ISO 639-2/3

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

ISO 639-2/3

Post by isaacrdc »

Does OpenTTD support langauges other than ISO 639-1?
Fromerly known as Alon
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ISO 639-2/3

Post by audigex »

I can't say for certain (so someone may come along and correct me), but as I understand it, OpenTTD does not use ISO 639 for language codes, rather using the language name as the identifier

The language strings are defined in a text file called, for example

Code: Select all

english.lng
and the language is selected in the Openttd.cfg file,

Code: Select all

language = english.lng
OpenTTD can therefore be translated into any language that can be written using unicode characters. Obviously not every language has been translated, and you'll struggle to find the more obscure ones... but they would all be supported if someone translated the required strings into that language.

TL;DR: As far as I'm aware ISO 639 isn't used to identify languages in OpenTTD, and OpenTTD supports any language that can be written using unicode characters.
Jon
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

audigex wrote: 10 Oct 2020 17:45
TL;DR: As far as I'm aware ISO 639 isn't used to identify languages in OpenTTD, and OpenTTD supports any language that can be written using unicode characters.
Okay that sheds some light on my question.

Now to completely make things clear,
Do you accept three letter codes? I notice OpenTTD used two letter codes followed by country code. A language I 'would like' to translate is using a three letter code and has no two letter available, is that possible?

Feel free to correct me
Fromerly known as Alon
embeddedt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by embeddedt »

OpenTTD doesn't require the language to be written using a 2-3 letter language code; as audigex mentioned above, it can have basically any name.
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

embeddedt wrote: 14 Oct 2020 19:26 OpenTTD doesn't require the language to be written using a 2-3 letter language code; as audigex mentioned above, it can have basically any name.
Thanks, this completely woke me up.
Fromerly known as Alon
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

OpenTTD only supports 2-letter codes from ISO-639-1. This is also required by all OpenTTD-related tools.

If audigex and embeddedt provide patches for OpenTTD, Eints, BaNaNaS, ... maybe this can be extended to ISO-639-2/T. Beyond that they probably also have to provide patches for Windows and OSX, not sure whether they would accept :)
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
isaacrdc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by isaacrdc »

Found this related issue, it can be used as reference in case someone is interested creating PR(s)
Fromerly known as Alon

Return to “General OpenTTD”