"Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: "Iron Horse" - A modular train set based slightly in reality

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 05 Oct 2020 15:33I have another idea for a future addition: how about an APT-P inspired train? It could be a precursor to the Helm Wind and come out in the early 1970s.
The Helm Wind did start out as 'APT-Thing', but I decided I preferred the Helm Wind. I wouldn't object to having both, but I don't really go for the shape of the APT, so I probably won't do it :)
2TallTyler wrote: 24 Sep 2020 00:09 Have you considered autocoaches as an earlier variant of the DVT? They’d go well with some of the branch line steam engines. :D
Working on this now. Can't decide what's best length, given a 6/8 engine...

* 6/8 coach, which can be combined with a 4/8 coach or van for a 16/8 (1 tile) train
* 13/8 articulated coach pair, which won't make a nice 1 tile train, but two of these with the engine in the middle gives a perfectly symmetrical 32/8 (2 tile) train

The second option is a bit weird, but the symmetry would be nice :twisted: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrk152.htm
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 05 Oct 2020 20:36 Working on this now. Can't decide what's best length, given a 6/8 engine...
I'd prefer a 6/8 coach. Better not introduce odd-length vehicles into this set that's so consistent otherwise with these types of things, you never know how your players are going to combine these things. Like electric-hauled 10-car commuter trains :twisted:

On a related note, I tried using the Railcar trailers as pseudo-DVTs and while it looks nice I found some minor graphical glitches:
Attachments
Railcar trailers use the Slammer cab even when used with the Geronimo
Railcar trailers use the Slammer cab even when used with the Geronimo
slammer3.gif (34.07 KiB) Viewed 378 times
Open doors on the 4th gen large passenger coach don't match closed ones
Open doors on the 4th gen large passenger coach don't match closed ones
doors.PNG (20.85 KiB) Viewed 378 times
Doors don't match on different views
Doors don't match on different views
doors2.PNG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 378 times
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 06 Oct 2020 14:27 On a related note, I tried using the Railcar trailers as pseudo-DVTs and while it looks nice I found some minor graphical glitches:
Sharp eyes :)

The railcar cab inconsistency I probably won't fix, it's just a bit much faff to sort it out.

The gen 4 coach doors look like an oversight :)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

andythenorth wrote: 08 Oct 2020 13:12 The railcar cab inconsistency I probably won't fix, it's just a bit much faff to sort it out.
No problem, it's easily worked around by making sure there's a railcar on both ends :wink:

I'll keep an eye out for any more bugs...

Return to “Graphics Development”