which both games were flops.

And thanks to EA Simtropolis is developing a open source project for a building simulation. How ever this is very unlikely to get off the ground unless they are very disappointed by city unlimited which comes out next year.

EA abandon sim city and instead it brought out sim city society made by Tited Mill. And of course it was a flop.
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

The idea looks promising but then again so does Transport Empire and that's gotten not-very-far in years - Rail Mogul doesn't seem to have anything tangible behind it yet other than a bunch of enthusiasts - again, just like TE.

I wish Zugspiel hadn't stalled. The author made real progress with that, it was a promising open source game, but he didn't put any effort in to making it easy for others to contribute - thus when he stopped, so did the project.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
phantom25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by phantom25 »

Interesting. Wish luck to them. If I had more time myself, would join...
charlieg wrote:The idea looks promising but then again so does Transport Empire and that's gotten not-very-far in years - Rail Mogul doesn't seem to have anything tangible behind it yet other than a bunch of enthusiasts - again, just like TE.

I wish Zugspiel hadn't stalled. The author made real progress with that, it was a promising open source game, but he didn't put any effort in to making it easy for others to contribute - thus when he stopped, so did the project.
The people are the most important part (potential future players, and programers which work on it).

Transport Empire (in particullar) stalled because of people collaboration problems.
The idea itself is wonderfull, but realisation lacks the enthusiasm of concrete realisation, only empty plans and dreams were made so far (hopefully that will change ???? )...

Once the lead developer stalls, in any project (I know how professional teams work, since I was employed in software industry), the project stalls. The leading spirit of the person(s) leading (main developer, main idea maker, or better the core team) is very important. He/she must be tolerant, otherwise the project stalls.

If there are at least two people, which are alike, and full of spirit and the wish that the project succeeds, then one will support and push the other, when enthusiasm stopping occurs...
If there is one main person, but libeal and tolerant enough, to accept others idea, and adopt flexibly, then the project will succed.
Making others to contribute and be tollerant, flexible,much durability, resistance to problems and hearing wishes is the key to success of a project (always).
Hearing wishes is the most important part.

All open-source transport simulation games/patches, which succeeded, had that qualities...
That is still not all ...
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Your statement is a bit wrong.

In an open source project, what matters is people with skills.

TE had few skilled contributors, thus endless design discussions that were not acted upon. Rail Mogul looks like a repeat. I hope I'm wrong (on both counts) but I don't expect to ever see either project reach a playable state, let alone get near completion.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

charlieg wrote:Your statement is a bit wrong.

In an open source project, what matters is people with skills.

TE had few skilled contributors, thus endless design discussions that were not acted upon. Rail Mogul looks like a repeat. I hope I'm wrong (on both counts) but I don't expect to ever see either project reach a playable state, let alone get near completion.
That's a good analysis. It's what usually kills good projects.
Designer1900
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Designer1900 »

I loved playing rrt3, i also played rrt2. I really hope this gets somewhere and doesn't fail.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Given that there are 13 years between your post and the preceding one, I'd lean towards it probably having failed.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Considering that I'm seeing that RRT3 is available on Steam, I doubt you'll see any real effort on creating a clone of it.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

kamnet wrote: 26 Jun 2021 10:53 Considering that I'm seeing that RRT3 is available on Steam, I doubt you'll see any real effort on creating a clone of it.
Well, Locomotion and Rollercoaster Tycoon are available through digital distribution and they have open-source clones readily available.

Return to “Railroad Tycoon Series”