Airport Incomes - too high ?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

svartberg
Engineer
Engineer

Airport Incomes - too high ?

Post by svartberg »

I've started playing openTTD latest version, and was very impressed with the work you guys put into it.
I played for 20 years game time or so, and then started doing airports after noticing my opponent did the same and was very dissapointed by the unproportional income from it.

I've played quite a bit of TTD over the years, and make very high profit trains which milk every cent out of a route, yet with 3 aircrafts I make 4-5 times than the total of my 15 trains.
(in my current game time I make about a million with each of the aircrafts

This is just crazy - I don't see how an aircraft can bring me 20 times more income than a train when it takes me half a minute to make the two airports and aircraft between them, compared to the time and planning needed for the train.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: Airport Incomes - too high ?

Post by Moriarty »

They are. It's a result of increasing the plane speed (they used to fly at 1/4 reported speed, they now fly at full speed).

OTTD has some major balance issues (RVs are worthless. Ships too etc). For all the fancy new features that get added, I don't think anyone has ever bothered trying to fix them.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Moriarty wrote:OTTD has some major balance issues (RVs are worthless. Ships too etc). For all the fancy new features that get added, I don't think anyone has ever bothered trying to fix them.
Someone actually has. There's a topic about it in Development forum.
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

svartberg wrote:This is just crazy - I don't see how an aircraft can bring me 20 times more income than a train when it takes me half a minute to make the two airports and aircraft between them, compared to the time and planning needed for the train.
This is one of the main reasons I have planes disabled on my servers. It is way too easy to make an insane amount of money, where it takes some planning and work to do the same with trains.
Guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription...... is MORE COWBELL!
svartberg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by svartberg »

What about the classic TTD stats ? Has anyone made/working on a patch like that ?
It may have not been "realistic", but it was very balanced unlike the current one.

I did some searching on the forums, but so far nothing.
wadeh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wadeh »

I have the exact opposite problem. All my aircraft consistently run a negative profit, and I keep getting the popup warnings that yearly profit for a particular aircraft was negative. However, when I get the yearly overview popup, my aircraft are somehow in the positive. How does that work?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

wadeh wrote: 24 Sep 2020 17:56 I have the exact opposite problem. All my aircraft consistently run a negative profit, and I keep getting the popup warnings that yearly profit for a particular aircraft was negative. However, when I get the yearly overview popup, my aircraft are somehow in the positive. How does that work?
It probably has something to do with feeder routes or cargodist, and the passengers ending up traveling net negative distance on some legs.

Net negative distance probably needs an explanation: If you have three airports, A, B, and C, and you have a route from A to B, and one from B to C, but not one from A to C direct, then the only way to get from A to C is with a transfer at B. However, if C is actually closer to A than B is, then the relative distance from B to C when considering A the starting point is negative.
It can also perhaps involve the passengers traveling via some other, slower transport forms for part of their journey.
wadeh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wadeh »

Interesting. I had never thought about it like that. The last several games I've played, I experimented with building a few airports and consistently lost money on the airplanes regardless of what type of aircraft I bought and/or used. I built airports near and far apart all with the same result. I built the airports as stand alone stations and later adjoined bus or train depots. So I assumed that all my passenger traffic was one way at both ends and not connecting. But, since I've found aircraft to be a money loser, I avoid building airports. That sucks though because I love airplanes. I thought maybe there was a game setting that I was somehow missing.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The default game settings reduce airplanes to 1/4 their original speed. If you change this to make them faster, they’ll make significantly more money.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Airplanes are the easiest way to earn big money in this game. Without save, it is difficult to say unequivocally what is the cause of losses - it would be good if you put in some save.
There may be several reasons for this:
- Too short connections (less than 200-300 tiles)
- Lack of interest in connection - planes often fly empty or slightly full
- Too high maintenance costs (may be affected by some newGRF settings)
- The above problems increase when the speed of planes is limited in the game settings
- Connecting connections into a transport network (eg AB + CD + AC) - in financial terms, this game doesn't encourage the construction of extensive networks. The problem is the ragged method of profit sharing, so that some vehicles in the supply chain may be assigned even very large losses, while others have huge and equally disproportionate profits. The way transport is assessed at stations also has an impact to some extent - the more connections you have, the more difficult it is to maintain high interest in your transport, which means that the number of travelers begins to decline. By adding another connection, you make the situation even worse...
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”