Japanese Stations Add-ons

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Japanese Stations Add-ons

Post by DemianWSE »

michael blunck wrote: 12 Dec 2020 19:02 Looks like an m4nfo error message in (internal) function _language().
That's good news, since it tells you everything is working, i.e. installed correctly! 8)
:D that is good news :D
michael blunck wrote: 12 Dec 2020 19:02 Could you check the language symbols in your function grfname()? Should be "ALL", not "all".
It does say "ALL". I copied exactly the code you gave me, maybe I needed to modify something for it to work?
DemianWSE
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

DemianWSE wrote: 12 Dec 2020 23:52
michael blunck wrote: 12 Dec 2020 19:02 Could you check the language symbols in your function grfname()? Should be "ALL", not "all".
It does say "ALL". I copied exactly the code you gave me, maybe I needed to modify something for it to work?
Could you please post your grfinit() function? The bug seems to be in line 23.
setname() and setdescription() would need strings as parameters. In case you don't use grf parameters at the moment you should delete parameter handling in grfinit(), by deleting it:

Code: Select all

grfinit(GRF_XXXX,     
    grfname(ALL, "Japanese Stations Add-ons v0.1") 
    grfdescription(ALL,CRLF T_LGRAY A9 "Original Japanese Stations drawn by Sanchimaru and Tony Babelony" CRLF "and coded by Death (E. Silberstein), stevenh and Dandan" CRLF CRLF "Add-ons by DemianWSE") 
    grfpalette(DOS)     
    grfversion(1)     
    grfminversion(1)   
)
And of course, for GRF_XXXX you'd need a proper label, as well as a proper url in grfurl(). See here:
http://www.ttdpatch.de/grfspecs/m4nfoMa ... ation.html

regards
Michael
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

michael blunck wrote: 13 Dec 2020 06:22
Some progress. I had tried changing the grfID before, but that had not worked. Now I removed the grfparameter() section and set an ID and a url the grfinit() looks like this:

grfinit(GRF_"PG32",
    grfname(ALL, "Japanese Stations Add-ons v0.1")
    grfdescription(ALL,CRLF T_LGRAY A9 "Original Japanese Stations drawn by Sanchimaru and Tony Babelony" CRLF
"and coded by Death (E. Silberstein), stevenh and Dandan" CRLF CRLF
"Add-ons by DemianWSE")
    grfurl(ALL, "https://github.com/DemianWSE/JapaneseStationsAddons")
    grfpalette(DOS)
    grfversion(1)
    grfminversion(1)
        )
    )
)
and the error I had before doesn't show up anymore :). Now I have a bunch of new errors :lol:
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
M4:stdin:28: bad expression in eval (bad input): 0xC400+PLATFORMS
M4:stdin:39: Warning: excess arguments to builtin `define' ignored
Line 28 looks like this:

classnames(PLATFORMS,
    {UK, "Japanese Platforms (Add-ons)"},
    {D, "Japanische Bahnsteige (Erweiterung)"},
    {F, UTF8 "Quais japonais (supplémentaires)"},
    {E, UTF8 "Andénes japoneses (expansión)"},
    {I, "Banchine giapponesi (ampliamento)"}
)
and line 39 like this:

define(JSADD_0, "Long Platform end",
    class(PLATFORMS)
    callbacks(CB_LAYOUT)
    exclude_widths(8)
    exclude_lengths(8)
    flags({GROUNDSPRITES, FOUNDATIONS})
)
The nfo it generated kind of looks like the ones from my platforms, I think we are closer to make this work :)
DemianWSE
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

DemianWSE wrote: The nfo it generated kind of looks like the ones from my platforms, I think we are closer to make this work :D
Yeah, looks good. :D
Now I have a bunch of new errors
Ah! My bad. Initially, I felt being "forced" to introduce some placeholders, since much of the grf info was not available from your initial file. So, I thought leaving them to you would be a good idea. :D

1. The grf-ID has to be made of by 4 bytes, i.e. PG32 would be OK, but not "GRF_"PG3"". Indeed, to get PG32 as your grf-ID, its 4 bytes must be supplied as ASCII code: 50 47 03 02.

You might introduce it as your own macro in some header file (by yours):

define(JSADD, 50 47 03 02)

and then use

grfinit(JSADD,

or

grfinit(50 47 03 02,

directly. Both will work.

2. PLATFORM as well was simply a placeholder in my example. You'll have to assign it a station-ID for this particular class. See

http://www.ttdpatch.de/grfspecs/m4nfoMa ... tions.html

for an example. _ROOFS is simply the first station-ID in my set in my PLATFORMS class, so it's defined as

define(_ROOFS, 0)

There are more classes in my set for other platform types.

3. This bug had been introduced by me! Sorry about that (I hadn't been at home when I wrote it :D ):

define(JSADD_0, "Long Platform end",     
    class(PLATFORMS)
    callbacks(CB_LAYOUT)   
    exclude_widths(8)    
    exclude_lengths(8)  
)
This is wrong in my example!

It must read:

definestation(JSADD_0, "Long Platform end",  
    class(PLATFORMS)    
    callbacks(CB_LAYOUT)  
    exclude_widths(8)    
    exclude_lengths(8)  
 )
And PLATFORMS here must be (again) a 4-byte label, you'd have to define yourself.

4. The round brackets in grfinit() need to match!

regards
Michael
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

In between my struggles with m4nfo :lol: I've started modifying the overpasses to see how they would look with stairs on only one side, this is what I've got so far:
Singlesideoverpass.png
Singlesideoverpass.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
What do you guys think? I don't like that you can't see the stairs in the one that is further to the left, I've thought about making a break (it is called an "intermediate landing" according to wikipedia) in the middle of the stairs so at least some of it will be visible behind the overpass.

I also have the graphics for overpasses and modular overpasses without platforms, as was requested, but I haven't coded them in yet. The plan is to include them in version 0.1.1 along with single sided overpasses in the not too distant future.

Cheers!
DemianWSE
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

It looks quite nice.

I wonder if you have plans to work on Japanese subway stations or anything similar.
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Intermediate landing
IMO good idea plus that they will look less steep.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

DemianWSE wrote: 18 Dec 2020 22:24 In between my struggles with m4nfo :lol: I've started modifying the overpasses to see how they would look with stairs on only one side, this is what I've got so far:
Singlesideoverpass.png

What do you guys think?
This is epic. One thing, though. I would like to ask if this is still compatible with the two-sided overpasses. It would be be best if you could combine different overpasses (single sided, dual sided). I noticed that you moved the overpass to the edge of the tile and I think this might make it not fit the existing overpasses.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

EG0611 wrote: 19 Dec 2020 06:43 I wonder if you have plans to work on Japanese subway stations or anything similar.
I thought about it, but haven't come up with any graphics for that yet. Do you recommend any images or other sets that I could use for inspiration?
perverted monkey wrote: 19 Dec 2020 06:45 IMO good idea plus that they will look less steep.
Thanks for the feedback!
Erato wrote: 19 Dec 2020 10:17 One thing, though. I would like to ask if this is still compatible with the two-sided overpasses. It would be be best if you could combine different overpasses (single sided, dual sided). I noticed that you moved the overpass to the edge of the tile and I think this might make it not fit the existing overpasses.
You're right! I moved them because I thought they would be used in the end of the platforms, but now that you mention it, one should be able to combine these with the original overpasses. I will fix it. Thanks! It would've been a pain to realize this once every graphic was drawn.

The new designs I plan to make will be displaced, to make room for the intermediate landing, but that's ok, since they won't match with the originals anyway.

Cheers!
DemianWSE
EG0611
Engineer
Engineer

Post by EG0611 »

DemianWSE wrote: 19 Dec 2020 13:31 I thought about it, but haven't come up with any graphics for that yet. Do you recommend any images or other sets that I could use for inspiration?
Well you can check Dutch Station Add On and Auz Station Add On NewGRF files and maybe you can create something similar with Japanese stations graphics. Also there are not other subway station NewGRFs than these 2 and even though they have their own issues so who knows maybe Japanese subway stations would fill that gap.

Check this out: viewtopic.php?p=1238193#p1238193
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

EG0611 wrote: 19 Dec 2020 16:44 Check this out: viewtopic.php?p=1238193#p1238193
Ah yes, I've seen that post before, it is actually the reason why I started considering adding some subway stations. I'll try to make some, but it'll probably take some time, as I first would need to draw a few non-track tiles to put on top of the stations, and I haven't started with those.

Cheers!
DemianWSE
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

I've been working on this:
singlewhiteoverpass.png
singlewhiteoverpass.png (13.11 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Any comments?

Of course, it is much harder to draw something from scratch than to simply modify existing graphics, so progress is slow.

Cheers!
DemianWSE
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

Looking good. You’re right, much harder to draw from scratch.

How does it look when you combine a few more platform together or is it this design more for two platform stations?

I tried out the grf version you previously posted and it adds a lot more variation to Japanese stations.

Since this design is more of an original design, rather than being based on the existing grf, is that the plan for your addon grf going forward?

I also used it to dip my toe into making and coding grfs for the first time, and Japanese stations have also been one I’ve been interested in. Excited about your project!
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

KeepinItRail wrote: 08 Jan 2021 23:54 How does it look when you combine a few more platform together or is it this design more for two platform stations?
I think it can go with other station tiles. For example, like this:
singlewhiteoverpass2.png
singlewhiteoverpass2.png (227.6 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
KeepinItRail wrote: 08 Jan 2021 23:54 Since this design is more of an original design, rather than being based on the existing grf, is that the plan for your addon grf going forward?
Well, I think it's a combination of both. For the time being, the plan is to add some non-track tiles and to add as many of the suggestions I've gotten as I can, many of those things will have to be new designs, and some will be just modifications to existing graphics.
KeepinItRail wrote: 08 Jan 2021 23:54 I also used it to dip my toe into making and coding grfs for the first time, and Japanese stations have also been one I’ve been interested in. Excited about your project!
That's great! There's never enough NewGRFs :D. Let me know if there's something I can help you with. Also, you are welcome to contribute to this set if you wish to!

Cheers!
DemianWSE
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

Valdez wrote: 07 Dec 2020 12:48 buffer station tiles without platform behind the buffer - i.e. platforms on one or both sides continue straight instead of an "L" shape
Today I did a quick test to see how this would look:
simplebuffers.png
simplebuffers.png (351.12 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
I'm not too happy, I think I need to modify the buffers to make them more visible and/or do something with the ground under them, to cover the tracks. Also, should the platform end in a ramp? Or have fences or something? Any advice is welcome :)
DemianWSE
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

1. As you said:
I need to modify the buffers to make them more visible
2. Fences would be he easiest to.
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

DemianWSE wrote: 09 Jan 2021 04:00 For the time being, the plan is to add some non-track tiles and to add as many of the suggestions I've gotten as I can, many of those things will have to be new designs, and some will be just modifications to existing graphics.
Glad to hear this. Japanese Stations could do with some non-track tile action.

Had my first go at playing with a sprite and drew the one at the top, to allow a walkway over tracks.

Have you heard about the NewGRF 'competition'? The theme is High Speed Rail, so anything Shinkansen themed you do could be used for this? :wink:
Attachments
Japanese Station Sprite.png
Japanese Station Sprite.png (148.69 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

perverted monkey wrote: 11 Jan 2021 11:11
Thanks for the advice! :)
KeepinItRail wrote: 11 Jan 2021 22:28 Had my first go at playing with a sprite and drew the one at the top, to allow a walkway over tracks.
Those are nice! Would you be willing to draw them in black and green too? If you send them to me I'll include them in the next release, and credit you, of course.
KeepinItRail wrote: 11 Jan 2021 22:28 Have you heard about the NewGRF 'competition'? The theme is High Speed Rail, so anything Shinkansen themed you do could be used for this? :wink:
Yea, it'd be nice to do something for it. I have an idea, but it's quite big and I don't think I have the drawing or coding skills to pull it off in time. We'll see :P
DemianWSE
KeepinItRail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KeepinItRail »

DemianWSE wrote: 12 Jan 2021 23:34 Those are nice! Would you be willing to draw them in black and green too? If you send them to me I'll include them in the next release, and credit you, of course.
I’ve made a black and green versions to add to the brown and also with and without fences.

I shared them via GitHub. Hopefully you can see them okay. I shared them via a Pull request.

Thanks for putting the code up there by the way. I couldn’t get other grf examples working with grfcodec, but I could with yours. Though, I was only able to swap out some of your stations, but when I tried to add new ones, no sign of them in the menu in game. :?
DemianWSE
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DemianWSE »

KeepinItRail wrote: 17 Jan 2021 00:11 I’ve made a black and green versions to add to the brown and also with and without fences.

I shared them via GitHub. Hopefully you can see them okay. I shared them via a Pull request.
Awesome! :D I just merged them.
KeepinItRail wrote: 17 Jan 2021 00:11 Thanks for putting the code up there by the way. I couldn’t get other grf examples working with grfcodec, but I could with yours.
That's probably because my code is the simplest it can possibly be :P, but I'm glad it helped :).
KeepinItRail wrote: 17 Jan 2021 00:11 Though, I was only able to swap out some of your stations, but when I tried to add new ones, no sign of them in the menu in game. :?
If you send me your code I can try to figure out what went wrong.

Cheers!
DemianWSE

Return to “Graphics Development”