Transmitter By Date

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Transmitter By Date

Post by javelinnl »

Transmitter By Date 1.0

Replace the default transmitter antenna by date and/or build the new objects manually.
Before 1700: Megalithic Dolmen
1700 - 1800: Stone Tower
1800 - 1900: Semaphore Tower
1900 - 1950: Fire Lookout Tower
1950 - 2050: Original Transmitter
2050 and after: Launch Tower

By JavelinNL -me-
Inspired by Rock Replacement for Transmitter
Uses graphics from the OpenGFX set
Thank you Reddit user sittinbythefire for coding advice
Attachments
transmitterbydate.grf
Transmitter By Date 1.0
(41.62 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Last edited by javelinnl on 16 Nov 2020 18:23, edited 11 times in total.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Transmitter To Tower

Post by 2TallTyler »

Congratulations on your first NewGRF! It looks great, and I love the concept.

If you're open to suggestions, a few thoughts:
  • OpenTTD graphics traditionally use a dark purple for windows, #80-87 on this palette.
  • Some stairs to get to the top might be nice! :) It looks like you drew some on the bottom level, but I don't see them continuing up.
  • The scale might be slightly large, but I suppose it depends on the size of the real tower.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

I already made those windows a touch darker because I felt they stood out too much, but yes, they still do and thanks for pointing out the correct colors. I -think- the scale is alright, they're used to spot forest fires and in the pictures I saw of them they all looked really tall, so I made sure they always towered above the trees.

Also I can't believe you immediately noticed the stairs, it was getting messy and I figured noone was really going to notice anyway, shame on me for being lazy :).

Thanks for the feedback, guess I'll now have an excuse to bump the version number all the way up to 0.2

-edit- I've bumped the version up to 0.2
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

javelinnl wrote: 07 Nov 2020 20:30 I already made those windows a touch darker because I felt they stood out too much, but yes, they still do and thanks for pointing out the correct colors. I -think- the scale is alright, they're used to spot forest fires and in the pictures I saw of them they all looked really tall, so I made sure they always towered above the trees.

Also I can't believe you immediately noticed the stairs, it was getting messy and I figured noone was really going to notice anyway, shame on me for being lazy :).

Thanks for the feedback, guess I'll now have an excuse to bump the version number all the way up to 0.2

-edit- I've bumped the version up to 0.2
For some reason, your GRF appears to have the same ID as the Finnish Trainset? When I use the in-game content downloader, the game proposes the Finnish Trainset when I click "Select upgrades"...
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

The person who made that has the same initials that I do I suppose, should be fixed now.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by javelinnl »

-edit- nevermind, my lack of coding experience bit me in the ass but somebody was helpful enough to point out a way to get the current year and still work in if/then statements.
javelinnl
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Transmitter By Date

Post by javelinnl »

Hello there, sorry for bumping myself but I'm more or less finished with version 1.0.
I'm not really sure how the GPLv3 license works though, is it enough to give OpenGFX credit or should I be more specific?
I guess I have to share everything I made myself now, right? Github
Last edited by javelinnl on 15 Nov 2020 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Transmitter By Date

Post by Gadg8eer »

javelinnl wrote: 15 Nov 2020 16:18 Hello there, sorry for bumping myself but I'm more or less finished with version 1.0.
I'm not really sure how the GLPv3 license works though, is it enough to give OpenGFX credit or should I be more specific?
I guess I have to share everything I made myself now, right? Github
Yeah, you've got it. Nice work!
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.

Return to “Graphics Development”