OTTD 1.11.0 - Removing the possibility of playing on flat maps in an arctic climate - a good idea?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Is it a good idea to prevent you from playing on flat random maps in an arctic climate?

(+2) Definitely good
23%
(+1) Rather good
16%
(0) I don't care
19%
(-1) Rather bad
16%
(-2) Definitely bad
26%

Total votes: 31

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OTTD 1.11.0 - Removing the possibility of playing on flat maps in an arctic climate - a good idea?

Post by andythenorth »

Simons Mith wrote: 20 Feb 2021 03:16 If it's going to be amended, please do it by greying out the unusable options, not by disregarding a user setting.
Nah, not going to do that, but thanks :)

We're not going to remove the ability to create 'very flat' or 'flat' maps just because one poster has written some walls of text here. :wink:

That would be odd. :D
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: OTTD 1.11.0 - Removing the possibility of playing on flat maps in an arctic climate - a good idea?

Post by Captain Rand »

andythenorth wrote: 20 Feb 2021 08:35 We're not going to remove the ability to create 'very flat' or 'flat' maps...
Glad to hear it.
So what's all the fuss about?

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

The different climates always had, starting with the first original TTD, different industry chains, different vehicles and different gameplay. To effect that, original TTD also had different maps for different climates. They also have different graphics, but that is secondary to the gameplay differences.

Those differences have been carried over to OTTD, even if the terragenesis terrain generator was always iffy in regards to the map differences. The inclusion of more height levels threw it totally out of wack. The recent change simply restores some of the climate differences present in the original game.

TL;DR: Different climates always had different maps, starting with original TTD.

-- Michael Lutz
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Captain Rand wrote: 20 Feb 2021 11:18
andythenorth wrote: 20 Feb 2021 08:35 We're not going to remove the ability to create 'very flat' or 'flat' maps...
Glad to hear it.
So what's all the fuss about?
1. Set terrain type will not be related to the name.

2. The height of the terrain is now closely related to the height of the snow, which causes a whole series of misunderstandings:
2.1. The actual change in terrain type here is by changing snow height. Change the terrain type setting itself doesn't change much or even nothing - where is the point and the logic? This solution ignores the current splited settings and makes it almost useless. This leads to such nonsense...

This problem can be solved by linking the terrain types with the available terrain (and snow) altitude range, which should be different for each type of terrain.
This doesn't, however, solve another problems...

2.2. Since the height of the snow line limits the height of the terrain, change only the height of the ground changes nothing. You can set the terrain height to 200, but if you don't raise the snow height, it won't change anything. To get high mountains you also need to raise the snow height - this in turn makes it impossible to get high snow covered mountains in the random map generator, which you could easily get in 1.10.3
[+] Spoiler
Generating such random snowy maps is not possible in 1.11.0-beta1
2.3. In order to obtain relatively flat random maps (very flat will not be available anymore), the snow level must be as low as possible. This can cause problems with the creating of farms. It is also impossible to obtain flat maps without snow. This can only be done by loading a previously prepared map.

3. This patch is based on a very restrictive premise from the Middle Ages of this game that forests should only be on mountain tops. This was right in the past when it was not possible to change the height of the terrain or even change the type of terrain. Today, when you can create very high mountains, sticking to this assumption leads to another nonsense of forests generated only on the very tops of these mountains.
[+] Spoiler
4. This patch does not fix the forest problem. Information about the error and the inability to generate forests or farms will still appear if the player chooses a setting other than the default.

5. The problem of forests could and can be solved efficiently, without any restrictions and without causing incomprehensible settings effects.

6. The worst in this change is the way of solving the problems: by introducing nonsensical restrictions and without respecting other styles of play than one's own, calling those simply silly.
Michi_cc wrote: 20 Feb 2021 17:42 Those differences have been carried over to OTTD, even if the terragenesis terrain generator was always iffy in regards to the map differences. The inclusion of more height levels threw it totally out of wack. The recent change simply restores some of the climate differences present in the original game.
The question is whether the right way is to create further restrictions and remove the various possibilities that have been in this game for the greater period of its existence?
Why should the player not be able to easily recreate areas in a different part of the world than just Western Canada?
Also look at how many problems this change causes. Problems that were not there before.
TrueBrain wrote: 19 Feb 2021 10:14 I might have gone a bit overboard with this, but: https://gist.github.com/TrueBrain/717ec ... dc5b2e507e
That would be a lot better for 99.9% of the players, I think :) Still rough outlines (well, wireframes) so be gentle :D
I think this project can have very nice possibilities and it is really interesting. I would like to use here a few : and ), even D, but they are in temporary quarantine...
However, it does not solve the problems created by this patch, but only changes the layout of settings, which, as you can see, gives very strange results - this problem was not there before.
TrueBrain wrote: 19 Feb 2021 10:46 please make sure you are using default settings. You say you do, but your image shows you are not :) In 1.11 the default snowline height changed to 10 (this was part of the same change as changing the terrain generator). This will fix a lot of weirdness going on in the default (!) map generation.
Oops ... It is my mistake. I'm sorry. I did tests on several versions at the same time and had to transfer the default settings from an earlier version. Sorry again.
Changing the default snow height settings is indeed a good move - it doesn't limit anything, it helps in the case of forests, and in my opinion, even the landscape looks more interesting. However, this does not change the fact that this patch doesn't eliminate all problem and if someone selects a setting other than the default, an error will still appear, either for forests or farms.
Attachments
Comparison of terrains 1.10.3 vs 1.11.0-beta1.png
(1.34 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Very flat and Alpinist terrains in 1.11.0-beta1 error.png
(412.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Trees on the peak.png
Trees on the peak.png (318.57 KiB) Viewed 661 times
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

LaChupacabra wrote: 20 Feb 2021 21:26 (..)

change only the height of the ground changes nothing
(..)
I said it before, and I say it again: nobody really understands what "max height" does. You for sure are misunderstanding its functionality (it does NOT set the height of the ground). It also doesn't belong in that GUI, so that is not on you, but on who-ever put it there. It is a s*** setting .. but I said that a few times in this topic already :)

In more detail: max-height does NOT influence the terrain generator in any way you think. Max-height sets the max (technical) tile height, and deduces some variables from there. But mostly: it does not scale how terrain is generated. That is done by a fixed table stating: for this map-dimension and this "terrain type" (flat, hilly, ..), this is the highest you can go.
If max-height is below that fixed value of that table, you get these nice cut-off hills.
You can best try this out on the temperate climate: set max-height to 240, and render maps with different terrain-type and map-size. Now set it to 120, and do it again. Notice that the maps are nearly identical? Now set it to 2 .. now they are all as flat as a pancake :)

So again, I cannot stress enough: users do not understand what max-height does. And they are not to blame, it really really really is a silly setting, and has no real reason of being there, other than confusing the f*** out of the user.

That also means, sadly enough, that your interpretation of what "the patch" does and how you think it influence map generation is not in the way that you think.

Snowline now, however, does influence the height map-gen is using (and this was the core of the fix). That means maps now, in 99% of the cases, always have at least a tiny bit of snow. The way the climate was meant to render :) And we can talk for days even years about that .. but that is really what that climate is about.

Anyway, some final words: you state your posts like you know the truth, and only you hold the true way forward. This is most likely not meant in this way, but it makes it really difficult to point out simple and honest mistakes. I am happy to read you can accept you can make mistakes, as we all make those, but please find a way to word yourself to leave more room for people who know very well how this game works (like people who are working on it for the last ~15 years etc) what is going on.
Instead you mostly run off with a few snippets and some deduction of your own. I cannot blame you for doing this, I often find myself doing this too. But it makes it really difficult to have an open discussion with you which is constructive and helps improve the game.
Just some free advise :) Take it for what it is worth :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Thank you for explaining how the maximum height works. It would be perhaps less confusing if it were named "height limit", as the map generator doesn't attempt to actually reach that height.

However, I don't agree that the snow area should be reduced to "a tiny bit". Snow-covered high mountains are definitely a sensible option. For what it's worth, the snow line in western Canada is relatively low.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

This topic has gone slightly off-topic a few times. Please let us all remain civil and discuss the question, regardless of how it was posted or expressed and regardless of how people may have responded to it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

andythenorth wrote: 20 Feb 2021 11:30
Captain Rand wrote: 20 Feb 2021 11:18 So what's all the fuss about?
Simple disagreement about what 'very flat' and 'flat' should mean, plus quite a lot of noise. :wink:

But you know...internet :twisted:
Yes, I should know, but I got suckered in. I panicked a little because I like to play in arctic but I never use a setting bumpier than hilly.

I forgot that famous quote by Abraham Lincoln - "Don't believe everything you read on the internet".

Pete.

LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Captain Rand wrote: 22 Feb 2021 00:22 I forgot that famous quote by Abraham Lincoln - "Don't believe everything you read on the internet".
I have a lot of doubts if you really know who you are quoting.

TrueBrain wrote: 20 Feb 2021 22:17 I said it before, and I say it again: nobody really understands what "max height" does. You for sure are misunderstanding its functionality
TrueBrain wrote: 20 Feb 2021 22:17 users do not understand what max-height does
Seriously? :rolleyes: Somehow I can clearly see how the setting influences the obtained effect. There's no magic here, it's repetitive, so what's the problem? Maybe instead of sitting in the code nonstop, you would play and check how these settings and changes affect the game? I really get the feeling that you don't even test some solutions.

Do you realize there is still huge lag in 1.11.0-RC1? Will you also find here that the problem does not exist?

I have never considered myself infallible. I never claim that my ideas are the best, but sometimes things are so obvious that it's hard to write differently. Yes, everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes it's worth taking a step back and going a better way than wading into the swamp just because you've come a long way.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

TrueBrain wrote: 20 Feb 2021 22:17 I said it before, and I say it again: nobody really understands what "max height" does
I do ...

it clips height of terrain at whatever you set it at, creating flattened peaks, ... provided the generator would go above it if allowed based on map size
^^^ that and nothing else ... terrain type is not related to max height ... should not be at least

I agree that this seems a bit broken since heightlevels was introduced, alpinist does generate some real fuggly terrain at times (and should be toned down), ... I do have two algorithems implemeted in my patchpack ... one for 16 levels of height and one for 256 ... not sure if I could or can fix this :roll:

ps: the terrain generation in my patchpack does look pretty sweet, if I say so myself, and maybe someone can something with it?
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

TrueBrain wrote: 20 Feb 2021 22:17 It also doesn't belong in that GUI, so that is not on you, but on who-ever put it there. It is a s*** setting .. but I said that a few times in this topic already :)
Nuke it ...and all functions related to it ... it does nothing but chop peaks ... ;)

I wonder if ic111 is still here? for real question ... MoreHeightLevels is his patch and yeah

TGP is a complicated thing ... max height should be related to map size and nothing else ... eg. level (z)128 on a (x)128 by (y)128 map is a piramid and unplayable
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

Chopping peaks, we could at least relabel it to 'Plateau Level' or something that made its behaviour clearer.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Simons Mith wrote: 19 Mar 2021 11:13 Chopping peaks, we could at least relabel it to 'Plateau Level' or something that made its behaviour clearer.
it made sense at the time ... looking back it does not

a map of 128 by 128 should not go above 32-ish and that is stretching it

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Simons Mith wrote: 19 Mar 2021 11:13 Chopping peaks, we could at least relabel it to 'Plateau Level' or something that made its behaviour clearer.
Hihi, I like that name :D And in a sense, it is also what it is doing. Just also a bit misleading, as it strongly depends on other settings whether you see that effect or not :D

Best suggestion I have read so far: "Height Limit". That seems to mostly fit :D And move it to settings .. and default it to 255 .. :P
ChillCore wrote: 19 Mar 2021 08:57 (..)

it clips height of terrain at whatever you set it at, creating flattened peaks, ... provided the generator would go above it if allowed based on map size
^^^ that and nothing else ... terrain type is not related to max height ... should not be at least
I do like the way you word it; a lot better than I did :D Cheers!
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

TrueBrain wrote: 19 Mar 2021 20:10 Hihi, I like that name :D And in a sense, it is also what it is doing. Just also a bit misleading, as it strongly depends on other settings whether you see that effect or not :D
I would to say no. The mountains don't always end in a plateau, so it doesn't make sense. However, it is possible to make the height setting the real height setting - just adjust the height limit available to the player to the selected type of terrain and the size of the map. Changes to the algorithms are not necessary. It seems very simple and would really give the visible results that the player sets. You will set a height of 25 - you have mountains with a height of 25 or slightly lower. But, I think it would be worth making some changes to the algorithm because...
ChillCore wrote: 19 Mar 2021 15:32 a map of 128 by 128 should not go above 32-ish and that is stretching it
In fact, 128x128 maps with alpine terrain type in temperate climates will not be taller than 18 in height, even if you set 255 height (limit).
In the arctic climate, you can probably increase this height (in version 1.11.0) even to 128.
18 seems of too little value for this type of terrain and what's more, not very nice plateaus are formed.
Mountains higher than 32 for this map size won't look good either.

I think that instead of specifying the currently available altitude ranges, it would be even better to specify the expected altitude ranges for each terrain type and map size (only the lower value of size is important), and then modify the algorithm to produce these results.

Another issue is that in the past (1.4) it was possible to generate moutainous maps with a small amount of flat terrain, which is impossible today. Most likely has or could be related to the "Variety distribution" setting, where a setting to "None" gives too much variation. Perhaps a better name for this setting would also be "Flattening" or something along those lines, because that's how it works.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

I've always wondered about the "variety distribution" setting. Usually I leave it alone.
What exactly does it do?

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Captain Rand wrote: 19 Mar 2021 23:51 I've always wondered about the "variety distribution" setting. Usually I leave it alone.
What exactly does it do?
Leaving it alone is a good approach :D As the answer is .. euh .. "difficult". The terrain generator, called TGP, is a Perlin Noise (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlin_noise) generator. Often you stack several layers of this noise on top of each other to get beautiful effects. "variety distribution" is a setting to add more of such layers to create extra effects. What it does exactly .. well, I can quote you two places that try to explain it.

First, tooltip:

Code: Select all

(TerraGenesis only) Control whether the map contains both mountainous and flat areas. Since this only makes the map flatter, other settings should be set to mountainous
Not super helpful .. so how about the code:

Code: Select all

* Additional map variety is provided by applying different curve maps
 * to different parts of the map. A randomized low resolution grid contains
 * which curve map to use on each part of the make. This filtered non-linearly
 * to smooth out transitions between curves, so each tile could have between
 * 100% of one map applied or 25% of four maps.
 * The curve maps define different land styles, i.e. lakes, low-lands, hills
 * and mountain ranges, although these are dependent on the landscape style
 * chosen as well.
 * The level parameter dictates the resolution of the grid. A low resolution
 * grid will result in larger continuous areas of a land style, a higher
 * resolution grid splits the style into smaller areas.
 * @param level Rough indication of the size of the grid sections to style. Small level means large grid sections.
Still not sure that is helping :D

Basically, depending on the "level" (which is what "variety distribution" influences), the map is split up in different sections. Each section is randomly assigned 1of 4 possibly layers (called "maps" in the code, but that is a bit confusing word to use in this context): lakes, low-lands, hills or mountain ranges. The terrain is "nudged" towards this type for that region of the map. The higher the "level", the smaller these sections are. In other words: over a smaller distance there is a higher chance (and this is chance based!) the elevation differs more.

To explain the "level" influence.. well, let me try it this way:

If you set the setting on "very low", you will see that when there is a bit of flat land, it is kinda big.
If you set the setting on "very high", you will see that when there is a bit of flat land, it is kinda small.

Or on yet other words: it influences how quickly landscape changes from flat to hilly to flat to hilly. Again, influences .. still chance based.

What the setting is most useful for, is if you like maps with a lot of mountains, but also really like to have flat pieces of land where you can build your infrastructure.
For example, if you generate a temperate map on 1024x1024, with Alpinist terrain type, and Variety on "None", you will see that you have very little flat land available to you. This can make these maps really difficult to play on.
If you now set Variety to "Very low" (or "Very high", I always have issues spotting the difference), you will see that you have a lot more flat land to play with.
The original idea was to add this to make more realistic looking maps. That it is disabled by default, doesn't really help there, so I am not sure this setting ever reached his goal or potential :)

I hope this way too lengthy explanation helps you a bit. The wiki also explains it in yet-another-way: https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Vari ... stribution . But it has images, so maybe that helps.

tldr; it adds an addition layer to the map that assigns a "type" (lakes, low-lands, hills or mountain ranges) to a region on the map. This, for some, make more realistic looking maps.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

TrueBrain wrote: 19 Mar 2021 20:10 Best suggestion I have read so far: "Height Limit". That seems to mostly fit :D And move it to settings .. and default it to 255 .. :P
i think there was a thing with varying snowline that makes a default of 255 impractical.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Eddi wrote: 20 Mar 2021 10:43
TrueBrain wrote: 19 Mar 2021 20:10 Best suggestion I have read so far: "Height Limit". That seems to mostly fit :D And move it to settings .. and default it to 255 .. :P
i think there was a thing with varying snowline that makes a default of 255 impractical.
You are correct. The snowline height set by NewGRFs are scaled towards the height limit. But that should be an easy fix to make that scale to the highest peak generated, honestly :) Just not sure that is the intention .. the snowline height NewGRF prop is a bit unclear to me .. so yeah, it is not as trivial as just changing the value :D

Return to “General OpenTTD”