Were you surprised that OpenTTD has no AI by default?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Were your surprised when you learned about the fact that OpenTTD has no AI by default?

Yes.
30%
No.
70%

Total votes: 37

Wuzzy
Engineer
Engineer

Were you surprised that OpenTTD has no AI by default?

Post by Wuzzy »

For those of you who don't know: In OpenTTD, the game does not come with any AI (computer-controlled opponents) by default. This means if you just install OpenTTD and want to jump right into singleplayer action, there's no competition. To get competition into the singleplayer game, you first have to download a 3rd-party addon to enable competition in singleplayer.

I am starting a poll to ask the following question: Were your surprised when you learned about the fact that OpenTTD has no AI by default?
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Were you surprised that OpenTTD has no AI by default?

Post by odisseus »

When I had just started to play OpenTTD, the thought of having an AI competitor didn't so much as cross my mind. The arrangement of tracks, platforms and signals gave me more than enough of a challenge.

Later I read on the Wiki about the AIs, and I even tried out a few of them. But around the same time I also discovered the multiplayer servers, and I found that it is much more fun to play with other people than with the AIs.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I came over from TTDPatch roughly 17 centuries ago, and only because I had kept an eye on OTTD development to when it was "worth" switching from my perspective (those missing TTDPatch features drove me crazy for a long time :mrgreen: ). So, yeah, I absolutely knew what I was getting. But also, given that it happened about 3 millenia ago, if it actually somehow was a surprise for me, I've long forgotten, so I can't be 100% sure anyway ;)
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

It would be surprising if OpenTTD did have AI by default. After all, by default it has no NewGRFs, it has no gamescripts, and it has no scenarios. It only comes with basesets.
This is just something that's characteristic of OpenTTD, the developers provide a canvas which you can add whatever addon you want onto. The objectives are fairly clear about it, the goal of the developers is to not implement things which can be implemented through NewGRFs or gamescripts, or similar.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Pyoro wrote: 31 Mar 2021 09:59 I came over from TTDPatch roughly 17 centuries ago, and only because I had kept an eye on OTTD development to when it was "worth" switching from my perspective (those missing TTDPatch features drove me crazy for a long time :mrgreen: ). So, yeah, I absolutely knew what I was getting. But also, given that it happened about 3 millenia ago, if it actually somehow was a surprise for me, I've long forgotten, so I can't be 100% sure anyway ;)
I played Original TT (not Deluxe let alone a patch of it) and then downloaded OpenTTD many years later...where does that put me in your paleontology?...I was used to AI competition but had read in advance that I had to download AIs for OTTD so I did.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

No.
The game has advanced so much from its earlier days, that providing a default AI that would make most players happy would be extremely hard to code.
Its far better to pick AIs that have a particular playstyle which suits the way you want the competition.
The game now provides many AIs all with differant playstyles of which you can choose as many as you want.
I for example like playing with busses and trucks, so having an AI thats also plays the same as me , is much more fun, than having one that plays with trains or planes.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Not really? Then again, it's not something I look for in a building game anyway. To me, the "opponent" is the constant demand to keep stuff moving in my network.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

honestly, the moment i learned (back in TTO) that you can completely disable the AI players the game got sooooo much better for me. they only ever get in your way, and never manage to do anything sane. particularly the road building AI.

when that AI got removed from OpenTTD, i did not shed a tear.
Designer1900
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Designer1900 »

I was surprised for a short while, but most standard ai in games like this aren't that smart anyway. OpenTTD not having singleplayer ai is a good thing, makes implementing and using costum ai way easier and your able to add ai for different playstyles.
jgf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jgf »

I haven't played with AI in years, so haven't missed them. No idea how improved the various AI are now but the default were so brain-dead they were more of an irritant than an addition. (One of the first things OpenTTD did was remove the "cheats" which allowed you to confound the AI, which was, for me, the only fun playing with them enabled.)

Return to “General OpenTTD”