Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by PEPSprinterPacer »

Timberwolf wrote: 12 Aug 2020 14:25 I think that's an OpenTTD setting? (Maximum train length in tiles or something similar). The default is quite low, so with the longer vehicles it's easy to run into it. If you increase it, there's nothing in the set preventing you from adding as many Mk3/MK4 carriages as you've got space for.

(Interestingly OpenTTD doesn't apply it for multiple units if you build just one of them, probably sensible as it'd break the set otherwise. Meaning you can have much longer APT-Ps and Eurostars than all your other consists with the default settings)
The standard length limit is 7 Tiles. Can be maxed out at 64 Tiles.
Only ever been on 2 185's and 144 023!
viewtopic.php?t=87546 a screenshot thread of mobile pictures!
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Ah yes, the Azuma. Got to ride it just before The Plague started and it's fairly pleasant. Good-looking, too.

While playing the set I noticed that the GWR Railcar has a fairly long loading time, considering that it only can take 51 passengers. Is that on purpose (in which case i feel like it might be a bit too exaggerated) or a bug?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

That GWR Railcar thing is indeed a bug, looks like it doesn't have a loading speed specified in the tracking table. Should be fixed next version.

Continuing to work on modern multiple units for the next release:

I want to add a couple of Desiro City variants, at which point I think the set will have a decent representation of modern multiple units. (12 introduced 2000-2010, and 8 introduced 2010-2020).

On top of that thinking of adding the "other" Class 21 (the MaK/Vossloh small diesel hydraulics used by Eurotunnel) as there aren't many modern options for cheaper locomotives late game; if you join a network game in 2020 there's nothing between the 20mph Gronk and the evergreen Class 20, and if you want modern traction rather than just "not retired yet" there's not a single freight option available for the starting loan.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

Finally a realistic use for that purple company color!
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

How early are you intending on going with the Victorian locomotives?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

I plan to go back right to the Rainhill Trials era (and maybe have horses as an option to stretch start dates to the 1700s if the animation isn't too annoying), but the selection in the 1800s will be a lot sparser than the set's "core", probably only about 20-30 locomotives covering the 90 or so years between Murray's "Salamanca" and the current starting point. I'm not personally a fan of super early starts, I feel like I spend too much time on fast forward waiting for vehicles to crawl places at 15mph for tiny profits. But I like to have the history in there, so it'll most likely be a selection of pioneering locos with just enough to keep you busy until the 1880s when stuff with higher performance starts coming along :)

Current progress: just finishing up the last of those multiple units, now creating the variants for playing with the 6-tile/4-tile length parameter set. (I always do this with parameters - create them, then get annoyed at the amount of work they introduce...)

A couple of Desiro City variants from the new roster:

Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

... and 1.0.4 is now available on the in-game fruit store.
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

Timberwolf wrote: 15 Aug 2020 16:05 I plan to go back right to the Rainhill Trials era (and maybe have horses as an option to stretch start dates to the 1700s if the animation isn't too annoying), but the selection in the 1800s will be a lot sparser than the set's "core", probably only about 20-30 locomotives covering the 90 or so years between Murray's "Salamanca" and the current starting point. I'm not personally a fan of super early starts, I feel like I spend too much time on fast forward waiting for vehicles to crawl places at 15mph for tiny profits. But I like to have the history in there, so it'll most likely be a selection of pioneering locos with just enough to keep you busy until the 1880s when stuff with higher performance starts coming along :)

Current progress: just finishing up the last of those multiple units, now creating the variants for playing with the 6-tile/4-tile length parameter set. (I always do this with parameters - create them, then get annoyed at the amount of work they introduce...)

A couple of Desiro City variants from the new roster:

Looking good!

Understandable with the selection, horses would definitely be nice to have, could perhaps play with the track set to put some extra options such as Wagonways, then Stone blocks and fish belly rail, then onto standard rail such as is in the original pack. There's also the option for Broad gauge if it tickles your fancy.
Whitefang
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whitefang »

Do any vehicles used the 4th rail tracks currently?

Also the loading time of the Class 101 seems much longer than the Mk1 carriages; is that a bug?
PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

I've also found a bug

All of the Dual Voltage EMU'S(Except the 700) have 3 horsepower on 3rd Rail!! ?( :shock:

Also maybe add a class 139?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Interesting... that must have snuck in at the last minute, I think I was fixing the opposite problem (trains not reducing power on third rail) and fixed it a little too much. Found where it is in the template and fixing now.

The Class 101 bug is similar to the GWR Railcar, it was missing an entry in the tracking table so used the default very slow loading speed. Both got missed because they have the "wrong" vehicle ID - in the middle of the locomotives rather than the multiple units and railcars. The set could benefit from an ID renumber where I've added more things than I expected to in certain eras, but I'd rather wait until the vehicle list is stable to avoid cutting off old savegames from new vehicles while the set is still expanding.

Fourth rail and the other tracktypes... you'll have to wait and see ;)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Are there even any real-life vehicles, aside from London Underground's fleet and BR's / NSE's vehicles for the Waterloo & City line, that use the 4th rail? AFAIK, the 3rd-rail vehicles which share LU tracks (like the Capitalstar, or the old Silverlink vehicles) just used the 3rd rail, with the 1st and 2nd rail as the return path, ignoring the 4th rail, for a reduced overall voltage (420V?), which makes the whole electrical setup on the track a lot more weird than it already is.

Not that I would mind having some LU vehicles in this set.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Bugfix release 1.0.5 is now released. Not much to note other than corrections for the above reported bugs... and that this was so weird I couldn't not include it:

(For playability I used the 35mph given by Parry in their data sheet, rather than the 20mph it's limited to in real world use)
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

That thing is seriously cute. Come to think of it, if you're thinking of things that might use 4th rail, there's the 230 and 484 in the pipeline, as well as the 769 and 799 (799 should be an interesting development if they can get it going, and useful for future post-CO2 emissions ban operations).

Also, is there a chance that the Schools class might make a comeback? I notice it was in the original lineup but didn't make the betas. There's a bit of a gap of Southern locos between the SECR H and the Merchant Navy that it would help with. 8)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Electricfox wrote: 17 Aug 2020 00:54 Come to think of it, if you're thinking of things that might use 4th rail, there's the 230 and 484 in the pipeline, as well as the 769 and 799 (799 should be an interesting development if they can get it going, and useful for future post-CO2 emissions ban operations).
I can't find any indication that any of those classes is (intended to be) capable of using the 3rd/4th rail system of LU.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

Another update... 1.0.6 makes it possible to start as early as 1873 - although the selection between then and 1900 isn't fully fleshed out yet, there's enough to play with and have a little variety:

I also fixed the ID conflict which was causing the Schools Class to not show up, so that's now available again.
Electricfox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Electricfox »

Taschi wrote: 17 Aug 2020 12:19
Electricfox wrote: 17 Aug 2020 00:54 Come to think of it, if you're thinking of things that might use 4th rail, there's the 230 and 484 in the pipeline, as well as the 769 and 799 (799 should be an interesting development if they can get it going, and useful for future post-CO2 emissions ban operations).
I can't find any indication that any of those classes is (intended to be) capable of using the 3rd/4th rail system of LU.
This is true, but the 230 and 484 are ex-D78 stock, so if Timberwolf does decide to do LUL stock, and makes the D78 stock then they've also got the option of doing the Class 230 and Class 484. Likewise since they also have a 319 already in game then they've got the model for the 769 and 799 already available.

Timberwolf wrote: 17 Aug 2020 22:30 Another update... 1.0.6 makes it possible to start as early as 1873 - although the selection between then and 1900 isn't fully fleshed out yet, there's enough to play with and have a little variety:

I also fixed the ID conflict which was causing the Schools Class to not show up, so that's now available again.
Fantastic! And you've put in the A1 Terrier! My favourite steam locomotive, this makes me extremely happy. Looking very good indeed Timberwolf! Keep up the fantastic work.
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

"I'm here to drink tea and draw trains, and I'm all out of... oh no, wait, there's plenty of tea, this is excellent!"

Still slowly working on the set, some good news is I've cleaned up the coupling rod animation on the various 0-6-0s and 0-4-0s, which will be included in the next version. Other than that it's a case of adding more Victorian locomotives and a set of early plateway wagons for players to use before the first generation of railway wagons is introduce in 1850. Latest progress:

PEPSprinterPacer
Engineer
Engineer

Your train has a brake Van! :twisted:

WAit... How do the brake Van 's add a Speed Boost?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

The early vehicles update is finally here... 1.1.0 on BaNaNaS.

Plenty of new options from the dawn of the adhesion railway:

I've been playtesting a game starting from 1820, the difficulty is tough but manageable. Most importantly, remember to replace your horses: those necromancy bills get expensive once they've exceeded their natural lifespan.

There's also a small Easter egg in there to discover for those who want to play through the Rainhill Trials era ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”