Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Gold Rush [32 bpp mod]

Post by arikover »

It's really nice! It has a tiny "caribbean" feeling, but goes along nicely with the land tiles.
Keep up the good work!
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

arikover wrote: 06 Sep 2020 14:51 It's really nice! It has a tiny "caribbean" feeling, but goes along nicely with the land tiles.
Keep up the good work!
Hmm... perhaps I'll do a few different versions then. Caribbean feeling is not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input! 😊
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

not to be impatient, but can we see some trains? ^^
Mac OS sucks.

......If Locomotion can't work on it......

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87176 : Let's Play Together! US Midwest!

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Bad_Brett wrote: 06 Sep 2020 18:12
arikover wrote: 06 Sep 2020 14:51 It's really nice! It has a tiny "caribbean" feeling, but goes along nicely with the land tiles.
Keep up the good work!
Hmm... perhaps I'll do a few different versions then. Caribbean feeling is not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the input! 😊
What are you looking for? (if I may so ask) Something more like Big Sur (deeper blue)?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

arikover wrote: 06 Sep 2020 22:46 What are you looking for? (if I may so ask) Something more like Big Sur (deeper blue)?
I don't know... it's really hard to make a seamless water texture with no animation that looks good. I've been using photos such as this one as a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka,_C ... l_view.jpg

I've also tried some different things...
WaterComparison.png
WaterComparison.png (205.29 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
And while I think that the bluer water looks more like Transport Tycoon, somehow I find the greener water to look more realistic. Arrrgh... All these decisions! :shock:
Blaxlandridge3 wrote: 06 Sep 2020 22:03 not to be impatient, but can we see some trains? ^^
You should be impatient - after all, I've been working on this project for +10 years. ;) Anyway, I realised that there are several incredible train sets available. For example, here's a picture of my terrain combined with a train from the Czech Train Set:
Sinnpool Bridge Transport, Nov 4th, 1930.png
(4.84 MiB) Not downloaded yet
These existing sets look so darn good that I feel that I need to do something really different to justify releasing another set. And that's what I've been working on the entire summer. :) I'll try to upload a video as soon as possible. However, my idea is to release this project in parts, and the terrain will probably be the first part. :)

Again, thank you all for your support!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Bad_Brett wrote: 07 Sep 2020 01:34
(Green vs blue water)

And while I think that the bluer water looks more like Transport Tycoon, somehow I find the greener water to look more realistic. Arrrgh... All these decisions! :shock:
Well, do you prefer a realistic or a TTD-esque look? Personally, while the greenish feels more realistic indeed, I prefer the blue because it fits the game more. But it's hard to tell when it's just water. How would an island look, for example, with green vs blue water surrounding it? It all ties together to create the bigger picture.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

Bad_Brett wrote: 07 Sep 2020 01:34
arikover wrote: 06 Sep 2020 22:46 What are you looking for? (if I may so ask) Something more like Big Sur (deeper blue)?
I don't know... it's really hard to make a seamless water texture with no animation that looks good. I've been using photos such as this one as a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka,_C ... l_view.jpg

I've also tried some different things...

WaterComparison.png

Blaxlandridge3 wrote: 06 Sep 2020 22:03 not to be impatient, but can we see some trains? ^^
You should be impatient - after all, I've been working on this project for +10 years. ;) Anyway, I realised that there are several incredible train sets available. For example, here's a picture of my terrain combined with a train from the Czech Train Set:

Sinnpool Bridge Transport, Nov 4th, 1930.png

These existing sets look so darn good that I feel that I need to do something really different to justify releasing another set. And that's what I've been working on the entire summer. :) I'll try to upload a video as soon as possible. However, my idea is to release this project in parts, and the terrain will probably be the first part. :)

Again, thank you all for your support!
Your american locos are so good, and there's barely any american mods for the game besides NARS. Nobody has really made a 32bpp US trainset, which is why I'm so excited for yours!
Mac OS sucks.

Subscribe to meh YouTube --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFaVMm ... JfXVMrYd2A?
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Chrill wrote: 07 Sep 2020 07:54 Well, do you prefer a realistic or a TTD-esque look? Personally, while the greenish feels more realistic indeed, I prefer the blue because it fits the game more. But it's hard to tell when it's just water. How would an island look, for example, with green vs blue water surrounding it? It all ties together to create the bigger picture.
Hmm... I think the goal is to do something different. I mean, I've played the game to death with NARS, FIRS and so on, sets that all feel like the belong in Transport Tycoon. I want to go in the opposite direction and break the rules. :) While I love that OpenTTD stays truthful to the original, it's still, by far, the best transport simulator I've played, and thanks to all the dedicates souls of this community, the possibilities are endless. :)
Blaxlandridge3 wrote: 07 Sep 2020 12:04 Your american locos are so good, and there's barely any american mods for the game besides NARS. Nobody has really made a 32bpp US trainset, which is why I'm so excited for yours!
Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me. I can't wait to let you guys try it and hear what you think :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Bad_Brett wrote: 07 Sep 2020 22:48Hmm... I think the goal is to do something different. I mean, I've played the game to death with NARS, FIRS and so on, sets that all feel like the belong in Transport Tycoon. I want to go in the opposite direction and break the rules. :) While I love that OpenTTD stays truthful to the original, it's still, by far, the best transport simulator I've played, and thanks to all the dedicates souls of this community, the possibilities are endless. :)
Greenish water it is!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Greenish looks better.
Blaxlandridge3
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Blaxlandridge3 »

I like the greenish water better as well.
Mac OS sucks.

Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Long time, no see. Those who remember me, probably think I abandoned this project once again. But luckily, you couldn't be more incorrect. :)

First off, I want to make declare that all my graphics are released under Creative Commons - Attribution (no commercial use). To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what defines commercial use (for example, if someone makes money from a Let's Play! YouTube Channel and plays this mod, I'm perfectly okay with that. Mobile game developer with micro payments... not so much).

Anyway, now it's time for the fun part. To be honest, I never thought that I would say this, but... this project is reaching completion. There is still a lot to do, but I'm convinced that it will be released before the end of the year. Someone thought it might be a good idea to create a YouTube page, and I thought "Why not?".

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjfXri ... HQ_SLtYJUw

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/openttd_gold_rush/

But know I need your help. I've created tons of locomotives now, but I need to set the right properties. I have some basic ideas ideas, such as that engines with fewer leading wheels should lose speed when taking curves, or that engines with fewer driving wheels should have less tractive effort.

Anyway, the line-up so far is:

1830: 0-4-0 Grasshopper, 25 mph, really slow curves, good reliability
1833: 2-4-0 John Bull, 28 mph, better curves, poor reliability
1838: 4-2-0 Norris, 32 mph, fast curves, poor tractive effoct
1844: 4-4-0 Eight-Wheeler, 40 mph, fast curves, low power
1855: 4-4-0 American, 50 mph, fast curves, low power
1864: 2-6-0 Mogul, 35 mph, slow curves, great power
1868: 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler, 45 mph, fast curves, good power
1877: 2-8-0 Consolidation, 45 mph, slow curves, great power, low maintenance cost
1885: Shay Class A, 18 mph, "infinite" power and tractive effort (narrow-gauge?)
1890: 4-4-2 Atlantic, 65 mph, fast curves, high maintenance cost, few cars at the time can handle the high speed

These are just my basic thought, but there are so many things that come into play here, such as the freight modifier, air drag coefficient and so on, so I think my best bet is to listen to what the experts have to say. :) But basically, the loop I'm going for is something like this:

1) You get a faster engine (i.e 4-4-0 American)
2) You get a more powerful engine (i.e 2-6-0 Mogul)
3) You get a an engine that's kind of hybrid between the previous two (i.e 4-6-0)

I want to achieve something like this:

- 4-4-0 American can pull three loaded passenger cars at a speed of 50 mph or five loaded cars at of 30 mph
- 2-6-0 Mogul can pull three loaded passengers cars at a speed of 35 mph or five loaded cars at 35 mph
- 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler can pull three loaded passengers cars at a speed of 45 mph or five loaded cars at 40 mph

So, now it's time to be creative. I have a couple ideas on things that could affect:

- Price
- Running cost
- Running cost when stopped
- Speed
- Power
- Tractive Effort Coefficient
- Air Drag Coefficient
- Speed loss in curves
- Speed loss in elevations
- Vehicle life

My goal is to encourage the player to utilize different kinds of engines. I want to create scenarios such as "My 4-4-0 American is faster than the Ten-Wheeler, but the cities are growing and I need to be able to pull more cars. Should I keep it, replace it with an expensive Ten-Wheeler, or perhaps remove some of the curves on the railroad and go for a 2-8-0 instead?".

At the same time, when I played this game as a kid... getting that blue box with the question if I want to try out a new engine, was the most exciting part about the entire game. So I don't want to make mod "TOO balanced" either. So, I want the new engines too SEEM really powerful, but at the same time, it should not be a good strategy to simply switch to them without a thought. So... GO! Let me hear your ideas on speed, power, tractive effort, introduction year and so on...
Attachments
0-4-0 Grasshopper.jpg
0-4-0 Grasshopper.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
2-4-0 John Bull.jpg
2-4-0 John Bull.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
4-2-0 Norris.jpg
4-2-0 Norris.jpg (55.41 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

4-4-0 Eight-Wheeler.jpg
4-4-0 Eight-Wheeler.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
4-4-0 American.jpg
4-4-0 American.jpg (55.83 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
2-6-0 Mogul.jpg
2-6-0 Mogul.jpg (55.15 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler.jpg
4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
bugreporter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bugreporter »

Bad_Brett wrote: 01 Jul 2021 04:40 Long time, no see. Those who remember me, probably think I abandoned this project once again. But luckily, you couldn't be more incorrect. :)

First off, I want to make declare that all my graphics are released under Creative Commons - Attribution (no commercial use). To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what defines commercial use (for example, if someone makes money from a Let's Play! YouTube Channel and plays this mod, I'm perfectly okay with that. Mobile game developer with micro payments... not so much).

Anyway, now it's time for the fun part. To be honest, I never thought that I would say this, but... this project is reaching completion. There is still a lot to do, but I'm convinced that it will be released before the end of the year. Someone thought it might be a good idea to create a YouTube page, and I thought "Why not?".

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjfXri ... HQ_SLtYJUw

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/openttd_gold_rush/

But know I need your help. I've created tons of locomotives now, but I need to set the right properties. I have some basic ideas ideas, such as that engines with fewer leading wheels should lose speed when taking curves, or that engines with fewer driving wheels should have less tractive effort.

Anyway, the line-up so far is:

1830: 0-4-0 Grasshopper, 25 mph, really slow curves, good reliability
1833: 2-4-0 John Bull, 28 mph, better curves, poor reliability
1838: 4-2-0 Norris, 32 mph, fast curves, poor tractive effoct
1844: 4-4-0 Eight-Wheeler, 40 mph, fast curves, low power
1855: 4-4-0 American, 50 mph, fast curves, low power
1864: 2-6-0 Mogul, 35 mph, slow curves, great power
1868: 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler, 45 mph, fast curves, good power
1877: 2-8-0 Consolidation, 45 mph, slow curves, great power, low maintenance cost
1885: Shay Class A, 18 mph, "infinite" power and tractive effort (narrow-gauge?)
1890: 4-4-2 Atlantic, 65 mph, fast curves, high maintenance cost, few cars at the time can handle the high speed

These are just my basic thought, but there are so many things that come into play here, such as the freight modifier, air drag coefficient and so on, so I think my best bet is to listen to what the experts have to say. :) But basically, the loop I'm going for is something like this:

1) You get a faster engine (i.e 4-4-0 American)
2) You get a more powerful engine (i.e 2-6-0 Mogul)
3) You get a an engine that's kind of hybrid between the previous two (i.e 4-6-0)

I want to achieve something like this:

- 4-4-0 American can pull three loaded passenger cars at a speed of 50 mph or five loaded cars at of 30 mph
- 2-6-0 Mogul can pull three loaded passengers cars at a speed of 35 mph or five loaded cars at 35 mph
- 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler can pull three loaded passengers cars at a speed of 45 mph or five loaded cars at 40 mph

So, now it's time to be creative. I have a couple ideas on things that could affect:

- Price
- Running cost
- Running cost when stopped
- Speed
- Power
- Tractive Effort Coefficient
- Air Drag Coefficient
- Speed loss in curves
- Speed loss in elevations
- Vehicle life

My goal is to encourage the player to utilize different kinds of engines. I want to create scenarios such as "My 4-4-0 American is faster than the Ten-Wheeler, but the cities are growing and I need to be able to pull more cars. Should I keep it, replace it with an expensive Ten-Wheeler, or perhaps remove some of the curves on the railroad and go for a 2-8-0 instead?".

At the same time, when I played this game as a kid... getting that blue box with the question if I want to try out a new engine, was the most exciting part about the entire game. So I don't want to make mod "TOO balanced" either. So, I want the new engines too SEEM really powerful, but at the same time, it should not be a good strategy to simply switch to them without a thought. So... GO! Let me hear your ideas on speed, power, tractive effort, introduction year and so on...
coooooooooooooool!
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

If you want an advice for engine stats & progression, try to define a few groups/classes of engines.

If you want it simple, make the newer generations in a class better in all aspects, and they will always feel welcome and powerful.

If the classes are distinct enough, it will be interesting as the player has a choice which engine to use.

NUTS goes to extreme lengths with this, but anything like "more TE&power but low speed" vs. "high speed but poor acceleration" is already good.

If you want passenger trains for short/long distance, the most important aspect is loading speed and capacity.
ImageImageImage
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

V453000 :) wrote: 01 Jul 2021 13:17 If you want an advice for engine stats & progression, try to define a few groups/classes of engines.

If you want it simple, make the newer generations in a class better in all aspects, and they will always feel welcome and powerful.

If the classes are distinct enough, it will be interesting as the player has a choice which engine to use.

NUTS goes to extreme lengths with this, but anything like "more TE&power but low speed" vs. "high speed but poor acceleration" is already good.

If you want passenger trains for short/long distance, the most important aspect is loading speed and capacity.
Thank you, those are really good suggestions. :D

Do you have any opinions on the freight modifier? Should I take it to account or try to get the right balance without it?

I'm also unsure about the air drag coefficient. Does it affect max speed or acceleration... or both?

Finally, how can I best simulate speed loss in curves due to the lack of a leading truck? Should I use a callback that automatically decreases the speed when the engine enters a curve, or are there better ways to achieve this? :)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Bad_Brett wrote: 01 Jul 2021 17:43 I'm also unsure about the air drag coefficient. Does it affect max speed or acceleration... or both?
In real life or in OpenTTD?

In the former, air drag technically affects both but becomes a lot more noticeable the faster you go. Roughly, air resistance is proportional to velocity squared. For a vehicle that goes, say, 100km/h at maximum, air resistance is barely even relevant, but for vehicles that are supposed to run 200km/h, it becomes far more important.

Technically, air drag just reduces acceleration, but at low speed it does so at a negligable rate, and at higher speeds you'll eventually run into a point where the air drag exceeds the tractive effort the vehicle can supply. And if your train's acceleration reaches zero at 150km/h, that means it can't go faster than 150km/h.
Bad_Brett
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bad_Brett »

Taschi wrote: 01 Jul 2021 17:53
Bad_Brett wrote: 01 Jul 2021 17:43 I'm also unsure about the air drag coefficient. Does it affect max speed or acceleration... or both?
In real life or in OpenTTD?

In the former, air drag technically affects both but becomes a lot more noticeable the faster you go. Roughly, air resistance is proportional to velocity squared. For a vehicle that goes, say, 100km/h at maximum, air resistance is barely even relevant, but for vehicles that are supposed to run 200km/h, it becomes far more important.

Technically, air drag just reduces acceleration, but at low speed it does so at a negligable rate, and at higher speeds you'll eventually run into a point where the air drag exceeds the tractive effort the vehicle can supply. And if your train's acceleration reaches zero at 150km/h, that means it can't go faster than 150km/h.
Okay, I see... so in other words, it doesn't really matter on most steam engines, but plays an important role on, let's say, a 4-4-2 Hiawatha. In that case, I can simply use the suggested formula 8/max_speed for most of the engines and it will be fine?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Bad_Brett wrote: 01 Jul 2021 18:20 Okay, I see... so in other words, it doesn't really matter on most steam engines, but plays an important role on, let's say, a 4-4-2 Hiawatha. In that case, I can simply use the suggested formula 8/max_speed for most of the engines and it will be fine?
Yeah, on steam engines it really only starts mattering in the "golden age of steam" with things like Mallard, the Merchant Navy class, and other stuff that goes past, dunno, 140 or 160 km/h. With anything below that, friction on the wheels is a larger factor than air resistance.

Of course that's all based on real life - OpenTTD's model for acceleration and braking isn't a perfect simulation, acceleration and deceleration are exaggerated, and personally I don't know enough about OpenTTD's acceleration model to give you any good advice on how to model things.

Return to “Graphics Development”