Mouse Flickering Issue

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBlue
Engineer
Engineer

Mouse Flickering Issue

Post by TrueBlue »

Afternoon people, I am new to the forum but have been a player of TT since it was first released back in the 90s so please go easy on me.

I have wanted to get back into the game and of course open TTD is the only choice, however I have an issue with my mouse when moving across the screen it flickers in and out of the screen as if when moving it moves behind something then it will re-appear, I have done some digging around on google and the forum but I cant find anything that solves the problem, this may seem trivial for some but it truly destroys the game for me, is there any solution? I'm not the most technical minded when it comes to code and stuff like that, from what I learnt some people also have this issue but nothing as far as I can see has solved it.

Im running the following system...

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Eight Core 3.70ghz
Geforce RTX 2080
32 GB Ram
Samsung Ultra Widescreen Monitor

I hope that when things go onto Steam this issue may change but I fear it will not, this is what I saw in the readme file from the download if its related to what I am experiencing

Mouse cursor going missing with SDL [#4997]:
Under certain circumstances SDL does not notify OpenTTD of changes with
respect to the mouse pointer, specifically whether the mouse pointer
is within the bounds of OpenTTD or not. For example, if you "Alt-Tab"
to another application the mouse cursor will still be shown in OpenTTD,
and when you move the mouse outside of the OpenTTD window so the cursor
gets hidden, open/move another application on top of the OpenTTD window
and then Alt-tab back into OpenTTD the cursor will not be shown.

We cannot fix this problem as SDL simply does not provide the required
information in these corner cases. This is a bug in SDL and as such
there is little that we can do about it.

All I want to do is enjoy the game! please help! :D
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mouse Flickering Issue

Post by jfs »

The issue you're quoting is probably not related, since OpenTTD does not use SDL on Windows.

Does this happen when the game is paused or when it's running, or both?

Can you check if it seems to be related to moving the mouse over area where other things are already animating (like vehicles driving past underneath the mouse)?

Try opening the framerate window from the "?" menu, check what framerates you get when the flickering happens.
TrueBlue
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TrueBlue »

Thanks for the reply

It happens no matter what i am moving over, though I have just noticed something, before I started playing I was setting the game up to start paused, so I could look at the map and decide what to do, so this is happened when PAUSED, i took paused off and the issue has gone away! Now I feel stupid lol

Paused the simulation rate is a solid 32 frames with no drops and the same with graphics speed with a game speed factor of 0.99x

When paused the sim speed is at zero and graphics still at 32 and obviously 0 speed factor

So the issue is when paused but lets be honest that's not really an issue for me I don't need to do much if anything while paused

You have made my day by mentioning paused and now I feel silly, thank you for the help
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Recently we fixed an issue that was causing weird mouse issues for people on Windows. Depended a bit on your setup, but it could mean that if you move your mouse at the right speed, it totally disappeared, especially when paused (it was such a nice gimmick :D).

This will be available for testing with our next nightly (https://www.openttd.org/downloads/opent ... atest.html, the one named 20210223, will be build in ~6 hours from this post). If you like, can you test this tonight see if your problems are also fixed while paused? That would really help us to know we tackled the problem once and for good (ghehe, we hope ofc :D).

Tnx :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”