AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Emperor Jake »

2TallTyler wrote: 02 Sep 2020 14:12 There’s actually no need for any ITI code, since Waste is actually generated in Improved Town Layouts. It would be easy for ITL to detect an industry NewGRF (as it currently does with ITI) and generate WSTE, RCYC, or any desired cargo type with only a small change to the code.

I haven’t added support for FIRS or XIS yet because the Recycling Depot already generates RCYC based in town population. I see two options with only minor changes to ITL and XIS:

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot is disabled.
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce RCYC, using the cargo definition in XIS.
The easier way would be to have ITL houses generate RCYC. But like I said before it's not easy for me to make such changes to the FIRS code which would detect other GRFs and disable industries accordingly (Like I could code it in NML but I can't add code to the FIRS Python compiler). So perhaps a separate economy that removes the recycling depots? Or is there a way to override XIS industries and disable them with another GRF? There are a few posibilities here, and doing it this way also has the advantage of working with FIRS3 Extreme if people prefer that.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

I don't believe there's a way to override industries in other NewGRFs — disable_items only works on base game items and engine_override only works on engines.

If you're willing to modify the NML generated by the FIRS compiler, you would just have to add an if block around the Recycling Depot, like so:

Code: Select all

if (param["TT\03\01", 254] < 10 || (grf_current_status("TT\03\01") == 0 && grf_future_status("TT\03\01") == 0)) {
	<recycling center item block>
}
This defines the recycling center code if ITL is too old (version 10 would be the next version to add compatibility with XIS) or if ITL is not loaded before or after XIS in the NewGRF load order.
unidentifiable
Engineer
Engineer

Post by unidentifiable »

Tentatively excited for this industry set!

With FIRS4 planned to be removing the Extreme industry set, would you be willing to port this project to FIRS4 once it's complete?

I often play on large-scale maps that span entire countries rather than small regions, so the new FIRS4 focus on smaller, concise industry chains is a bit disappointing (but I can understand that there are "balance" and "gameplay" issues to take into consideration). It's hard to say goodbye to the sprawling interconnectedness of Extreme, and the industry variety that it had.

XIS looks like it's exactly what I'm after; MORE! I'm not sure if there's an industry limit in OpenTTD, but apart from crowding the map with too many frivolous industries I love the options that having tons of industries provides.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

unidentifiable wrote: 14 Sep 2020 17:33 the new FIRS4 focus on smaller, concise industry chains is a bit disappointing (but I can understand that there are "balance" and "gameplay" issues to take into consideration)
It's more that I'm interested in 'depth' rather than 'breadth'.

New v4 Steeltown is super-complex in connecting all industry types together in a very dense way. :twisted:

But I'm happy to see XIS and sets like Australian Industries do 'breadth'. :)
JohnFister
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JohnFister »

Would it be possible to include a "fund industry" price modifier in the settings? Base cost adjustment don't work with custom sets.
My Stuff
UK Objects - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87779
Object Headers - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=87609
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Sep 2020 09:30
2TallTyler wrote: 02 Sep 2020 14:12 There’s actually no need for any ITI code, since Waste is actually generated in Improved Town Layouts. It would be easy for ITL to detect an industry NewGRF (as it currently does with ITI) and generate WSTE, RCYC, or any desired cargo type with only a small change to the code.

I haven’t added support for FIRS or XIS yet because the Recycling Depot already generates RCYC based in town population. I see two options with only minor changes to ITL and XIS:

XIS: When ITL is loaded, the Recycling Depot is disabled.
ITL: When XIS is loaded, houses produce RCYC, using the cargo definition in XIS.
The easier way would be to have ITL houses generate RCYC. But like I said before it's not easy for me to make such changes to the FIRS code which would detect other GRFs and disable industries accordingly (Like I could code it in NML but I can't add code to the FIRS Python compiler). So perhaps a separate economy that removes the recycling depots? Or is there a way to override XIS industries and disable them with another GRF? There are a few posibilities here, and doing it this way also has the advantage of working with FIRS3 Extreme if people prefer that.
Well, I'm not sure what's wrong, but the MyXIS prototype is going nowhere. I can't seem to get it to behave differently at all compiling it on windows, so I guess I'll explain the changes I wanted to make and hope you'll soon be able to implement them...

The Grocer's Shop, Hardware Store, Hotel, General Store, Petrol Station and Vehicle Dealer should all create WSTE.

The Recycling Depot should turn WSTE into RCYC.

The Power Plant should produce ELTR.

There should be a new industry called the Substation which accepts ELTR, stolen from WIRES.
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

Really enjoying this industry set, awesome job!

Just wondering, can anyone help me? I would like to lower the production value of hotels they just don't fit in well for me especially with multiple industries per town enabled. Thanks.

Edit: For the time being I have found using the magic bulldozer cheat to be sufficient as hotels will generally spawn further away once removed.
Last edited by Amak on 15 Nov 2020 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tintinfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tintinfan »

Hello,

I've taken 3iff's Station Ratings and integrated it with XIS - complete with cargo sprites and rating adjustments for passenger/mail as well. This is intended to work with Erato's Peaks and Troughs.
Attachments
Tins_Station_Ratings_2.grf
(12.58 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Regards,

Tinny/Tintinfan. :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Is it possible to make edible oil chain available only in tropical climate? These palm trees look silly when in subarctic.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

McZapkie wrote: 17 Nov 2020 14:39 Is it possible to make edible oil chain available only in tropical climate? These palm trees look silly when in subarctic.
Just make it whale oil. Before 1980 or so. ;)

Or reindeer oil
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Sep 2020 09:30...
Here, I made some adjustments to some of the XIS code...

Can you implement them, or are you getting the same error I did?
Attachments
XIS.7z
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
I have Asperger's, please be easy on me about stuff. My apologies if I've been a problem for you in the past.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

andythenorth wrote: 17 Nov 2020 15:54 Just make it whale oil. Before 1980 or so. ;)
Excellent idea, water industry: Image and a kind of crossover episode ;)
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Maddog45353
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Maddog45353 »

McZapkie wrote: 19 Nov 2020 23:15
andythenorth wrote: 17 Nov 2020 15:54 Just make it whale oil. Before 1980 or so. ;)
Excellent idea, water industry: Image and a kind of crossover episode ;)
:lol: I Love it.
LoneBlackWolf
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Gadg8eer wrote: 19 Nov 2020 00:11 Here, I made some adjustments to some of the XIS code...

Sorry, as I've said before my abilities to edit the FIRS code are limited, I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code. The only ways to edit it are to learn the python code properly or sift through the generated NML and modify things there. For this reason any major modifications like adding Waste and Electricity with new mechanics are unlikely to ever happen.
McZapkie wrote: 17 Nov 2020 14:39 Is it possible to make edible oil chain available only in tropical climate? These palm trees look silly when in subarctic.
I think you meant the rubber plantations? In any case yes, a tropical economy is planned which would remove them from the main economy. I might also re-add other tropical cargos like Coffee and Diamonds eventually

Speaking of Tropics, I threw together a XIS edition of Cindini, with manually placed industries. Requires JGR Patchpack 0.39 for no reason other than I forgot to switch to vanilla :roll: I plan to redo this anyway when the aforementioned Tropical economy is completed.

Also there's a minor update on Bananas. Not much has changed, all it does is allow more industries to be built on the desert sands.
Attachments
Cindini XIS 0.5.scn
Credits to Whopper for creating the original Cinini, and Kamnet for demolishing every single industry on it so others could replace them
(5.38 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by Emperor Jake on 24 Nov 2020 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 23 Nov 2020 12:27Sorry, as I've said before my abilities to edit the FIRS code are limited, I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code.
Are you thinking of porting to FIRS 4 code?

(Assuming I actually finish that and remove a few bugs...)
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

andythenorth wrote: 23 Nov 2020 13:47
Emperor Jake wrote: 23 Nov 2020 12:27Sorry, as I've said before my abilities to edit the FIRS code are limited, I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code.
Are you thinking of porting to FIRS 4 code?

(Assuming I actually finish that and remove a few bugs...)
Sorry to be off topic:
Do you have a repo for FIRS4? I have not been able to find the source. I would very much like to look at the code and see hopefully learn stuff.
Amak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Amak »

andythenorth wrote: 23 Nov 2020 16:43
Amak wrote: 23 Nov 2020 16:05 Do you have a repo for FIRS4? I have not been able to find the source. I would very much like to look at the code and see hopefully learn stuff.
https://github.com/andythenorth/firs

v4 has a dedicated branch currently (might merge to master soon) https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/tr ... ease-track
Thank you, I am not great at github. I downloaded firs source just yesterday but did not explore through the branches haha. Firs appears to be the easiet industry grf to try and fork off of. Great job!
Gadg8eer
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gadg8eer »

Emperor Jake wrote: 23 Nov 2020 12:27
Gadg8eer wrote: 19 Nov 2020 00:11 Here, I made some adjustments to some of the XIS code...

Sorry, as I've said before my abilities to edit the FIRS code are limited, I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code. The only ways to edit it are to learn the python code properly or sift through the generated NML and modify things there. For this reason any major modifications like adding Waste and Electricity with new mechanics are unlikely to ever happen.
You don't need to include vehicles to transport waste or electricity, that's supposed to be handled by other GRFs. Can't you just splice the stuff I modified into XIS and see if it runs?
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Gadg8eer wrote: 24 Nov 2020 00:29 Can't you just splice the stuff I modified into XIS and see if it runs?
Emperor Jake literally just wrote: 23 Nov 2020 12:27 I can't just splice NML into XIS's python code.
I mean, seriously... :lol:

Gadg8teer: you really should slow down and try to pay more attention; it makes it much easier to absorb information and not come to wild conclusions. For example, Emperor Jake never said anything about vehicles... :wink:

This seems to be a common trend with you, so I'm hoping you might take this advice to heart and just try a bit harder to really understand things :) You may even find it easier to understand code yourself if you just take more time to absorb the information presented to you, instead of immediately giving up and waiting on others to do it for you :)

Return to “Graphics Development”