First post - Dedicated server, custom town_name and day length.

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mrwho
Engineer
Engineer

First post - Dedicated server, custom town_name and day length.

Post by mrwho »

Good afternoon, all!

I've been following these forums for a couple of days now, since I decided to try and create a dedicated server here at home. I've been a TTD and OpenTTD player for years (since the original TTD came out), but I decided to go this route in order to have a centralized game running that I can access any time from anywhere.

I've hit a couple of snags though:

- I installed a NewGRF for custom town names in my language, but can't make it work with my dedicated server. If I put town_name = 21 on my config file, it goes back to english. I tried every number from 1 to 20 and portuguese town names don't come up, even though the NewGRF is stated as installed on the content command.

- I know, from reading, that it's not possible to alter the day length in the game, since it's hard coded. But are there plans to add this functionality? Would be great to run a server in near realtime.

Thanks for any insight!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: First post - Dedicated server, custom town_name and day length.

Post by Eddi »

mrwho wrote: 17 Oct 2020 12:58 - I installed a NewGRF for custom town names
the easiest way to configure NewGRFs on a dedicated server is to make a savegame in the client and upload it to the server, then start the server with "-g <savegame>"
it's not possible to alter the day length in the [...] But are there plans to add this functionality?
there exist a few patches, but all of them turned out to have some, more or less serious, but very fundamental, problems. there are currently no plans to include any of these patches.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: First post - Dedicated server, custom town_name and day length.

Post by Wahazar »

There is tricky thing with configs - they are being rewritten when server goes to shut down. You need to edit/upload configs when server is off.

If talking about daylenght patch, I recommend JGR Patch Pack - it is well maintained project, with available windows binaries, widely used by community (I see 22 servers online now)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”