Moderator: OpenTTD Developers
With development of Openttd in 2000s, game gets many new airports named Commuter, Metropolitan, International and Intercontinental. However City and its modified version Metropolitan airports have always had design issues which causes them to not handle the traffic very well.
That's why I have these improved designs for following airports:
- New design has all required facilities; runway, tower, hangar, radar etc... in 6x6 area.
- New design uses the 6x6 area more efficient. With this, 2 more gate areas are created.
- Traffic flow now has one way which is anti clockwise. (except when a flight at gate gets ordered to go to hangar which is player controlled thing and it doesn't occur much. Also arrival flight can go to hangar without interrupting operations like in International and Intercontinental)
- Airplanes don't need to wait each other anymore. This is also a benefit on design of International and Intercontinental airports.
- NOTE: You can say that "then use international or intercontinental airports" however these airports have high noise level, their size is 1.5 and 2 times of City airport, expensive and not available until 1990s and 2000s.
In my opinion, airports are intended to have limited throughput. Otherwise planes would trump trains as the most efficient mode of transport.
Therefore, I think that the standard set of airports doesn't need any improvements — it should remain just like it is. But I acknowledge that there are some players who want to have gigantic airports that can compete with train stations.
What the game actually needs is a way for GRF authors to provide custom airports. This has been suggested many times, and there even seems to be a patch that does that.
Yes you are absolutely right. There suppose to be a patch that provides custom airport either via NewGRF or either as modular in game:
one guy worked on modular airports, but the topic is death since over a year
Than there are Terminus Airports, a Patch that provides 13 additional Airports
And finally there is this old patch providing two bigger Airports
Personally i would rather have the solution with the modular airports, so everyone can build Airports like they need them
What hakes me sad is there are 2 major airplane NewGRF mods (WAS and av8) and yet we are stuck to use default OpenTTD airports which deadlock after x2 amount of flight than their number of gates.
Don't be sad! Be happy! Life is better!
It's just a game...
Squid Ate FISH (ships) (Released) | CHIPS Has Improved Players' Stations (Finished)
Iron Horse (trains, released) | Termite (tracks for Iron Horse, released) | Busy Bee (game script, released)
Road Hog (road vehicles, released)
The only fix is to create a plane set with realistically-sized small arcraft, but I am terrible at graphics so I consider a GRF of small aircraft, each with a fuselage the size of a bus, to be a pipe dream.
I understand that OpenTTD isn't meant to be realistic, but I consider OpenTTD to have a cartoony scale of it's own. Each bus from the vanilla game is, to me, 35 feet long, despite the width of the buses not matching this scale. Therefore, in its own weird cartoon way, each tile in OpenTTD should be 70 feet by 70 feet. Using this scale, one can create "realistically"-sized maps for playing huge games on. As I've said, ships can be considered to be small vessels of the same basic type, but aircraft not so much.
As a result, I only use the Hot Air Balloon, OpenGFX Mars Aircraft and SpaceY GRFs. None of these are meant to be scaled in any form to begin with, so I can pretend that the windowless blimps and rockets are in the scale I imagine the rest of OpenTTD to be in.
Not that I would mind the addition of modular airports, keep up the good work!