train sprite drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

train sprite drawing

Post by gebik »

Hi all,
I have decided to redraw trains from my sets. This time not using the PixelTool, since it never gets out of it symmetric, sometimes a row of pixels gets cut out, and there are similar issues with it. So, I have decided to draw them by hand in GIMP. I have part of my first hand drawn train done, and have run into not so minor issue: I can't seem to be able to draw a nice looking pantograph. :( I would like to get some tips, or something, from those of you, who are more expierenced at this. Only thing, I have drawn by hand without any tools, is a rack rail, which I have added to existing track sprites. I welcome any help, and prefer using this thread, so anybody new to sprite drawing can also use it.

Thanks!
MLG
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: train sprite drawing

Post by LaRoso »

Yes, pantographs is one thing I struggle a lot with. I'd just say look at other people's creations and let them inspire you. It's probably best to keep them simple.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: train sprite drawing

Post by gebik »

LaRoso wrote: 22 Jan 2021 18:56 Yes, pantographs is one thing I struggle a lot with. I'd just say look at other people's creations and let them inspire you. It's probably best to keep them simple.
Thanks for the tip and reply! I have of course looked at other trains, but most of time: not so much visible pantograph on locomotive, so not good for help, since my trains have bright pantographs. I have now been testing one my attempt to see, if it looks nice. That pantograph looks IMHO suitable by now.

Return to “Graphics Development”