JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lostpawn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by lostpawn »

Thank you JGR. Your suggestion solved my Font problem!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Emperor Jake wrote: 13 Mar 2021 10:46 Hi JGR, would you consider adding an option to allow renaming towns in multiplayer? I understand it was actually allowed in very very old versions of OTTD before it was removed due to griefing concerns. However it would be a useful feature to enable for creative servers :wink:
This is added now. It'll be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

JGR wrote: 14 Mar 2021 20:46
Emperor Jake wrote: 13 Mar 2021 10:46 Hi JGR, would you consider adding an option to allow renaming towns in multiplayer? I understand it was actually allowed in very very old versions of OTTD before it was removed due to griefing concerns. However it would be a useful feature to enable for creative servers :wink:
This is added now. It'll be in the next release.
Awesome, now I can finally grief creatively rename towns in multiplayer! Thanks :mrgreen:
ZaphodB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ZaphodB »

Hi there,

Is it possible to have a conditional order jump based on a train's timetable delay? I love using this patch pack to create realistic passenger networks with timetables and connecting services. The ability to have trains turn back short of their destination when delayed would be a great addition and mirrors the real practice of many operators.

Thank you for the patch pack and apologies if this suggestion has been made before.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

Would it be possible to add a feature similar to 'No vehicles expire after year X' setting that does something similar but for introductions? Like 'No vehicles get introduced after year X'?
Deicide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deicide »

I'm using realistic train braking model, and I've noticed an oddity with a section of tracks displayed on an attached image.
ProblemTrackSection.png
ProblemTrackSection.png (95.24 KiB) Viewed 839 times
On both track variants train is coming through the white blob. On the left everything is fine and the train passes the entire section at full speed; on the right train slows down when reaches the part indicated by yellow.

I noticed similar behavior with some other track configurations and the commonality seems to be in the following sequence of events:
  1. Train approaches a set of tracks going downhill.
  2. Train reserves an additional set of signal blocks to account for gravity extending the braking distance.
  3. Train detects that it no longer needs extra reservations and lowers their number.
  4. Train panics and slows down, probably still thinking it needs more reservations.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

ZaphodB wrote: 15 Mar 2021 09:26 Hi there,

Is it possible to have a conditional order jump based on a train's timetable delay? I love using this patch pack to create realistic passenger networks with timetables and connecting services. The ability to have trains turn back short of their destination when delayed would be a great addition and mirrors the real practice of many operators.

Thank you for the patch pack and apologies if this suggestion has been made before.
That should be doable, I'll look into it soonish.
Darthrafael wrote: 15 Mar 2021 12:23 Would it be possible to add a feature similar to 'No vehicles expire after year X' setting that does something similar but for introductions? Like 'No vehicles get introduced after year X'?
That shouldn't be technically difficult. What would you be intending to use that for, incidentally?
Deicide wrote: 17 Mar 2021 11:05 I'm using realistic train braking model, and I've noticed an oddity with a section of tracks displayed on an attached image.
ProblemTrackSection.png
On both track variants train is coming through the white blob. On the left everything is fine and the train passes the entire section at full speed; on the right train slows down when reaches the part indicated by yellow.

I noticed similar behavior with some other track configurations and the commonality seems to be in the following sequence of events:
  1. Train approaches a set of tracks going downhill.
  2. Train reserves an additional set of signal blocks to account for gravity extending the braking distance.
  3. Train detects that it no longer needs extra reservations and lowers their number.
  4. Train panics and slows down, probably still thinking it needs more reservations.
Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it.
Have you got a savegame that shows the issue?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

JGR wrote: 17 Mar 2021 15:48
Darthrafael wrote: 15 Mar 2021 12:23 Would it be possible to add a feature similar to 'No vehicles expire after year X' setting that does something similar but for introductions? Like 'No vehicles get introduced after year X'?
That shouldn't be technically difficult. What would you be intending to use that for, incidentally?
Using it in combination with things never expiring after a certain year to like, start with early steam locomotives, then slowly get better steam locomotives, but not get more modern stuff. Like, suspending technological advancement after a certain point, but still having it in the early game.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Darthrafael wrote: 17 Mar 2021 15:59 Using it in combination with things never expiring after a certain year to like, start with early steam locomotives, then slowly get better steam locomotives, but not get more modern stuff. Like, suspending technological advancement after a certain point, but still having it in the early game.
OK, that's added now.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Deicide
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Deicide »

JGR wrote: 17 Mar 2021 15:48 Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it.
My original savegame uses 2 grfs that I got from this forum originally, so I don't know, if I can post them here along with the save. I tried recreating the track layout in a different game with downloadable grfs only, this time the tracks worked fine, but I got a slowdown in different section, I marked it with a sign.
Attachments
Realistic Braking Slowdown Repro.sav
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Deicide wrote: 18 Mar 2021 12:47
JGR wrote: 17 Mar 2021 15:48 Thanks for reporting this, I will look into it.
My original savegame uses 2 grfs that I got from this forum originally, so I don't know, if I can post them here along with the save. I tried recreating the track layout in a different game with downloadable grfs only, this time the tracks worked fine, but I got a slowdown in different section, I marked it with a sign.
Thanks for this. I've applied a fix which should resolve this, it'll be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Michpi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Michpi »

Am I the only one who has graphical glitches in 0.40.4?
Look at the length of the rails under construction. It flickers.

Add
It looks like it happens in Polyline mode only. In Autorail mode everything is OK.
Attachments
OpenTTD jgrpp-0.40.4 2021-03-18 21-28-09.mp4
(4.47 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
OpenTTD jgrpp-0.40.2 2021-03-18 21-26-56.mp4
(4.9 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

Hi JGR, this time I have not got some crash, but two feature suggestions:
  • Is it possible to give rail depot (and maybe also road and ship ones, if easy to implement) a "close depot" button? It would be useful, since with realistic braking, one can not buldoze pieces of rail, which have PBS reservation. And if you have some busy depot on a busy place, it makes almost impossible to get rid of that depot, for example, because of rebuild of railway section. My vision is, that no trains would reserve their path into closed depot. It would be also useful, if you for example play with Ufiby's tracks, which have nice depot graphics, to make eyecandy depot yard, if you detail with eyecandy and do not want for trains to come there.
  • Another one is probably harder to implement: road pathfinder, that takes NRT speed limits into account, when pathfinding (I had a game, where all my road traffic prefered a country road, when there was a highway only few tiles longer). I know, that this can be solved by dummy bus stop, however even, when it does not load or unload, RVs stop there, making a traffic pileup, and Cargodist takes stop into account, making unwanted connection links.
Edit: Deleted second suggestion, because it is being implemented into base game. :)

Thanks,
MLG
Last edited by gebik on 20 Mar 2021 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The road vehicle pathfinder was recently fixed to consider speed limits: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/8710
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

Hi JGR,

Is it possible to add a cheat option for "station ratings will be always 100%", just like FIRS once had this setting in parameters.
Thank you.
The rest is confetti!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Michpi wrote: 18 Mar 2021 18:38 Am I the only one who has graphical glitches in 0.40.4?
Look at the length of the rails under construction. It flickers.

Add
It looks like it happens in Polyline mode only. In Autorail mode everything is OK.
This is fixed now, it'll be in the next release.
MLG wrote: 19 Mar 2021 19:45 Hi JGR, this time I have not got some crash, but two feature suggestions:
  • Is it possible to give rail depot (and maybe also road and ship ones, if easy to implement) a "close depot" button? It would be useful, since with realistic braking, one can not buldoze pieces of rail, which have PBS reservation. And if you have some busy depot on a busy place, it makes almost impossible to get rid of that depot, for example, because of rebuild of railway section. My vision is, that no trains would reserve their path into closed depot. It would be also useful, if you for example play with Ufiby's tracks, which have nice depot graphics, to make eyecandy depot yard, if you detail with eyecandy and do not want for trains to come there.
  • Another one is probably harder to implement: road pathfinder, that takes NRT speed limits into account, when pathfinding (I had a game, where all my road traffic prefered a country road, when there was a highway only few tiles longer). I know, that this can be solved by dummy bus stop, however even, when it does not load or unload, RVs stop there, making a traffic pileup, and Cargodist takes stop into account, making unwanted connection links.
Edit: Deleted second suggestion, because it is being implemented into base game. :)

Thanks,
MLG
This would be technically possible, but seems like a small gain compared to the code and UI changes required.
If the train which has reserved a route has been stopped and is stationary, the reserved track including depots can be edited/removed.
Presumably you would need to stop trains when doing substantive track layout changes even without realistic braking.
ColdIce wrote: 20 Mar 2021 07:44 Hi JGR,

Is it possible to add a cheat option for "station ratings will be always 100%", just like FIRS once had this setting in parameters.
Thank you.
There are already some GRFs available which do exactly this, e.g. viewtopic.php?p=1228729#p1228729
This may well be on bananas as well.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

ColdIce wrote: 20 Mar 2021 07:44 Hi JGR,

Thank you.
There are already some GRFs available which do exactly this, e.g. viewtopic.php?p=1228729#p1228729
This may well be on bananas as well.
I know that one, but unfortunately it doesn't support passengers and mail.
Anyway, thank you for your response and for all your work on this patchpack. It's amazing :D
The rest is confetti!
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

JGR wrote: 20 Mar 2021 19:23 If the train which has reserved a route has been stopped and is stationary, the reserved track including depots can be edited/removed.
Didn't know that. Thank you for the tip. Now I understand it.
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934

Formerly known as MLG.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

ZaphodB wrote: 15 Mar 2021 09:26 Hi there,

This is implemented now, it'll be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

Hi, JGR,
I got some strange sorting behavior: Game sorts waiting passengers at least at one station wrong.
what?
what?
strange sorting.png (11.78 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
As You can see in screenshot, it does not sort by numbers, but maybe in alphabetical order of destinations, while according to informations in window, it should be by numbers. EDIT: Also in all my previous games it was sorted by numbers, and it makes more sense. (end of edit) I did not check all stations in game, since there are many of them. However, I am attaching savegame, so it is possible to study it.
strange sorting.sav
savegame
(650.7 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Thanks for solving it!
MLG

Formerly known as MLG.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”