Seasons in temperate climate

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

peacecop kalmer:
Engineer
Engineer

Seasons in temperate climate

Post by peacecop kalmer: »

I created a map for a parish in Estonia. Now in January I look out through the window and it's snowing. However while playing "Open TTD", there's never snowing. All the trees a green in January. This is very far from the reality as no leavetrees have leaves in the reality but they do in "Open TTD". Roads are slippery in the winter by ice but they don't seem to be in "Open TTD". Is it really so that snowing in the temperate climate has been missed out?
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Seasons in temperate climate

Post by Erato »

Snow is only available for subarctic climate. A snowline that varies throughout the year can be obtained using NewGRFs like OpenGFX+ Landscape or Japan Set Landscape.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

peacecop kalmer: wrote: 04 Jan 2021 12:52 I created a map for a parish in Estonia. Now in January I look out through the window and it's snowing. However while playing "Open TTD", there's never snowing. All the trees a green in January. This is very far from the reality as no leavetrees have leaves in the reality but they do in "Open TTD". Roads are slippery in the winter by ice but they don't seem to be in "Open TTD". Is it really so that snowing in the temperate climate has been missed out?
Sub-Arctic has snow, year-around. But I agree, it's not very 'real' (although realism is never truly a goal for OpenTTD). But there's a nice solution. Download OpenGFX+ Landscape, modify the parameters to display Temperate grass in Sub-Arctic, set the snowline down to 1, and then load a game in Sub-Arctic. You will have snow from around December through March, buildings and roads will accumulate snow. It will then melt off and show bright grass and nice weather the rest of the year. In the fall fields will be harvested, in the spring they're plowed, and in the summer they produce lush vegetation.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

Yes, there are no seasons in temperature climate. There never was. If you wish to have a snowy winter in the game, you have to switch to subarctic climate. But to say that from the beginning, even there is no spring and fall.

Tschö, Auge
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

Erato wrote: 04 Jan 2021 13:22 Snow is only available for subarctic climate. A snowline that varies throughout the year can be obtained using NewGRFs like OpenGFX+ Landscape or Japan Set Landscape.
there used to be a possibility of cheating, you could change between toyland, temperate and winter. It was great because as far as I remember, it was probably from temperate to winter and it was back again, but it was a fake because when building and removing something, snow did not appear anymore ,but it was very fun to watch.

I don't remember but Was that to around version 1.0.0
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the climate cheat was removed around 9 years ago, because it caused too many problems

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”