Cannot connect to content server

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

penyuan
Engineer
Engineer

Cannot connect to content server

Post by penyuan »

Hello,

I haven't played OpenTTD for a long time, and was excited to download the latest OpenTTD 1.5.1 x64 (portable non-installer version) onto my Windows 8.1 system to try out. However, a while after I click on the Check Online Content button to open its window, it gives me a red error message box saying:
Could not connect to the content server...
I tried starting OpenTTD with administrator rights, and allowing it on both Private and Public networks in Windows Firewall, but the connection still fails.... What can I do? Thanks for your help.

EDIT: P.S. I have been able to connect in the past, but I can't figure what's changed that's making the content server unreachable anymore...
Last edited by penyuan on 10 Jul 2015 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Mister_X
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Cannot connect to content server

Post by Mister_X »

Do you have an anti virus program running on your pc? Which one?

Is it possible to find multiplayer games?
penyuan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penyuan »

Mister_X wrote:Do you have an anti virus program running on your pc? Which one?
I just have the default Windows Defender that came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.
Mister_X wrote:Is it possible to find multiplayer games?
Searching for multiplayer games in the Multiplayer windows (with advertised both on and off) does not show anything...
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Perhaps the appropriate ports aren't forwarded to your computer from your router. You might try to forward ports 3979 (iirc) both tcp and udp to your computer.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Is there a firewall on your computer/router that might be blocking the entire internet access for OpenTTD? Can you check your Windows Firewall (or other firewall software you installed) what it settings are? Mainly interested in the default behavior for unknown programs and if it has a program/application list, its settings for OpenTTD.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
penyuan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by penyuan »

Ah I figured it out.

Even though I was able to connect in the past (quite a long time ago), something must've happened to my default Internet connection where it is blocking the ports that OpenTTD tries to connect with. (on my end I specifically asked Windows Firewall to let OpenTTD through)

After trying to connect to the content server via a VPN, it worked!! Thanks for your suggestions/replies. I guess my ISP has become more strict about what to allow through.

Is there another way to deal with this other than using a VPN connection?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the problem is more likely in your router than at the ISP, unless your ISP is a hotel or workplace with a really restrictive firewall and proxy weirdness. check that your router/firewall actually allows UDP packages through, which is what is used for server discovery and the like.
maxiecool2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maxiecool2 »

does anybody know of a way to change the port to be able to download the content on http?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you cannot change download ports. only the server can do that (and probably won't), this applies to the whole internet, not just openttd

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”