South-West German houses set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: South-West German houses set

Post by kamnet »

No construction stages? Oh well! Slap together something generic and we'll live with it. :)
Haldir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Haldir »

Hi Guys. Welcome back, super_dan! I'm glad that the project is still alive, because unfortunately there are far too few houses in German style in the game. I'm more of a guy model railroad player who likes to build villages and towns from his homeland (southwest Germany). And maybe it works with Michael's set, then the selection would be even bigger. :D

Friendly greetings to everyone

Haldir
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

It's been a while... jeez, a really long while... 8o

I just wanted to do a quick announcement that I finally plan on keeping my promise to upload what I have drawn and coded so far. I just need to figure out which licence is best so that nobody is restricted from messing around with this while at the same time I get that little piece of appreciation we all hope for in life.

Also I'd love to resume work on this and on some other NewGRFs that lie rusting on my hard drive. Looking at the first post, however, I realised how much work it'd be implementing all the features I've stated there. I've come to realise that project planning is a precious gift I hadn't appreciated enough when I started. That is going to change now...

I will also state that I am no longer particularly happy with the scope of this set as suggested in its name. In the mean time, for example, I've drawn one or two Swiss buildings and ask myself whether they should be included . Besides I no longer live in that area, and my new home has lots of interesting architecture, especially when it comes to more modern German buildings. So what I'll come up with probably will be an early-game rural building set for now.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Welcome back!

On licenses, most of the projects in the community have settled on GPLv2. Using that will allow most of the people who work on projects to adapt and extend your work since they're familiar with the license. In the time that you've been gone, we've only had an issue with one or two individuals who have blatantly ignored licenses, and who have been heavily criticized because of it. Almost everybody else goes out of their way to make sure that if they incorporation somebody else's work that they're given proper appreciation.

On your graphics, don't let perfect be your enemy. You're never going to achieve perfect, but you can achieve increasing levels of satisfaction by regularly working on them and releasing what you've worked on, and then refining them as your time and preferences permit. Too many projects die here because of a lack of time from formerly committed developers and then no license that allows others to extend their work.
Fraenklie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fraenklie »

I offered Chataigne from the European Houses Set my drawings yesterday but they are not exclusive, so if you need support just ask. I think I´ll start drawing some buildungs. btw. I am from south-west Germany and all buildungs I made were inspired by some buildungs in my hometown Esslingen.
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

Fraenklie wrote: 01 Mar 2021 12:20 I offered Chataigne from the European Houses Set my drawings yesterday but they are not exclusive, so if you need support just ask. I think I´ll start drawing some buildungs. btw. I am from south-west Germany and all buildungs I made were inspired by some buildungs in my hometown Esslingen.
As I just discovered, we are both be contributing to his set...

Esslingen, you say... 8) I'd love to have your hometown's most beautiful "Amtsgericht" in the set. The set as it is now will contain town and city halls where that building would fit in most perfectly. However, I welcome any help since a building set is such a big undertaking.
Fraenklie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fraenklie »

Hey Guys,

I think you have heard of the Danish Houses Set. That Set is on hold and the artist allowed to unse his buildings (it seems like). Maybe some of his graphics could be used here in this set.
super_dan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by super_dan »

Just a quick update about work in progress:
  • Fraenklie is supplying me heavily with sprites for the set, many thanks for this
  • Basic coding is finished and I am currently working on advanced concepts like automated oldtown generation; besides, I'm trying to get the flood of hotels, banks and theatres under control via the use of distance checks :roll:

I will in short create a GIThub-project for this set and then publish a BETA version. Features will include:
  • Three architectural town types with different looks (villages, towns and cities)
  • Block perimeter development (as known in the Swedish houses set "old town buildings")
  • Automated oldtown generation and protection

I am still looking for a way to switch default graphics of multi-tile house sprites dependent on game year. If someone can point me to a code example (nml) or has an idea how to do it, you're most welcome.

Return to “Graphics Development”