Custom train speeds for 2cc 32bpp-trainset

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ICE-T-Fan
Engineer
Engineer

Custom train speeds for 2cc 32bpp-trainset

Post by ICE-T-Fan »

I am currently playing the game with the few 32bpp sets available.

A wish I have for the developers of the 2cc 32bpp-set: It would be nice if the speed of the trains could be set via the parameters.

The background is that the trainset was probably developed with the imperial units of measurement. That is why some trains like the "SH 40" have speeds of 177 km / h. It would be nice if you could change via parameters that to the metric system so that the speed is always rounded to a full 10 km / h. So the "SH 40" then drives 180 km / h, Asia Star 270 km/h instead of 265 km/h, etc.

Or, alternatively, that you can specify speeds (within defined limits) yourself using the parameters, like in the YST trainset.
Last edited by ICE-T-Fan on 06 Oct 2020 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Metric train speeds for 2cc 32bpp-trainset

Post by odisseus »

I don't think that the speeds of the default train set are going to change, especially not exclusively in the 32bpp version.

The 2cc train set is based on real trains, so I think the maximum speed of each engine is mostly decided by the parameters of its real-life counterpart. These values might get adjusted with time, but I wouldn't expect that they be rounded to the nearest 10 miles or 10 kilometres.

Interestingly, the unit of speed used in the game internally is almost equal to the km/h... but not exactly.
ICE-T-Fan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ICE-T-Fan »

odisseus wrote: 05 Oct 2020 12:57 I don't think that the speeds of the default train set are going to change, especially not exclusively in the 32bpp version.

The 2cc train set is based on real trains, so I think the maximum speed of each engine is mostly decided by the parameters of its real-life counterpart. These values might get adjusted with time, but I wouldn't expect that they be rounded to the nearest 10 miles or 10 kilometres.

Interestingly, the unit of speed used in the game internally is almost equal to the km/h... but not exactly.
My suggestion is to decide by parameter like in the YST-Trainset. So the user can change the train speeds in a small range.

If there is the nml of the set available, I would like to modify this.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

since this is a community heavily leaning towards open source, there is almost certainly some source code available of the set you're looking for.

finding that is left as an easy exercise for the reader.
ICE-T-Fan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ICE-T-Fan »

Eddi wrote: 06 Oct 2020 05:53 since this is a community heavily leaning towards open source, there is almost certainly some source code available of the set you're looking for.

finding that is left as an easy exercise for the reader.
I tried the link in the thread of this set, but the source link on github produce a 404-page. The developer has left the community in 2012, because of a stroke. That's certainly the reason, why this set was never finished.
I am not good in graphic design, I only a coder. So I can't finish his work with new graphics.

I've tried to decompile the grf from BaNaNas with grfcodec but this failed.

Code: Select all

./grfcodec -d trains.grf 
Found grf container version 2
Decoding:
Sprite 0 at F,   0% done
Unknown colour depth 05 for sprite 161. GRFCodec currently only supports M, RGBA and RGBAM formats.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”