Iron Horse trains - releases

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Iron Horse! 2.9.0 Released 2nd November 2020

Post by andythenorth »

2TallTyler wrote: 03 Nov 2020 16:19 Incidentally, I'm glad you explained the autoreplace restrictions. I didn't realize it was possible to autoreplace wagons in addition to locomotives, and have been upgrading trains manually. :roll: This is a game-changing discovery for a trainset like Iron Horse with wagon speed limits!
OpenTTD: "EDIASD" :D I just learnt about statues for station rating. And just a couple of years ago I found ctrl-drag for signals :twisted:

Meanwhile, 2.9.1 is on Bananas, arikover has provided a French translation. No other changes.
cAmeron
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Iron Horse! 2.9.1 Released 3rd November 2020

Post by cAmeron »

Is it possible for you to code changing running costs for this set? Slightly annoyed with having express passenger trains with 4 or 5 million running costs even when basecosts is set to 1/64th and every other trainset is working. Its still a really good trainset to use and is included in my SP saves everytime.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

cAmeron wrote: 04 Nov 2020 19:06 Is it possible for you to code changing running costs for this set? Slightly annoyed with having express passenger trains with 4 or 5 million running costs even when basecosts is set to 1/64th and every other trainset is working. Its still a really good trainset to use and is included in my SP saves everytime.
Got a screenshot? :) Curious about what causes this one.

I've consistently reduced running costs in recent releases....the trains are mostly very cheap to run now. They make money easily in my games (unless a lot of transfer credits are involved).
cAmeron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cAmeron »

andythenorth wrote: 04 Nov 2020 20:00
cAmeron wrote: 04 Nov 2020 19:06 Is it possible for you to code changing running costs for this set? Slightly annoyed with having express passenger trains with 4 or 5 million running costs even when basecosts is set to 1/64th and every other trainset is working. Its still a really good trainset to use and is included in my SP saves everytime.
Got a screenshot? :) Curious about what causes this one.

I've consistently reduced running costs in recent releases....the trains are mostly very cheap to run now. They make money easily in my games (unless a lot of transfer credits are involved).
Now that I'm home, I can post this. NewGRF load loader has basecosts at the very bottom, but since it says unchanged I figured something else is the issue.
RunningCostsIssue.png
RunningCostsIssue.png (103.63 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Edit: the server that I am laying on is using Iron Horse v 2.8.0, is this a version using older running cost values?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Here's the costs I get with 2.8.0 for the same Brenner train formation. I used USD as currency.

run-costs-2-8-0.png
run-costs-2-8-0.png (124.75 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Dunno what causes the cost numbers you're getting, but I would guess they're totally unplayable :D

Guesses:
  • Inflation is on? Inflation doesn't work, it's a bug in OpenTTD and should always be turned off.
  • The running cost grf resets the base running costs to something odd?
  • Another grf is messing with costs?
  • This is a patch pack or patched server?
cAmeron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cAmeron »

It is a JGR server running 0.38.1. No inflation and I don't think we are running anything relating to running costs as a newgrf.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

cAmeron wrote: 05 Nov 2020 17:16 It is a JGR server running 0.38.1. No inflation and I don't think we are running anything relating to running costs as a newgrf.
Ok, dunno then :D File it under mystery.

EDIT. The costs in your screenshot are an exact 16x multiple of what they should be.

Possibly:

- JGRPP has a bug, I don't test any patchpacks with my grfs, so eh dunno :)
- there is a rogue grf changing the base costs and it's not obvious?

I'm favouring the rogue grf TBH, I can't imagine this being down to JGR.

Could be Horse, but I can't think how.
cAmeron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cAmeron »

I'm a dummy, on our server we use a daylength factor of 8, if I load those same grf's via saving the setup and loading a game in SP I get the same running costs, but when I set the day length factor to 1, my running cost for the cab is ~27,000.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Iron Horse! 2.10.0 Released 6th November 2020

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.10.0 now on Bananas.

Docs: https://grf.farm/iron-horse/2.10.0/html ... arted.html

Adds a single engine, primarily for use with FIRS Steeltown games. It's a US-themed engine, has been a US-themed week eh.

IRL photos: https://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/PT/i-fb37mtz/

-------------
2.10.0 Release
-------------

*Changes*
  • added Captain Steel branch freight engine, alternative to Little Bear
    • available around 1960
    • 75mph / 1150hp
    • inspired by Alco S1, EMD switchers, Brush Bagnall steelworks locos
captain_steel_dark_blue_dark_blue.png
captain_steel_dark_blue_dark_blue.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
captain_steel_red_white.png
captain_steel_red_white.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Iron Horse! 2.10.1 Released 6th November 2020

Post by andythenorth »

Double Post! (sorry)

2.10.1 now on Bananas.

-------------
2.10.1 Release
-------------

*Fixes*

- remove experimental company colour handling for wagons, which was accidentally shipped in versions 2.8.0 thru 2.10.0
- this is a revert of https://github.com/andythenorth/iron-ho ... 564f5d617c
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I had no idea there were American switchers used in the UK. They look decidedly odd with buffers and coupling links. I'd be terrified to go 75 mph in such a switcher, but I understand this isn't necessarily a "realistic" speed, rather a consequence of the tech tree. That said, it could be interesting to have a slow, very powerful locomotive class, although I don't know if that matches the rest of the Iron Horse design concepts such as freight weight modifier = 1 and all speed limits increasing over time.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

2TallTyler wrote: 06 Nov 2020 18:58 That said, it could be interesting to have a slow, very powerful locomotive class, although I don't know if that matches the rest of the Iron Horse design concepts such as freight weight modifier = 1 and all speed limits increasing over time.
Probably going to do that in a non-UK roster. Meanwhile try using lots of gronks :P
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

andythenorth wrote: 07 Nov 2020 08:39 Had an idea for further randomising wagon colours :twisted:
This. Is. Excellent.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Iron Horse! 2.11.1 Released 7th November 2020

Post by andythenorth »

Iron Horse 2.11.1 now on Bananas.

2.11.1 Release

Changes
  • experimental 'Random Wagon Colour' parameters
    • freight wagons will randomise to 1 of 4 colours when built
    • players can use the parameters to control these colours
    • options for specific colours, or company colours 1 and 2
    • ctrl-click flip the vehicle in depot to always current company colours (non-random)
    • example 1: set 4 different colours for more variety in trains
    • example 2: turn off wagon colour randomisation by setting all 4 parameters to the same colour
    • example 3: use as a workaround where OpenTTD group liveries don't support company colour choices for wagons
  • feature is experimental and may change
  • feature is compatible with Iron Horse 2.8.0+ savegames, but the new parameters may not be visible unless OpenTTD is restarted
wagon_cc_2.png
wagon_cc_2.png (50.04 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
wagon_cc.png
wagon_cc.png (70.62 KiB) Viewed 3283 times
Last edited by andythenorth on 07 Nov 2020 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Fairyfloss »

andythenorth wrote: 08 Nov 2020 22:48 Anyone tried the wagon colours parameter?

Considering changes, curious about feedback on current version.

cheers ;)
I've tried it! So here's my two cents on the system!

I quite like it, helps add even more simple variation to my trains, though I do have a suggestion on something to add.
Currently, control-clicking always sets a wagon's livery to the first company colour. Could it be possible that control-clicking sets the wagon's livery to either first OR second? So I can choose to have my trains be full random colour, or random-but-still-company colour. Perhaps if a wagon was given the colour of either parameter 1 or 2, control-click turns it into Company Colour 1, and if it was given the colour of parameter 3 or 4 it becomes company colour 2 instead? Keeps things somewhat random but still gives more control over it?
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

I'm trying it at the moment.
It brings some variety to consists, really nice.

I have some (crazy) ideas:
  • The 4 parameters for color-selection allow to fine-tune the consists, but they might be a bit "overkill". Maybe each wagon should have 2 (or more) additional fixed random colors besides the 2 company colors (without possibility to customize them)
  • The flipping of wagons in order to select the color is nice. I was thinking about giving the livery choice via Engine Refit (choice between "cc1","cc2","random"). It is a bit hacky right?
  • I was also thinking about mooaar randomization: instead of a fixed random color, a random trigger depending on the type of wagon:
    • for wagon that carry colored things (e.g. containers, flatcars...), a randomization when they load new cargo after being emptied (RA2 Vehicles bit 0)
    • for other wagons, a randomization when they get serviced and are empty (bit 1 and bit 2)
  • Of course, this should be adjustable, either by parameter (consists: "cc1", "cc2", "random", "moar random") for a global setting, or with engine refit for just some trains.
These are just some ideas, not sure if it is feasible, and not sure if everybody would enjoy that.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Thanks!

I'm going to test having just 1 parameter, with options like:
  • Random 1CC / 2CC
  • Random variations of CC1 (so use all 3 blues, or all 3 greens, or red/pink/brown etc)
  • Pseudo-realistic, changing by date, so e.g brown / grey / dark brown for early years, then more company colours later, or specific 'realistic' colours for some wagon types
  • No random
I think setting 4 colours is probably overkill.

I also remembered most players won't have newgrf developer tools enabled, so they can't change the parameter during game to see how the colours look.

I'll consider the other feedback alongside this idea :D

Return to “Graphics Releases”