Random Transport Chatter

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Random Transport Chatter

Post by Redirect Left »

Northern Rail will be put into public ownership, on 1st March. Arriva Rail North have run the Northern franchise since April 2016, and everything was a bit of a disaster since timetable changes in 2018

BBC News

Of course, this isn't going ot change anything at all short term, it won't suddenly fix staffing and rolling stock issues, so its still a bit of a mess, rather than an ultimate quick fix.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
harrydouthwaite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by harrydouthwaite »

Here's something I made some years ago, partly inspired by Video125 and other YouTube videos.

Vancouver's newest 'Skytrain' route, the Canada Line opened in August 2009, and was a showpiece for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. This video explores almost every single station on the route, and its connections to other destinations.
https://youtu.be/faQPTR2LrHE
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I enjoyed the Vancouver SkyTrain network when I visited in 2015. Awesome system and love the short trains every 2 minutes type approach they have.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Iran has blamed "Human Error" for the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane in January. Air defence equipment was misaligned, combined with poor communication in the military.
All hands were lost when Ukraine International Airlines flight 752 was downed on 8th January of this year.

BBC News
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A train has derailed in Scotland, during torrential rail. Given the area, I suspect the downpour caused a landslip, rather than the rain itself being responsible for the crash.
It is looking pretty serious, with the Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon declaring it an 'extremely serious incident' with 'serious injuries'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-53751678

As is common in Scotland, the derailment has occured in a fairly hard to get to location, so i'm impressed they've managed to get Ambulances on site, although understandably air ambulances are attending too so they can quickly get back out of the area with the injured if it can't be done on site.
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

Redirect Left wrote: 12 Aug 2020 13:02 A train has derailed in Scotland, during torrential rail. Given the area, I suspect the downpour caused a landslip, rather than the rain itself being responsible for the crash.
It is looking pretty serious, with the Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon declaring it an 'extremely serious incident' with 'serious injuries'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-53751678

As is common in Scotland, the derailment has occured in a fairly hard to get to location, so i'm impressed they've managed to get Ambulances on site, although understandably air ambulances are attending too so they can quickly get back out of the area with the injured if it can't be done on site.
The Unit on fire is a HST set, Wikipedia says it's 43 140 but let's not jump to conclusions.
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ium=social , So sad , early reports driver plus 1 other have died .
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It's now confirmed at least 3 people died in the above accident (BBC News).

From the images, it looks like a very bad derailment with carriages going all over the place and even on top of each other.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

When you look at the image of the accident carriages looks to be upside down and another some of it burnt they very lucky that death toll so low.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

9 plus crew on board, that train normally very busy ,due to Local restrictions ,Aberdeen my home town is in Lockdown ,public transport quiet . This section of track has recently undergone massive upgrade .The land was prone to mudslides ,And a Network Rail report from 2014 included Carmont in a "list of sites which in recent years have been greatly affected by earthslips”.Recent extreme heavy rain may have caused another slide only the investigation will tell .
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

In more HD pictures now released, it is amazing the death count is so low. I can only assume this is credited to the pandemic so the train was relatively empty.

It appears one carriage was almost entirely crushed under another in this image.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A freight train carrying diesel has derailed in Wales, after which it promptly set on fire. Police in the area have declared a major incident. All train staff are accounted for.

BBC News

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

the UK may be on the brink of ending franchises as we know them to be!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54232015
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Bring back British Rail!
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Does anyone know how this new plan is meant to work? I honestly don't understand it :?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

If the term "concession" were to be used like they're used right now in the UK for railway, the examples are mostly local services in major conurbations, ie. TfL rail, Overground, Merseyrail...
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The first usage of a hydrogen powered train in the UK has occured. The train reached speeds of 50 MPH on its 25 mile round trip journey. The train, dubbed Class 799 or named 'Hydroflex', is a modification of an old class 319, which have been running since 1987. Class 319 trains have also been converted to Class 769, which converted their electric overhead or third rail, to Class 769, turns them from being an EMU to a DMU/EMU multi-mode, so they're proving trains ripe for conversion, with 799 being I guess a HMU for Hydrogen Multiple Unit. (Probably won't get dubbed that, that'd make far too much sense!)

The next step they hope to achieve for Hydroflex, is to move all the hydrogen equipment underneath the unit, currently it takes up the inside of one of the carriages of the 4 carriage train. By the end of 2021, its designers and engineers hope to introduce it to passenger revenue service.

BBC News
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Anyone seen the Midland Pullman HST?
First I've heard about it today, and does look bloody swish!

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Yeah, fresh outta works today, and looks a lot better than I ever thought it would.

Must say, the Power Cars also look a bit odd with the top marker light!

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”